Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Sore arms from 360 defense

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    magpie

Is there any way to condition my wrists and forearms so they don’t hurt as much during/after 360 defense drills? Or do I need to work out with a tree like they do in kung fu movies?

My last training partner had pretty hard arms and mine are still sore 5 days after practicing 360D with him.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Sore arms from 360 defense

I use Arnica gel on anything that bruises. You can get it at whole foods.

magpie

I do use Arnica gel on bruises (which I get pretty regularly since I’m on blood thinners). However, I’m wondering if there are any exercises, etc. that I can do on my own in order to strengthen and toughen my wrists and forearms so they won’t hurt as much after practicing 360D.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I love Arnica!

Well depending on how extreme you want to be you could get a wing chun dummy and do drills on it.

or

A horizontal 4″ (ish) diameter pole

I even played around on a handcart dolly last night just cause I was bored.

The other option is I’ve seen people with small shin guards on their forearms unless you could find some kind of forearm padding?

lennykravist

IS there really any way to toughen yourself up to 360’s??? They never NOT suck! When you’re swinging for the fence, I wouldn’t think anything you could do to each other would get you used to it.

catapult

I’ve never understood why people don’t wear forearm pads for 360 drills. Of course my training partner and I are too damn old to care if anyone thinks we aren’t being manly enough. :): Some MMA gloves have quite a bit of wrist protection without looking too wimpy if you care about such things. But, the way I see it, part of the Krav mindset is NOT caring what other people think. Let the MMA guys worry about their macho images.

kmyoshi

I think just doing the 360s is conditioning the wrists. I also think if you wear pads all the time when doing 360 drills, when you actually need to do them, you’ll be in for a painful surprise.

On the other hand, you can have the attacking person wear the full sized focus mitts and that can be decent padding. But again, not really realistic. I also thought the 360s were a PITA when I first started doing them and wanted to have pads or cushioning but the instructor didn’t let us… so :beer:

don

Hey, if My arms ached like SOBs and I could barely hold the steering wheel while driving home then You’re gonna get the same thing – perpetuate the abuse is what I say! Walk to school in the snow, uphill both ways and all that… rofl2

“My grandfather had nothing. You kids today with your water. When we were kids we didn’t have water, we used to suck the fluid out of mud! And we were grateful for that fluid!” – Dom Irrera

Seriously though, as a personal opinion, although I think it’s good to know what it feels like to take strong impacts with your forearms, I’m not sure I agree that students “need” to repeatedly (session after session) train 360 until they are black/blue and they can’t open/close their hands any more.

Seems to me that the 360 defense training is for the defender of the attack – how much pain does the defender feel? IME, minimal. The person who feels it the most is the attacker but the training isn’t for him/her. All the attacker needs to do is to provide good training for the defender (for more than a few attacks) – if that can be accomplished by having the attacker wear some protective gear, I don’t see a real problem with that.

OTOH, if you Really want to deaden your forearms, there are forearm conditioning drills, solo and partner, that you can do…

Here is one – the video shows solo vs a tree but you can also do this with a partner (e.g. both facing each other standing in horse stances and crossbody impacting each others forearms at varying levels and angles)…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2M8AV42oC4

kmyoshi

You’re right Don, majority of the time the attacking person is the one that gets the short end of the stick! However, I have had some attackers with really stiff bones (and lack of meat padding…) and it hurt like hell regardless! I’m also not saying to go crazy with 360s until you’re black and blue, but there also has to be some training that involves wrist on wrist action. I guess balance is key… still, most of my instructors veto the padding so we’re SOL regardless :D:

don

Yeah, everyone’s balance point can be a little different (instructors as well as students) and the needs of the students or goals of the instruction may also be different. I believe in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZhAWi6zSI But I doubt we’d ever get an official OK to train our recruits that way. Fwiw, if there was a safe way to experience getting shot during training, I’d be all for that too… 😀

tzrider

quote KMyoshi:

You’re right Don, majority of the time the attacking person is the one that gets the short end of the stick!

When attacking in the 360 drills, I’ve taken to turning my forearm so I’m striking with the meaty underside of the forearm instead of the radius bone side of the forearm. It reduces bruising a lot.

magpie

Although I like the idea of forearm protection, I DO want to condition my arms to take impacts.

I added some forearm/reverse/hammer curls to my strength workouts at the gym and will see if those help for starters.

I do have a small tree in my backyard, so maybe I’ll have to start using that as well… :/

catapult

As far as “conditioning” your bones to take real impacts like they may see on the street, I say good luck with that. I figure Anderson Silva’s bones are pretty well conditioned but it didn’t stop this from happening. YIKES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQzYM8Bpgs

I reckon it’s a good idea to train with enough pain that the pain of a real fight won’t mess up your state of mind but beyond that it probably does more harm than good.

don

Well, after you break a bone and it heals properly, it’s supposed to be stronger than it was pre-break, right? :chair:rofl2

kmyoshi

quote catapult:

As far as “conditioning” your bones to take real impacts like they may see on the street, I say good luck with that. I figure Anderson Silva’s bones are pretty well conditioned but it didn’t stop this from happening. YIKES!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQzYM8Bpgs

I reckon it’s a good idea to train with enough pain that the pain of a real fight won’t mess up your state of mind but beyond that it probably does more harm than good.

Yeah… I’m weary of doing low kicks now. In fact, I was sparring with a friend of mine last week and I kicked his knee when he checked my low kick… my shins are still sore! We were wearing shin guards too…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: