Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    alamocitykid

I have noticed numerous discussions regarding sparring–the latest of these on the Fight Quest threads. As was discussed, sparring is a part of our KM level two curriculum and is on the test. I understand why sparring is a part of fight training, but I have never quite understood why it is an integral part of self-defense training (other than to become used to being hit). I don’t really like to spar, mainly because my slow reflexes at my advancing age result in my fully understanding how to take a punch over and over. I rely more on elbows, hammerfists, kicks and knees. I haven’t tested for level two because of this requirement.

Will some of you fine folks please enlighten me so I can gain a more positive outlook on this?

giant-killer

Re: Sparring

Well, you may be taking a punch over and over, because you have not yet learned how to see it in time, deflect it, counter or move out of the way. Those are all things you learn in sparring. Your reflexes will get better and soon you won’t get hit so often. Remember, sparring is not supposed to be 100% impact, but it’s a bit slower, for you and your partner to learn. Yes, you’ll get hit sometimes, but it’ll make you tougher, which is good. But the main thing is to work on your vision and movement, as well as fighting through pain or exhaustion, which is something you might have to do in a real fight.

alamocitykid

quote Giant Killer:

Well, you may be taking a punch over and over, because you have not yet learned how to see it in time, deflect it, counter or move out of the way. Those are all things you learn in sparring. Your reflexes will get better and soon you won’t get hit so often. Remember, sparring is not supposed to be 100% impact, but it’s a bit slower, for you and your partner to learn. Yes, you’ll get hit sometimes, but it’ll make you tougher, which is good. But the main thing is to work on your vision and movement, as well as fighting through pain or exhaustion, which is something you might have to do in a real fight.

Thanks. These are things I have been telling myself. I guess that I need to jump back into doing it.

jay99

The first point I will raise is – the stress level. It can be easy to quickly become the slayer of focus mitts and tombstone pads because they don’t move or hit back. So as aggressive as you are going against a pad you are not getting the same stress level as when you are squared off against a real person. Being able to operate under that stress can make the difference on the street. I am willing to bet there is a countless number of people who train in any number of martial art styles who when put under the stress of a real fight lose their training to their nerves or the overall intensity of the situation. Sparring is an excellent way to help you get as close to real as you can in a safe way and learn to better control your mind and body when you are under the stress of someone coming at you.

In the immortal words of Han Solo ” Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living… well that’s a different story.”

Stress is just one of many elements that sparring helps. It is also a great way to train on vision, movement, defense, control…

It also gives CJ’s Dad a healthy way to experiment on his students as he works on his latest autobiography “Memoirs of A Crazy F**ker: A Flying Spinning Axe Kick for the Soul”

mara-jade

quote Alamocitykid:

Thanks. These are things I have been telling myself. I guess that I need to jump back into doing it.

Aww, cmon Alamo – you can spar with me and hubby. We’d enjoy a new player in the gamethumbsup

Really though – what GK and Jay said are great points. You really should come over to Fight Class. I won’t lie – it can be tough but you’ll come out all the better afterwards.:wav:

Jay – love the SW reference

alamocitykid

quote mara_jade:

Aww, cmon Alamo – you can spar with me and hubby. We’d enjoy a new player in the gamethumbsup

Really though – what GK and Jay said are great points. You really should come over to Fight Class. I won’t lie – it can be tough but you’ll come out all the better afterwards.:wav:

Jay – love the SW reference

Somehow I remember you beating on me during knife/gun class while your hubby was on the disabled list.

mara-jade

And the point is??? Y’all beat up on me too so I fail to see the point of your statementrofl2. Y’all don’t go easy on ME eitherthumbsup

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Jay99:

It also gives CJ’s Dad a healthy way to experiment on his students as he works on his latest autobiography “Memoirs of A Crazy F**ker: A Flying Spinning Axe Kick for the Soul”

Jamie you kill me, I just spit out my drink…… thanks

alamocitykid

quote mara_jade:

And the point is??? Y’all beat up on me too so I fail to see the significance of your question rofl2

Actually, it was a statement, not a question. I’m beginning to regret starting the thread. By now, everyone has to be thinking I’m a wuss!!

mara-jade

Oh of course not. Believe me, first sparring classes I did I friggin hated it cause I was so slow, always pooped out, felt like I couldn’t defend myself for diddly.

You ever seen me spar with Sylvia? OMG – Miss Energizer Bunny she is and she’d whoop me in a heartbeat. DON’T feel bad – I don’t think anyone starts kicking butt in sparring.

Hubby and I would be glad to spar with you. You can hold your own – that I knowthumbsup

quote Alamocitykid:

Actually, it was a statement, not a question. I’m beginning to regret starting the thread. By now, everyone has to be thinking I’m a wuss!!

I don’t think that you’re a wuss. Lot’s of people don’t like to spar for different reasons. I know for myself (and I think Sean mentioned this) it’s difficult to not go 100%. I don’t want to go nuts and beat the hell out of somebody, so I end up being waaay more reserved than I normally would be. Also, if used too much, sparring turns the class into a fight or MMA style class rather than a true reality based SD system. So see, there does need to be a balance. Take what’s useful to you and throw the rest aside. Great topic and great thread.

clfmak

quote Alamocitykid:

I have noticed numerous discussions regarding sparring–the latest of these on the Fight Quest threads. As was discussed, sparring is a part of our KM level two curriculum and is on the test. I understand why sparring is a part of fight training, but I have never quite understood why it is an integral part of self-defense training (other than to become used to being hit). I don’t really like to spar, mainly because my slow reflexes at my advancing age result in my fully understanding how to take a punch over and over. I rely more on elbows, hammerfists, kicks and knees. I haven’t tested for level two because of this requirement.

Will some of you fine folks please enlighten me so I can gain a more positive outlook on this?

It seems to me, if you want to use elbows, hammerfists, kicks and knees, you need to find ways to train them in a live way with an acceptable amount of safety. For a introduction to aliveness, I recommend looking up Matt Thornton on Youtube. He is excellent at explaining the importance of sparring.
    There’s lots of types of sparring to develop different aspects of fighting. Some of my sparring is with 16oz gloves, shin guards, mouthpiece and headgear, under sanshou rules. This is good for developing punching, kicking and throwing at high intensity with contact from above knee to the top of the head. Some of my sparring is only with shin guards and a mouthpiece but without head contact. This is good for developing bareknuckle striking and non-fist strikes and being comfortable not wearing gear. Some is done with just eye protection- this is done slowly but incorporates all the things I can’t otherwise train- throat strikes, eye strikes/gouges, striking all sides of the neck, attacking the kidneys, headbutts, elbows to the head, straight kicks/stomps to the knees etc. Some is all grappling. Some is with kendo headgear and kempo gloves with all manner of weapons (rattan sticks, training knives, canes etc). I consider each format very useful for developing its own thing, even though they all have their limitations. I find these things far more useful for developing self defense ability than lots of other drills. If you can’t see how your sparring relates to self defense, you might want to question HOW you should spar rather than IF you should spar.

alamocitykid

Thanks for the comments CLFMAK, and all the others, too. Clearly,I have been relating sparring only to punching with headgear as opposed to incorporating other striking methods. You all have convinced me to get back into the game with some variations. Look out, MJ, I’ll be there!! As the Gunny, Clint Eastwood said in “Heartbreak Ridge,” ADAPT, INNOVATE. Thanks all.

davidx

In addition to the other comments made (performing under stress especially), I think sparring helps you to learn “distance” better then pad work in class. It’s whole different thing to hit pads even with a great partner, then to try and hit a person in sparring. Also, there is no better reminder to keeping your hands up then the instant feedback your partner will give you in sparring. 🙂

kmman

Alamo—you havent tested for level 2? Can students choose NOT to test and simnply stay in L1 for the workout?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: