Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    taikei

Since jab and right cross are standard arsenals for us, may be it’s worth reading.
    http://officialcrazymonkey.blog.com/1060088/

I heard one of my instructor telling me when we get to brown belt, we do everything in reverse (right foot forward and jabbing with right hand ). True or I misheard it? Though still couple belts away, anything we should anticipate ?

johnwhitman

You should definitely start getting used to an opposite stance.

On your Black Belt test, you’ll be required to do a number of techniques, from punch combinations to weapon defenses, from an opposite fighting stance.

clfmak

Being able to use euther lead can be useful for a number of reasons. Different footwork strategies, entries etc can be used with different leads. Also, different targets present themselves depending on the lead. Some examples: To fire a right rear leg roundhouse kick at my opponent’s lead outside thigh, he must have his left leg forward. What if he has a right lead? Then I might have a right lead too (or I could use a front leg kick, but I’m not a fan of them). In reality, you could just kick to the inside of the thigh, but in tournaments usually you can only use them to the outside, but you get the idea.
    If you look at old school karate sparring techniques, there’s one where the ridge hand/radius is used to counter a lead punch, by stepping to the outside and swinging the arm underneath the opponent’s arm to strike the body (it looks like a clothesline kind of). Its hard to do becaues its a big motion to accomplish in the time frame of reacting to a punch, but it can be done, and it hurts. This also only works from an open stance. There’s lots of other techniques that make it useful to be able to use either lead.
    I think its good to practice everything from either lead becaues it makes it a symmetrical form of exercise as well.

anonymous

Yes, in later levels you will do things from an opposite stance. Don’t remember how much of it was on brown belt (this was some years ago), but I’m sure there’ll be at least some punch combinations and some defenses done from an opposite stance.

We work on it sometimes in class. Sometimes just combinations, other times (in fight class), sparring from an opposite stance. It usually feels strange and often you end up inadvertently getting back into your regular stance, because you are so used to it.

I’ve noticed, when sparring from a regular stance, it usually doesn’t feel very good when you end up in an opposite stance for some reason (after a kick or so) and, even though it’s possible to fight from there, I personally feel much better getting back to my regular stance.

That’s really too bad, because, as CLFMak was saying, there are many good reasons to switch stance sometimes in the fight. Most of all, it confuses many people, allowing you to score some points, if you know what you are doing.

To practice, you could switch stance sometimes on your own during punching exercises, or when you are alone, hitting the heavy bag. Or you could switch your stance during sparring, see how it feels to fight that way.

clfmak

Since the beginning, I was trained about equally on both sides, so it doesn’t really feel weird for me. However, I definitely feel more comfortable throwing certain attacks from each lead.

TRAINING

We train both sides as a lead side. (Though not at the same time 😆 )This starts during warm up and progresses through the session.

I used to teach wing chun several years age and noticed sometimes students could only respond and train with one leade hand/leg. If they could not use their favoured side they could not fight well. As a consequence I teach Krav equally.

I think it should be natural to change stance from the outset other wise it becomes a whole new task learning say a right jab, left cross, right hook combination. Also if you always train with say a left lead, if you opponent steps forward with a right lead you immediatly have a disadvantage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: