Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    clfmak

If you can defend against a proper shoot, you can defend against a low football tackle. It doesn’t necessarily work the other way around.

I’m not sure where the ankle locks and armbars came from, but at the proper moment in time some submissions can work well on the street. There are leglocks off of kicks that leave you standing in a position to ruin the ankle or knee very quickly (and they can be trained relatively safely in a life way). Some are best suited for sportfighting, but other holds can be applied quickly to damage joints without compromising a good position.

giant-killer

I suppose someone could shoot in without putting the knee on the ground. Some guys may be sloppier with it than others, still good to have some kind of defense.

Personally, I would definitely not opt for a shoot against a big guy in a street fight. But we have MMA style fighting classes where we practice those things, so it’s good to know how to do it correctly for that purpose.

psyops

I will respectfully disagree.

The whole idea of teaching submissions as self defense for street attacks really makes no sense to me. I would much rather see students being aggressive and escaping when able to do so.

Too many things have to go right in order for submissions to be effective. The longer the conflict the greater the chance for injury. For more experienced fighters I suppose submissions may seem like a reasonable addition to one’s bag of tricks. Having experienced many street altercations first hand, I will say that nothing beats aggression, combatives, movement, and using some item on the ground for additional protection.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

quote \”Psyops\:

Having experienced many street altercations first hand, I will say that nothing beats aggression, combatives, movement, and using some item on the ground for additional protection.

Not to mention heart with a dash of fear.

ryan

I’ll take willingness.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

[quote:b1276cb36c=\”Ryan\”]I’ll take willingness.[/quote:b1276cb36c]

I’ll see your willingness and raise you with commitment level.

kravmdjeff

Psyops, if submissions are ineffective in the street, then why do law enforcement agencies teach a carotid choke? Or did you mean submissions are ineffective on the street for an average civilian?

Also, while I respect your realistic experience, is it not possible to allow for someone else’s experience to differ? I agree that aggression, combatives, and movement are extremely important, and aggression is absolutely #1 on my list as well. But whoever said we had to choose between aggression and good technique? Aggression alone may save you if you’re facing a gun, but aggression mixed with good techniques will fare even better. The same is true on the ground. For those practitioners that have very limited training time (i.e.-those whose context fits the original creation of Krav Maga), I agree advanced groundwork is most likely not very valuable. But what about those of us who are committed to several hours of training a week for years, and who already understand and consistently practice the value of aggression, combatives, movement, etc.?

Oh, and willingness…and fear…and commitment. None of these are mutually exclusive…it is possible to train in a manner so as to display them all.

psyops

Yes!

Again as I said for more advanced students it is reasonable to assume that groundwork would be of interest to many. The fact is though that the average Kravist does not participate for several hours of training per week. So \”in general\”, I don’t encourage true \”groundfighting\”. Getting up and escaping or continuing with combatives is primarily what I encourage.

My own experience is in no way the only experience by which all self defense is measured. I have worked with many L.E. officers and it goes without saying that I have the utmost respect for them. Many of these fine officers use the Defensive Tactics taught at most training facilities. Joint locks, chokes, and pain compliance are effective. However I believe that Krav Maga is by far the best answer for issues officers will see in the streets.

Most law enforcenment agencies have restricted the use of carotid chokes. The liability is too great. This is another reason why knees and elbows are probably a great alternative.

KravMDjeff,

I appreciate your feedback. It’s nice to talk about something we are all passionate about. You make very good points.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

[quote:092dda829f=\”KravMDjeff\”]
    Oh, and willingness…and fear…and commitment. None of these are mutually exclusive…it is possible to train in a manner so as to display them all.[/quote:092dda829f]

Jeff I was just being sarcastic with Ryan, no harm no foul intended.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: