Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Students hitting too hard to often?

• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by dckm.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    hemibuck

OK, so I know that I am not the only one here that has this problem. Now don’t get me wrong I enjoy hitting hard and can take a shot, at least the ones I can remember…lol! We are all “training” and most of us have jobs, families, ect. that require us to be in good physical condition….not hurt. We all get our bumps and bruises but some people just seem to be out to try and hurt one another.

So my question is how do you take care of that one person in class that just doesn’t seem to get that %40 is %40 not %80, when sparring? Even when we are practicing breaking chokes and holding pads he is always trying to get that shot in, and hard. My temper is being pushed and he has been talked to numerous times, sometimes I just really want to “go off” on this guy! He is a nice guy but something is just not getting through!!! Any advice before I get both of us hurt? :chair: Thanks!

Re: Students hitting too hard to often?

My suggestion would be to bring it up with an instructor and let him or her deal with it. Chances are you are not the only one who has had this problem with this person. It needs to be corrected before someone does get hurt. There are individuals who truly don’t realize they are going too hard, and then there are individuals who are just bullies, and there are shades in between. An experienced instructor should know how to tell what you are dealing with and how to correct the problem. Constructive criticism coming from the right person is usually enough to take care of this though…

hemibuck

quote fred_jennings:

My suggestion would be to bring it up with an instructor and let him or her deal with it. Chances are you are not the only one who has had this problem with this person. It needs to be corrected before someone does get hurt. There are individuals who truly don’t realize they are going too hard, and then there are individuals who are just bullies, and there are shades in between. An experienced instructor should know how to tell what you are dealing with and how to correct the problem. Constructive criticism coming from the right person is usually enough to take care of this though…

I brought this up to the instructor and he has spoken with him in the past and says he is going to have to sit down with him again. And you are correct I am not the only one that has this problem. Friday night I had to give him a little of his own medicine and he just didn’t get it….he was confused when I said this is how hard you hit. He says he will take it down but the next day he just keeps it up. As a future instructor I just want to find the correct way to deal with individuals like this so I don’t lose any students because of something like this.

Some people just don’t get it and never learn to take anything off their strikes in training situations. These people are tough to deal with. A lot of times the teaching through escalated violence approach backfires horribly. When people feel that they are not doing so well in a situation, they sometimes get scared and actually start going even harder. That starts a cycle that’s hard to get out of. A temporary solution is to match the person up with someone who can physically handle the situation until the offending person learns some control. This is just for the protection of other students. If the person is still not getting it they may need to be removed from the general classes in favor of some specialized private instruction that focuses on solid techniques with good control. The increased confidence in the techniques should go a long way in getting the person to not be so spastic in training. You have to protect the well being of your other students above all else. If you have to hurt this guy’s feelings and/or possibly lose him as a student to protect everyone else then that’s what you have to do… but most of the time the situation can be resolved way before it reaches that point…

hemibuck

Thanks great advice!

farhan

quote Hemibuck:

OK, so I know that I am not the only one here that has this problem. Now don’t get me wrong I enjoy hitting hard and can take a shot, at least the ones I can remember…lol! We are all “training” and most of us have jobs, families, ect. that require us to be in good physical condition….not hurt. We all get our bumps and bruises but some people just seem to be out to try and hurt one another.

So my question is how do you take care of that one person in class that just doesn’t seem to get that %40 is %40 not %80, when sparring? Even when we are practicing breaking chokes and holding pads he is always trying to get that shot in, and hard. My temper is being pushed and he has been talked to numerous times, sometimes I just really want to “go off” on this guy! He is a nice guy but something is just not getting through!!! Any advice before I get both of us hurt? :chair: Thanks!

I know of some one like that and I know exactly what you mean. Even when we are told to practice slow, he ignores it.

magamike

Is he a big guy? I know the guys that outweigh me (most of them, as I’m only 145) rock me really hard even when I think they aren’t really trying to hit that hard. 40% to a 230 pound guy is like my 80% probably. If they are turning their body correctly, they just automatically have more power when they strike. But that’s still no excuse if you are telling him to trim it back and he just refuses. But when the adrenaline kicks in, maybe he just automatically pushes it back up without realizing it. Then again, maybe he’s just an a-hole.

The real problem with a guy like that, though, is that they are a fuse for a timebomb they are going to set off in someone else. He may finally set you off and you turn it into a real fight and go full contact and hurt him, then you’d probably be the one who got in trouble while he acted all victimized.

hemibuck

quote MagaMike:

Is he a big guy? I know the guys that outweigh me (most of them, as I’m only 145) rock me really hard even when I think they aren’t really trying to hit that hard. 40% to a 230 pound guy is like my 80% probably. If they are turning their body correctly, they just automatically have more power when they strike. But that’s still no excuse if you are telling him to trim it back and he just refuses. But when the adrenaline kicks in, maybe he just automatically pushes it back up without realizing it. Then again, maybe he’s just an a-hole.

The real problem with a guy like that, though, is that they are a fuse for a timebomb they are going to set off in someone else. He may finally set you off and you turn it into a real fight and go full contact and hurt him, then you’d probably be the one who got in trouble while he acted all victimized.

He not real big…I would say he is around 170lbs and about 5’10”. I watch his form and really he could hit harder if he rotated properly…lol! And yes a time bomb is correct. A fight has happened with him already, the instructor had to break them up…I wasn’t there that week. I hit him pretty hard Friday to show him what it felt like and gave him a good push, he was really worried I was pissed at him. I told him that I felt his aggression would translate well on the street but in here he needs to take it back a notch. The instructor says he just gets excited but I know I am gonna lose it with him, I actually try to avoid sparring with him for that very reason.

bradm

I’ve encountered guys like that before. One guy just always had to go full power and very aggressively all the time. Once we were working on some ground techniques – I was on my hands and knees and he was suppose to try and roll me over on my back and get into a mount position. I was suppose to not let him do it. He had a difficult time of rolling me over, I don’t know if it was anger or frustration, but he suddenly grabbed me by my shoulders and threw me backwards. My feet were under my butt when I was thrown back and they got jammed there. As I went over backwards – everyone in the room heard the “POP”. That was my ankle – breaking. That put me out of training for a few months.

farhan

quote BradM:

I’ve encountered guys like that before. One guy just always had to go full power and very aggressively all the time. Once we were working on some ground techniques – I was on my hands and knees and he was suppose to try and roll me over on my back and get into a mount position. I was suppose to not let him do it. He had a difficult time of rolling me over, I don’t know if it was anger or frustration, but he suddenly grabbed me by my shoulders and threw me backwards. My feet were under my butt when I was thrown back and they got jammed there. As I went over backwards – everyone in the room heard the “POP”. That was my ankle – breaking. That put me out of training for a few months.

That is the exactly what I am worried about with this guy.

dirty-harry

Same thing happened to me when I used to train MMA and JuJitsu. Couldn’t train for a while because the tendons in my ankles got torn. That person who did that to you probably got frustrated, forgot the technique he had been instructed to perform, panicked and lashed out to show he wasn’t weak and unable to get you off. Pride can make you do stupid things.

The best thing you and your instructor can do is educate everyone in the sesions about how to train safely. This includes not taking someone straight back when they are on their knees.

I like to be punched hard by partners and I like to punch them hard too, but only because me and the people of my club have an understanding. Of course, there are times when striking hard in training is not needed. Communication with your instructor and group is essential. This guy might be very eager to excel at the training, that he is losing self control in the process. He may or may not realise this.

jrodf4

I understand what you are saying for example I am a bigger guy and can not really work with a smaller person unless asked to do so. I usually stick with people more or less my size. I have a couple of partners that I keep in touch with in class and we make sure we both go to the same classes to avoid these types of issues (we usually like to work out hard).

BUT I agree 100% pay attention to your partner and let them set the pace. If the pace is to high find a new partner or say something to avoid conflict or injury.

Only spar with people that know how to spar – a sparring session should be a learning experience not a survival experience. :box2:

farhan

Hary,

I agree with you, that you can be aggressive when its a mutual understanding.

dirty-harry

quote Hemibuck:

The instructor says he just gets excited but I know I am gonna lose it with him, I actually try to avoid sparring with him for that very reason.

Don’t avoid sparring with him. Do it as much as possible. I don’t want to sound like an a hole, but you have to set aside any fear or reservations and get on with it. The two of you can perhaps get to an understanding with each other. You have an opportunity to educate him. You may even pick up a few tips from him.

Whatever you do, don’t lose it with him. You don’t know how others, including your instructor, will percieve you after that.

Or…maybe he’s hopeless. In which case, your instructor needs to do something about it if it is affecting you and others in your group.

Good luck.

hemibuck

quote Dirty_Harry:

Don’t avoid sparring with him. Do it as much as possible. I don’t want to sound like an a hole, but you have to set aside any fear or reservations and get on with it. The two of you can perhaps get to an understanding with each other. You have an opportunity to educate him. You may even pick up a few tips from him.

Whatever you do, don’t lose it with him. You don’t know how others, including your instructor, will percieve you after that.

Or…maybe he’s hopeless. In which case, your instructor needs to do something about it if it is affecting you and others in your group.

Good luck.

I don’t avoid sparring with him altogether I just make sure I keep my testosterone in check with him…lol! Your right I might be able to learn something from him, but he does piss off others in the class. Well this Friday we will have to see :box2:

Ya know I just thought of something……he usually only partners up with his wife and she is pregnent. He can’t hit her hard so maybe he is making up for that with us? Hmmmm….never thought about that. Either way this is a learning experience for me and how to deal with this when I have my school. Thanks for all the input!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: