Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

Do they usually start sparring at level 2 ??? I imagine they start out with light contact??

I think light to medium contact sparring is a must to develop in any martial arts.
    Full contact is just bad for work. Nobody wants to go to work with a black eye or cut. Looks bad.

unstpabl1

Re: sparring in KM ???

quote lions2011:

Do they usually start sparring at level 2 ??? I imagine they start out with light contact??

I think light to medium contact sparring is a must to develop in any martial arts.
    Full contact is just bad for work. Nobody wants to go to work with a black eye or cut. Looks bad.

Your a member in LA. You could watch the classes from Intro Fight on up and ask some of the top trainers the progression

tomo

quote lions2011:

“The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!”
    -Tyler Durden (Fight Club)

At AKMF in Atlanta we started sparring in level 2… two minute rounds, maybe 20-30% power, with headgear. In level 3, we do three minute rounds, about medium contact… and headgear is optional (usually), so of course nobody uses it 🙂

Personally I’ve had several black eyes and went to work that way… no problem… they just need to know in advance that you take Krav Maga 🙂

quote lions2011:

lions2011

MEdium contact is good. That way nobody gets too badly beaten up and you learn how to take a punch. Even 20-30 percent light contact is very beneficial.

Full 100 contact is probably best for people who want to fight in the cage or ring.

Did anybody get a broken nose going medium contact in your class??

stickfig13

There are a number of schools who regularly post their “fight class” videos online in various places (Facebook/Twitter). Some of it is quality sparring. Some of it is just plain ugly….Not to mention has the potential for someone to get really injured (No head gear…8oz gloves…)

With that said, I think Krav Maga sparring has it’s benefits, but out of control brawling isn’t helping anybody IMO. In a typical Level 2 class you might have some folks with prior experience sparring, but most are just developing their techniques. You wouldn’t learn how to ride a bike and then 6 months later sign up for the Tour De France….

There is a lot to be said for controlled sparring. Working on one or two techniques and the the defense associated with it (potentially with multiple attackers). I think too often students get used to having big pillows on their hands (Boxing Gloves) and forget the techniques designed to save their life on the street.

No disrespect to those schools who post their “Fight” videos…Just my observation.

nkfr

At “our” training group, basically there’s two types of “sparring”:

1) Most of ’em are what we can call “flow drills”: slow motion sparring with contact.

+: One of the best drills I can imagine. It helps building some great abilities and is very handful in order to get what the retzev is.

-: Such a drill is pointless if you don’t go slow. And since it’s a kinda “sparring”, a lot of people, especially when they’re overcame, try to “win”, when this drill is not about “winning” or “loosing”, it’s about working.
    Same o’, they let their ego speaking, and it’s too bad.

2) Some of ’em are full contact sparring with MMA gloves, with controlled impact.
    MMA gloves are the minimum, and people often wear mouth and shin guards.
    If it’s full contact without any sort of control, we wear helmets.

+: The full contact shows what reality is, something the flow drill doesn’t.
    It also shows which techniques suits you the best and what techniques you perform under pressure.

-: Can be pretty dangerous.

lions2011

I think Full contact sparring is best for professional or Amateur fighters who are going to be fighting the ring or cage.

for us Average joes!!! I think light-medium contact is enough contact. Most of us have to go to work the next day and it does not look good if your face looks like splattered eggs.

good to spar with people you trust who can stay in control. Out of control sparring helps nobody but just ends up with black eyes and broken noses. That is why I only spar with an instructor present.

You can spar in Bas Rudden classes and they usually go 50 percent.

lions2011

I guess once I get my nose broken , I wont be scared of anybody again lol
    Thank god my nose is still straight lol

Still, sparring in control is very vital . In teaches you to remain relaxed in stress and it teaches you to take a shot and react with your own combatives in the right way.

nkfr

quote :

for us Average joes!!! I think light-medium contact is enough contact

Agreed.
    To be truthful, I used “full contact” because of my lack of vocabulary when it comes to “Martial Arts English” ;).
    IMO, the most important is to keep in mind that a “sparring” is a drill and nothing more than a drill.
    Besides, I strongly believe that if you’re not able to react/defend/whatever after a training….it means that it’s not an efficient training.

This being said, you can assume a “heavy contact” sparring while keeping in mind that you have to preserve your sparring partner (since I see sparring as a tool and I know that I can deliver quite efficient blows, I mostly use it in order to work my ground game, throws, etc….).

And a heavy sparring session is always efficient in order to let some people understand a few things about combatives.

kmman

Most MA you see sparring is nothing like the actual techniques in the art. What I always wonder is in KM one of the key things we learn is intensity, going from 0 to 100 immediately. By sparring at 20-30% are we accomplishing much?

I guess there’s a benefit to getting hit and hitting but I find it frustrating to go 20-30% as a smaller person thats a huge disadvantage. The only real advantage I have is speed, deceptive power and intensity. Going 20-30% is tough for me….although I obviously realize we cant go all out unless theres a lot of protective equipment.

tomo

quote KMMAN:

Most MA you see sparring is nothing like the actual techniques in the art. What I always wonder is in KM one of the key things we learn is intensity, going from 0 to 100 immediately. By sparring at 20-30% are we accomplishing much?

I guess there’s a benefit to getting hit and hitting but I find it frustrating to go 20-30% as a smaller person thats a huge disadvantage. The only real advantage I have is speed, deceptive power and intensity. Going 20-30% is tough for me….although I obviously realize we cant go all out unless theres a lot of protective equipment.

I think it’s frustrating for everyone….I’m a bigger guy and I have to constantly be careful about how much force I apply even with takedowns and such. Most of the time I don’t even follow through completely for fear of really drilling the guy into the mat.:dunno:

kmman

So by looking at both our viewpoints it looks like sparring although usefaul is not the end all. A lot of MMA guys will say you only learn by sparring but I really dont think that applies. From their standpoint I totally agree. I’m not saying KM is too “deadly” to spar but without a rule set it greatly diminishes the value of sparring. IMO.

tomo

quote KMMAN:

So by looking at both our viewpoints it looks like sparring although usefaul is not the end all. A lot of MMA guys will say you only learn by sparring but I really dont think that applies. From their standpoint I totally agree. I’m not saying KM is too “deadly” to spar but without a rule set it greatly diminishes the value of sparring. IMO.

Well….Yeah, you’re right from what I’ve seen. I think there’s two things which come into play (mind you I’m a bit of a n00b myself) in MMA you are talking about guys who (for the most part) are training to get into a ring. I really don’t think they take it too easy on each other. Whereas with Krav it’s average guys learning how to defend themselves. The players and goals are a bit different. Krav isn’t a Martial Art…it’s a “fighting system”….alot of the stuff we learn how to do would get you thrown out of a ring. You really don’t see the “Krav Handshake” for example, too much in any competitive martial art contests. :):
    So yeah…I guess the value is diminished (unless you find a partner who is willing to go more hardcore with you) but I still think it has great value to hone reaction times and further perfect technique because you see how you will perform everything under a certain amount of pressure.

tzrider

I’m happy not to hit my partners as hard as I can because I don’t like to break my toys.

Sparring has value to me in putting together attacks at the same time as I have to deal with an attack coming at me. Defenses against fixed scenarios teach technique but they don’t teach adapting to a changing situation the way sparring does.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: