Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Sore arms from 360 defense

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Re: Sore arms from 360 defense

Each time I do 360 defense drills they suck a little less.

crash20

Magpie I get the same soreness when we practice 360 defense in fact the last time we did it my arms were so sore that my hands started cramping and continued to do so all the way home on the subway. If fact it brings to mind leg cramps at night after class, but I think I should start another post for that question.

wiccaman

I try to train as much as possible without padding (well, except for groin guard and gumshield; they’re ALWAYS in place!)

However it can get a bit sore when you’re repeatedly doing some drills; such as being the ‘attacker’ in knife defences.

Then I tend to stick on a UBACS (‘Under body armour combat shirt’). They’re fantastic, the main body is wicking material so they’re nice and cool to train in, but the best part is that the sleeves are padded!

I’m usually a bit wary of the ‘camo’ training gear look, but I’m willing to make an exception when my wrists are about to drop off.

quote tzrider:

When attacking in the 360 drills, I’ve taken to turning my forearm so I’m striking with the meaty underside of the forearm instead of the radius bone side of the forearm. It reduces bruising a lot.

My instructors won’t let us get away with that, in fact some people in my class lost points on their test for that.

magpie

Hmmm…I was thinking of trying tzrider’s method next time, but maybe I should ask one of my instructors if I’ll lose points on the test for it. Don’t want that.

doublestrike

Another good practice when performing the 360 Defense is the vigorously rub the striking area in a downward / outward fashion (away from the heart). This will disperse bruising and massage the tissue. Over time, this will increase your forearm conditioning to where you can easily execute 360 defense w/ little discomfort and no bruising afterwards.

In addition to the above practice, it’s also important to note that both timing and body positioning plays a factor. Ensure that you try and meet the incoming attack as fast as possible; before the attacking limb reaches full apex and definitely before it begins its decent (or ascent if the attack is coming from the bottom). The reason for this is because the attack isn’t at its full power and speed yet. If contact is made after that, then you’re making contact w/ his full power + speed (Force = Mass x Acceleration) which will almost always result in pain and discomfort. Body positioning is key as well, making a firm base such that the attacking force isn’t just hitting your forearm, but rather is absorbed by your entire body.

tzrider

quote alattejavatoo:

My instructors won’t let us get away with that, in fact some people in my class lost points on their test for that.

What part of the hand/arm do your instructors expect you to attack with?

In my mind, there is no upside in requiring the attacking student to abuse his radial nerve. There is no real difference for the defender, which is what they should be testing.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: