Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ship

Well, I’ve been going to KV for about one month now, either 2 or 3 times a week. I enjoy it and like the intense cardio workout from the warmups. However, it seems like I am making very slow progress and I keep getting told I’m not doing things correctly. I am a book smart guy but not the most coordinated. I keep considering quitting as sometimes the classes can get somewhat humiliating. However, I don’t want to give into that and do enjoy the training. I’m hoping that repetition will help and more progress will be made. Any tips?

catapult

Re: Slow Progress

Hey ship,

It sounds like a glib answer but I’m actually serious. Sometimes the best thing for “book smart” people is to read a book. Different people learn different ways. Some learn better by imitation and some learn better by having the theory explained to them. For the latter, once they have a mental image of a physical movement firmly in mind, they can do it better in the real world. Darren Levine’s “Krav Maga for Beginners” is really good at breaking down the techniques.

ship

quote catapult:

Hey ship,

It sounds like a glib answer but I’m actually serious. Sometimes the best thing for “book smart” people is to read a book. Different people learn different ways. Some learn better by imitation and some learn better by having the theory explained to them. For the latter, once they have a mental image of a physical movement firmly in mind, they can do it better in the real world. Darren Levine’s “Krav Maga for Beginners” is really good at breaking down the techniques.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I do best with repetition not of the theory but of the actual movements. I am hoping with the steps being taught again I will be a quicker learner.

Yes for ” book smart ” people still needs to learn the correct movements from experienced instructors. thumbsup

don

quote ship:

Well, I’ve been going to KV for about one month now, either 2 or 3 times a week. I enjoy it and like the intense cardio workout from the warmups. However, it seems like I am making very slow progress and I keep getting told I’m not doing things correctly. I am a book smart guy but not the most coordinated. I keep considering quitting as sometimes the classes can get somewhat humiliating. However, I don’t want to give into that and do enjoy the training. I’m hoping that repetition will help and more progress will be made. Any tips?

Repetitions is the key to just about everything I think. That being said, you have to make sure that you’re repping correctly and periodically test how well the techniques are taking root with you.

Who is telling you that you’re not doing things correctly? Instructor, fellow student, bystander? What aren’t you doing correctly? I’m Assuming that someone who takes it upon him/herself to tell you that you’re doing it wrong would have the decency/etiquette/experience to also tell you How you’re doing it wrong, Why what you’re doing is wrong, and How to do it better (and Why).

don

Wow, I actually can’t believe I’m able to post again…

catapult

quote Don:

Repetitions is the key to just about everything I think. That being said, you have to make sure that you’re repping correctly and periodically test how well the techniques are taking root with you.

Thanks Don, that’s what I was getting at with the read a book thing. Repetition is good and it’s necessary but it’s counterproductive if you’re repeating it wrong.

I was reading about an autistic teenager who was very smart in some ways and physically strong but he couldn’t run worth a damn. His arms and legs would just flap all over the place and watching other people run didn’t help, he just didn’t get it. It took a smart gym teacher to break it down for him (lift your left foot and swing it straight forward, etc.). He could run just fine after that and he couldn’t understand why nobody had ever explained it to him before.

doublestrike

Hi Ship,

I just read your original post and reply. I hope you and your training are progressing well. If you’re still having your original issue, might I suggest that you speak to your school to see if they offer private lessons / instruction?

I find that personal one-on-one teaching can sometimes better address the specific problems / issues that your instructors see in group class.

In addition, the issue can be immediately identified in a private session vs. in a group class setting. Just a suggestion to consider!

Happy training!

DoubleStrike

i’m in almost exactly the same place as op. i started the basic course pretty strong, but this next level takes way more concentration. and i’m checking out some coordination-type exercises i can do at home – like it’s hard for me to do different things with each of my arms, so i’m trying to get better at that. if i find any useful links i’ll share them, if people want.

ship

I actually switched KM schools and this one does a bit better at training beginners. I have to take about 2 weeks off now as I have a strained hamstring. Never realized how painful that could be. We were practicing kicks to just below our partner’s chest, and I missed the target and went too high with nothing to stop my leg. I went right down. Every day it is a drop better. I feel like missing 2 weeks will cause me to almost have to start again from scratch.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Sorry to hear that, not sure if they will let you but at my school whenever I’ve been hurt I’ll sit in the corner and write out the techniques in a notebook. Its always helped me.

It will come. For me, suddenly it just “clicked”, like I have been doing it all my life.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: