Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

Re: sparring in KM ???

if you want 100 percent sparring then you need to join a boxing or professional MMA Gym.
    Personally being a 35 year old man I don’t need to have my face battered to a pulp so just moderate contact is enough for me :D:

tomo

quote tzrider:

I’m happy not to hit my partners as hard as I can because I don’t like to break my toys.

rofl2

quote :

Sparring has value to me in putting together attacks at the same time as I have to deal with an attack coming at me. Defenses against fixed scenarios teach technique but they don’t teach adapting to a changing situation the way sparring does.

Good point

tomo

quote lions2011:

if you want 100 percent sparring then you need to join a boxing or professional MMA Gym.
    Personally being a 35 year old man I don’t need to have my face battered to a pulp so just moderate contact is enough for me :D:

I don’t suppose it would do much good for us 44 year olds either.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote tzrider:

I’m happy not to hit my partners as hard as I can because I don’t like to break my toys.

LOL I was about to say I like to play with my food before I eat it but you beat me to it.

Nice!

mikejdm

We had a fight class after the regular KM class and this is where sparring happened. It was open to me starting day one because I had some experience sparring in the past. Full gear and about 50% power depending on who you were working with. Never had a black eye but I’m sure that would have happened eventually.

lions2011

My boxing is pretty soilid but i need some additional muay thai trainning which i will start in 10 weeks.
    I decided to train in Muay Thai rather than proceed onto level 2 and 3 right now and jsut stay in level 1. Dont want to learn too much and remember nothing.
    Then I will start sparring more.
    I want to start sparring when my skills are better.

bullseye

I’m telling you right now training without sparring is setting you up to lose if the real thing goes down. Until someone has tried, any of their training with live resistance then one can’t really say they can do it.
    It’s like learning to swim without ever getting wet.

I’ve seen it happen at my dojo against students who have trained for years and are at level 2 and 3. A couple of weeks ago one of my classes did live ground training we’re anything goes (in a safe controlled manner, obviously) and I almost everyone I rolled against had subpar skills. And bear in mind I only rolled against level 3 students who took the schools ground class, in addition to their other classes. Unfortunately the ground class has little sparring as well.

When we strike spar it’s the same problem. A lot of students drill, drill, drill but when the round starts they’re training goes out the window and they make a lot of rookie mistakes. The only ones who do well are the fight class students where all they do is spar for the entire class. Notice a trend there?

Drilling without sparring won’t prepare a student for a real fight. Likewise sparring without drilling and getting proper reps is just as ineffective. Doing that will make someone a brawler without learning the art of striking and when they run into someone who does know it; is just a better brawler and or bigger and stronger they will not fare well in that instant.
    You have to do both to be a complete fighter.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: