Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Ridge hand strike and confussed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

Maybe a black belt here or anybody can shed light.

Well I always loved the knife hand strike which is the base of little finger to wrist. Always been a favorite of mine.

Then last month I was taught this ridge hand strike and now I am confussed on the striking surface. I spent 2 hours searching the internet and it appears every instructor disagreed on exactly where the best striking area is. It is the opposite of knife hand as you hit on the thumb side. Similar but different.

So what is the proper area to strike.

1) Base of the Big thumb knuckle to wrist bone.
    2) Base of Big knuckle of index to Wrist bone.
    3) The flat area of both Thumb and Index. Area from small knuckle of thumb to big knuckle of thumb with big knuckle of index inbetween.
    4) Something else.

Sorry to be so technical but my nature sometimes.

Help out. I will ask the instructor when I see him again in a few weeks.

Thank you. The strike is more poweful than knifehand but appears you can injury yourself more.

kmyoshi

Re: Ridge hand strike and confussed

I was taught this way at 1:10 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2r3frAdpQ

I don’t know which is truly proper but what is shown in the video, at least the way he tucks his thumb under his hand and his use of the flat striking surface (your number 3 I think) works for me. I almost hurt my thumb and wrist by using those as the striking surface. Doing it the way shown, I have a lot more power, and have not injured myself as of yet.

catapult

Or you can skip the hand and use the forearm, kinda like using the shin instead of the foot for a roundhouse kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QRZXFGFwi4

lions2011

Well I saw the video. He does it very different. He angles his hand is a strange position and has his fingers more up.

I have seen it so many ways it is odd. I just do it like a knife hand strike with the fingers straight and in a circular motion. Knife hand is more safer but the ridge may be more powerful due to the bones.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: