Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    farhan

Hey guys, I just started KM and joined this form. I have a question regarding the ‘straight punch’ (not the palm strike).

I am confused about whether, while punching, should the fist rotate at a 45 degree angle or stay straight. I have seen videos and read both. I don’t know which one is right? or is it that both are right and used for different situations.

pugnax88

Re: Straight Punch

You can do either, from what I’ve been taught. I usually punch vertically. Punch so you don’t hurt yourself, really.

The key is the structural support behind your punch when you make contact. The power in your punch starts with driving off the insides of your big toes. You drive through with your thighs, hips, torso, and shoulders and finally your arm. It should travel out from your body in as straight of a line as possible to keep the power your body has generated moving toward the target and not off to your side. This is accomplished by keeping your elbow pointed toward the floor as your arm extends as much as possible. Finally, when the punch lands, contact should be made with the first 2 knuckles of the fist. This ensures that the bone structure of your whole body is behind the punch when it lands. The angle of your hand isn’t so important as long as you are making contact with those knuckles.

kevin-mack

just for the record…this vertical punch trend is a KMWW thing and is not traditionally found in Krav Maga

ryan

Just for the record, KMW does teach to rotate to approximately 45 degrees just before impact, but many do not emphasize it initially, preferring to put emphasis on being aggressive and doing what is natural for the puncher. Also, many new students rotate too early or too much, causing the elbows to come up and the back knuckles to land first.

Let your hands and arms hang naturally at your sides. Lift them straight up and forward, stopping at shoulder height, keeping the hands relaxed. Now, make a fist and see the position of your hands/fists.

geary

Whether your hand is vertical, horizontal or anywhere in between, it is important to remember to strike with your pointer and middle finger knuckles more than anything. from what I gathered, this is the reason KM teaches the vertical hand position at first until you really learn how to punch effectively.

farhan

Thanks every one, I appreciate your responses.

Ryan appreciate the input. Makes sense why it isn’t taught early on and how it would be in-effective if not executed properly. By the way picked up your ‘Beginners Guide’. Haven’t read it completely but so far so good. Also, pre-ordered the ‘Elite’ one from Amazon. I don’t know when I will get to that level if ever, but should be a good read!

ryan

Just to be clear, I am not saying it isn’t or shouldn’t be taught, only that some choose to emphasize other elements at early levels.

I hope you enjoy the book.

All the best!

phlegmon27

When the rotation aspect of punching is stressed, I find that quite a few students end up turning their cross into some sort of weird overhand right (a-la Chuck Liddell). I now teach the vertical punch to the newbies so they learn to keep their elbows down, and later incorporate the rotation to add a little something extra to the strike.

Anyone who doubts the vertical punch’s effectiveness can feel free to come to the front of the class and see for himself.

farhan

So I guess for now. I will practice without the twist and once I have it down really good, I can start incorporating it.

kevin-mack

what I have a problem with is someone describing the vertical punch as a “krav maga straight punch” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb0OoV96yZo

Its not. If you want to use it as a training tool thats fine but i think its misleading to say thats how Krav Maga fighters throw their punches or how thats taught in the system.

farhan

I just came across this article. Given its not a Krav site but the dynamics and reasoning explained are pretty good and in my opinion universal.

http://www.jkasv.com/articles/articlesmain_files/archive-21.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: