Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Sparring

quote KMMAN:

Can students choose NOT to test and simnply stay in L1 for the workout?

Sure if you wanted to but each level builds on the next so the further up you climb the more fun the material gets.

Theres also no reason why you canít take the level two test pass it and then continue to go back to the level one classes to refresh and refine.

Same goes for fight classes, at our place theres plenty of upper level students who continue to go through the intro fight class just to work on perfecting their technique.

miriam

quote Jay99:

In the immortal words of Han Solo ” Good against remotes is one thing, good against the living… well that’s a different story.”

Stress is just one of many elements that sparring helps. It is also a great way to train on vision, movement, defense, control…

It also gives CJ’s Dad a healthy way to experiment on his students as he works on his latest autobiography “Memoirs of A Crazy F**ker: A Flying Spinning Axe Kick for the Soul”

Great observation, Jamie! Totally the right point – dealing with stress of incoming, “live” attacks and ability to respond and react. And on the flip side, it’s definitely NOT a test of how hard you can smack down and humilate your attacker! Boo to those who use it as such!!! :chair:

BTW, which movie and scene is that quote from??? I thought I knew all the Han Solo wise cracks. Ah, Han was SOOO dreamy!!! <<sighs>>

And as for CJ’s Dad’s book – duuuuude… with my writing expertise, you KNOW you BETTER let me write the foreward to that!!! I’ll be nice, I swear. Really. You can trust me. :D:

alamocitykid

quote KMMAN:

Alamo—you havent tested for level 2? Can students choose NOT to test and simnply stay in L1 for the workout?

Sometimes I work out in level 1, sometimes in KM1-2 classes, sometimes in level 2 classes. I was ready to test for level 2 a while back, but had cataract surgery, and that took me away for awhile, especially from taking a shot to the eyes. We have been fortunate to have gun/knife defense classes which allow those who have passed level 1 to participate, so I have been able to get some more advanced work. Also our “fight conditioning” classes (kettlebell combined with Thai pad work nonstop for an hour) and bag classes allow me to work on techniques. I admit that I need to get into some more advanced stuff,but at my age (69+) I don’t recover from injury as fast as some of you “youts,” so I pace myself and concentrate on those things I do best and feel I could use in case someone confuses me for a defenseless senior–especially those techniques which will give me time to get my concealed handgun out, if necessary.

jay99

[QUOTE=Miriam;30601] BTW, which movie and scene is that quote from??? I thought I knew all the Han Solo wise cracks. Ah, Han was SOOO dreamy!!! <<sighs>> QUOTE]

The quote comes from Star Wars (Episode IV). The gang is on their way to Alderan and Obi Wan has Luke training with a light saber against that little flying blaster thing.

Makes ya wonder though…. Would any of our stick defenses work against the light saber??

miriam

quote Jay99:

Makes ya wonder though…. Would any of our stick defenses work against the light saber??

Wrist to wrist, baby! That’s the only possible way!!! Otherwise, allow your attacker to have any wrist rotation in making the defense and BLAMMO!! :abx: You’re gonna need a Luke Skywalker arm replacement – and that’s if you’re lucky.

giant-killer

Yes, there are different forms of sparring, all useful in their own way. Yesterday we did one drill, where we were divided into different groups (gangs!) and then it was like a bar fight, anyone from one group could attack anyone else from the two other groups and vice versa.

Another thing we did was have one person be in the middle and close his eyes, then he would get a cue, open his eyes and several attacker armed with sticks, knives or even simulated chairs (pads) would attack. The defender had to decide within a split second whom to fight first, then use that person as a shield, try to get away from the others, maybe take the weapon of the first attacker if possible. Each fight only lasted perhaps 15 seconds, but it’s a very good way to train.

So, there are various forms of sparring, all very useful in their own way, as Mak said.

I also remember being a newbie years ago and watching the fight class, which looked very intimidating. Then one day I tried it and just kept coming. Now I’m there all the time. So, I’d say, just go for it.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: