Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Street Fighter means No Skill

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    vwr32

So jjk, do you think you could take your gf’s brother if you two scrapped in the alley?

Is Kimbo Slice a “true” streetfighter? His style of fighting happens outside the ring with bare fists, but they still have strike rules and no takedowns etc. What about the people he fights? I’m guessing Kimbo trains, and the vast majority of his opponents are as you’re pointing out: self-declared street fighters who have more attitude than skill.

If you haven’t seen his fights, YouTube search for Kimbo and then you’ll probably have to confirm your birthdate because it’s considered violent.

leejam99
    quote jjk:

The only thing that a street fighter has is balls. The balls to fight over and over again, while not learning anything, and probably for no real good reason.

I would say its more like “stupidity” not balls. with all the crazies out there with weapons and what not, why would you want to be in a street fight with a stranger?

anytime someone tells me that they are a “street fighter” and that they love to fight…i take a good look at him because i know soon or a later, i will see him on the news as the latest victim of some type of an attack or he will get his beat down because no matter how good you are or you think you are…chances are that there is always someone better.

jjk
    quote vwr32:

So jjk, do you think you could take your gf’s brother if you two scrapped in the alley?

MMMMmmmmm Probably. I mean if we didn’t know each other, I’m a little bigger, have quite a bit of martial arts experience under my belt and all. But that’s besides the point. Oh I’ll check out Kimbo when I get home. Wasn’t he a bouncer at one time or something?

Leejam, I also agree with you.

Giant Killer. DO you think there are people who get in like… 10 or 12 fights a year?

jjk

Oh, and if you’re bored like I am:

Street Fighting!

kravmdjeff

Re: Street Fighter means No Skill

I think you may be getting caught up in a convenient, but not altogether precise, term that wasn’t exactly intended to carry all the shades of meaning you’re importing into it.

giant-killer

I wouldn’t have any stats on it, but I could imagine that yes, there are some guys who go out looking for it and get into 12 fights a year or more, everything from little scuffles to bigger fist fights. Or the old, “Would you like to step outside?”.

I guess it also depends on the definition of “street fighter”. Personally, if a guy got into maybe three to four fights over the course of his life, I wouldn’t consider him a “street fighter”. In fact, I know there are some guys on this forum, who have stated that they got into some fights when they were younger, but I don’t know if they would consider themselves “street fighters” because of it.

In my view, a person would be a street fighter if he gets into many violent encounters, even seeks them out in an effort to test his skills. But, as I mentioned earlier, I could imagine that such a person would also hone his skills in a different way, by training on his own, with like-minded friends, or possibly in a gym, so his skills would not be developed through street fights alone.

vwr32

quote jjk:

MMMMmmmmm Probably. I mean if we didn’t know each other, I’m a little bigger, have quite a bit of martial arts experience under my belt and all.

There’s not much confidence in that post. You’ve said he’s only had like 4 or 5 fights, and no skill. You’ve had formal training and are bigger than him. Does his own confidence in his ability intimidate you? Maybe in the back of your mind his real life experience creates a doubt in the formal training vs street training argument?

I agree someone with skill can quickly deflate the hot air filling the chest of someone with more attitude than skill… but a lot of people never see that end. They buy into the presentation.

People used to get mad when my wife’s chihuahua would put the larger dogs in their place at the dog park. Dobermans, great danes, newfoundlands, german shepherds, even a pit bull once. If they got too close, he’d light into them. They all ran, every time. It’s like they only saw the attitude and not the size.

The bogus “street fighters” probably do the same. The people I’ve known who have skill or can back up the name street fighter really don’t care and are usually much more down to earth. They don’t have to overcompensate for a lack of skill by trying to create fear in those around them.

unstpabl1

quote KravMDjeff:

I think you may be getting caught up in a convenient, but not altogether precise, term that wasn’t exactly intended to carry all the shades of meaning you’re importing into it.

Nice post Jeff. Seems getting caught up in terms is a big limitation for people.

I’ve known guys that were dig, fast, athletic and just plain mean. This is not an insult but I would rather have 12 prison hardened streetfighters backing me up, than any level 5 students or instructors. Their accustomed to extreme violence and understand the stakes. mean goes along way

I knew a 1%er who beat the crap outta 12 cops and walked out of the bar and drove away. I don’t think he was winded. Just because the guy doesn’t train in a formal martial arts gym, doesn’t mean he doesn’t train. Speed, suprise and violence of action can make up for alot.

Guys who grew up in the streets have always been the guys that boxed or wrestled. Where do you think our greatest boxers came from? not usually the suburbs

Always assume you opponent is stronger, faster, meaner and better trained then you. Then don’t ever give him a chance to prove it

People always act like street thugs don’t train. Big mistake. They train drivebys at Los angeles Crest, thay have to fight to get in. In prison the practice and yes, they even practice shankings

jjk

quote unstpabl1:

People always act like street thugs don’t train. Big mistake. They train drivebys at Los angeles Crest, thay have to fight to get in. In prison the practice and yes, they even practice shankings

Very interesting, this is what I wanted to know. I would consider these guys street fighters. Everyone else? Just hardasses or something.

jjk

quote vwr32:

There’s not much confidence in that post. You’ve said he’s only had like 4 or 5 fights, and no skill. You’ve had formal training and are bigger than him. Does his own confidence in his ability intimidate you? Maybe in the back of your mind his real life experience creates a doubt in the formal training vs street training argument?

No, it’s just that I’m not a boastful jerk. Anybody can get a lucky shot in edgewise in a street fight anyway. Besides, I detest people who are like “YO I CAN TAKE HIM ANYDAY”. I agree with unstpl’s “Always assume you opponent is stronger, faster, meaner and better trained then you. Then don’t ever give him a chance to prove it”. Anyway, it’s all rather off topic.

unstpabl1

quote jjk:

Very interesting, this is what I wanted to know. I would consider these guys street fighters. Everyone else? Just hardasses or something.

How do you tell a player without a scorecard? If you listen to guys talk, even the little nerdy guy is a stone cold killer. And you know what he very well be.Talk is cheap and everyone does it. Most times it comes down to how far your willing to go. Luckily most of us are good people

The problem with using your definition of a streetfighter is that it offers a false sense of security. You have no idea if your attacker knows anything or how far their willing to go. Even if you beat him up today, he may run you over 3x’s with his car tommorrow. Even great fighters lose to lesser opponents. Anything can happen in a fight.

So what do you think? I mean what do you think are the attributes that make up a good fighter? List them?

mike

jjk

quote unstpabl1:

So what do you think? I mean what do you think are the attributes that make up a good fighter? List them?

mike

I could, but I don’t think it’s relevant to the definition of “street fighter”, which is what this thread is about. After reading this thread, I think most people who say they are “street fighters” are people with out any skill, just trying to act tough. While the only true “street fighters” that exist, are those who train in gangs like mentioned above.

vwr32

The line between on topic and off topic seems to be razor thin here….

After reading this thread, I think you’re convinced of the same premise you started with lol. If a non-street fighter who calls himself a street fighter wins against someone with skill, are they then considered a streetfighter? Does victory define the title, or location of the fight and absence of rules?

unstpabl1

quote jjk:

I could, but I don’t think it’s relevant to the definition of “street fighter”, which is what this thread is about. After reading this thread, I think most people who say they are “street fighters” are people with out any skill, just trying to act tough. While the only true “street fighters” that exist, are those who train in gangs like mentioned above.

The same attributes that make up a fighter make up a streetfighter. The list is long but examples are speed,athleticism,will to win, strength,agressiveness,willingness to hit and be hit,tatics,Etc. Not one of these comes down to technique. I’d be more afraid of a ghetto raised NFL middle linebacker than most m/a instructors.

True story. I’ve told here before. My friend Dan and I freshman year of HS were both 4’11” 94lbs, but we were both street kids. Him more than I. One day the state wrestling champ (soph)in the 130lb class came to our lockers with 10 of his buds to kick the shit outta Dan. One of my best friends a 6″2″ sophmore and a streetfighter didn’t like the odds so He decided, me and him would keep the fight fair and Todd could bring 2 of his friends and they’d fight in the bathroom. Great its 10 on 3.

Dan is calm as ice walks into the bathroom. Todd takes off his jacket, rolls up his sleeves to kick butt. Dan says hang on I want to wash my hands. Washes them while asking Todd if he was ready to get the beating of his life. Todd was a shredded muscular fighter. Todd says yes. Dan walks over to the trashcan to throw the paper towel away, picks up the trashcan and beats the living crap out of Todd with it. In the middle of it he knocked out cold one of the guys backing up Todd who was way bigger.

i don’t know if Dan ever trained, but I do know he fought from little on because he was the smallest and easiest to pick on. He was always fighting,with consequences. I remember being on the bus with him and he told me this gang was after him. When we hit his bus stop there were a bunch waiting for him. I said I’d help, but he didn’t want me involved. It wasn’t my fight and would’ve made it worse cause of affiliations. Bus door opened and he jumped into them from the top step swinging. I tried to run to the backdoor to get out and by the time I got there all those guys were running. Cept Dan and the 2 guys who couldn’t

You can never judge a book by its cover. Some guys who call themseves streetfighters are and some are full of crap, but as someone said earlier they usually end up dead or in prison. A good streetfighter only knows survival, not rules or definitions. Sorry for the stories, but in there are strategies and the mentality of the streets.

Nice comment V, Oh crap I agree with V…Time to disappear from the board:)

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

Nice comment V, Oh crap I agree with V…Time to disappear from the board:)

Maybe my methods of persuasion are finally working…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: