Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Students hitting too hard to often?

• This topic has 27 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by dckm.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    oneness

Re: Students hitting too hard to often?

This is always a problem and some people will never get it. They are under the impression that they have to go 100% all the time or they dont get a good workout, etc.

Start out sparring light with them and let them know you are going light. If they hit you hard, you need to hit them back hard (personally I’d pay’em back as hard as you can if you knock them out or break something then they will learn) You have to let them know that is not the level you want to go. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs. Even then, not everyone will get it.

Sparring is suppossed to work on timing, footwork, combinations, blocking, seeing patterns of combinations, etc. You shouldnt really worry about getting knocked out, a broken nose, or jaw. Most people think you have to go crazy and its like a real fight. If its a real fight, there shouldnt be pads and they shouldnt be going toe-toe with anyone. We are doing Krav Maga not MMA.

hemibuck

quote Oneness:

This is always a problem and some people will never get it. They are under the impression that they have to go 100% all the time or they dont get a good workout, etc.

Start out sparring light with them and let them know you are going light. If they hit you hard, you need to hit them back hard (personally I’d pay’em back as hard as you can if you knock them out or break something then they will learn) You have to let them know that is not the level you want to go. Sometimes you have to break a few eggs. Even then, not everyone will get it.

Sparring is suppossed to work on timing, footwork, combinations, blocking, seeing patterns of combinations, etc. You shouldnt really worry about getting knocked out, a broken nose, or jaw. Most people think you have to go crazy and its like a real fight. If its a real fight, there shouldnt be pads and they shouldnt be going toe-toe with anyone. We are doing Krav Maga not MMA.

Very good points, thanks Oneness. This Friday I will start off easy and see how he does if he gives me a hard shot I am gonna give him a warning but then I will try and break the egg…lol!

la-revancha

quote Dirty_Harry:

Don’t avoid sparring with him. Do it as much as possible….Whatever you do, don’t lose it with him…Or…maybe he’s hopeless. In which case, your instructor needs to do something about it if it is affecting you and others in your group.

Good luck.

I disagree to an extent. This archetype, among others, exists everywhere. Seen it at different schools on both coasts, in krav, in judo, MT, and jits.

It is within etiquette to decline training with any person that exhibits lack of control, recklessness, uncoordination, or is malodorous. I recently had a student in one of my fight classes ask me never to partner him up with student for one of these reasons.

To simply tough it out, especially if there is a history, sometimes leads to disaster.

johnl-d11

We had a guy that seemed like he just liked to hurt people in our fight class… After a few talks with him, he still was too rough.

So we put him with one of our instructors the following week, he got the hell beat out of him and never came back. Problem solved.

And the whole telling people to go 50% works if they are the same size and understand what 50% is… A few weeks ago, I was against a guy that deadlifts 700+ lbs so his 50% is my 200%!!! hahahah

jl

I agree with putting the guy with the instructor. He will be able to learn whilst getting the whooppin’ he seems to want to give to others. The instructor will be better suited to tone down this behavior or prompt an exit by the offender.

To my way of thinking it is somewhat disrespectful to the instructor to ignor the given instructions on percentages for sparring. My students know the rules. If you go harder or lose control while sparring needlessly and with malice, your new sparring partner is me. If the idea is still not getting across, when they wake up, they usually head for the door. Control of the dojo is paramount to a good session for all students. JL

magamike

What do people think about repeated shots to the head, even at 40% or less power? (40% is huge to the head if you ask me). I heard something on NPR the other day about boxers and long term brain injury. As I understood it, this researcher was saying that you don’t have to be knocked out or have concussions to have long term brain impairment from getting your cranium rattled. It’s a cumulative effect of smaller injuries. Even if you can take hard shots to the head – should you?

phlegmon27

If I have a student (or students) who want to ignore my direction to go 40%, I “foul” the entire class with pushups, situps, and/or burpees. I don’t have any more problems.

jburtonpdx

quote phlegmon27:

If I have a student (or students) who want to ignore my direction to go 40%, I “foul” the entire class with pushups, situps, and/or burpees. I don’t have any more problems.

hmm, I like this…. “TO HARD – BURPEES GO TILL I STOP YOU”

bull1189

Hemibuck is taking classes at my school, and the student in question is not the “Aggressive archtype” person, rather he is very inexperienced with this sort of thing and doesn’t understand 1) his own strength and 2) how that strength is multiplied when he goes fast. He isn’t a mean person, nor is he naturally inclined to be overly-agressive. He belongs in fight class given his training level, and he is just starting out there – maybe a little over a month now.

That said, he is having a lot of difficulty understanding how to be aggressive, but not overdo it when training. I have, in fact, had to pull him aside on numerous occassions and tell him to dial it back in regular Krav Maga class because he gets a little wild. Every time he is surprised when I speak with him. He keeps things in check for a little bit, but then gets excited goes back up the dial. Think more along the lines of a bookish guy who learned that he can do these things when he thought he could never do it, but he needs to learn to control that still.

As I told Hemibuck, I’ll take care of it, but he is the sort of student that requires a lot of vigilance from instructors. “Tough guy” students are a lot easier, in my experience, to deal with than this type.

On the other hand, while he does hit a little harder than I’d like for basic fighting, there are a lot of folks out there who hit a LOT harder – and he isn’t one of them. While I understand Hemibuck’s frustration, just remember there are much worse people to train with and in some respects it is good bump noses with this type every once in a while.

Oneness, your points are well taken. As a matter of fact, it is interesting in this individual’s case because his brother-in-law fancy’s himself as an MMA fighter and eggs this student on when he goes there for a visit. There is some of that going on in his psyche as well I think.

And again, Hemibuck, I’ll take care of it at this week’s class. You keep handling exactly how you have been. See you tomorrow.
    Mike

oneness

Here is one of my drills, I use specifically to combat this type of training and to instill control. Have them pick and A and B between them. Let A’s only throw left straight and B only kick. They will learn to be more evasive and by being limited they will focus on that technique. When they start getting more aggressive have them switch. You can switch them several times within a 3 -5 min round.

If you dont want kicks then the B can only punch right straight to the body. they will learn control and the need for good training partners.

I have lots of other drills we use to build people when they start sparring but again not everyone get it.

michaelmall

Oneness can have Bas spar with him.

phlegmon27

I just got home from fight class and realized what an awesome group we have at our school. Everyone there tonight has been with us for a while (and most have been “fouled” a time or two), and it was a great class! Everyone had fun, and nobody got hurt. Good times.

dckm

quote phlegmon27:

I just got home from fight class and realized what an awesome group we have at our school. Everyone there tonight has been with us for a while (and most have been “fouled” a time or two), and it was a great class! Everyone had fun, and nobody got hurt. Good times.

i like that about our school. however, on an unrelated note, i find that i learn more when i train with people more skilled in class. i’m starting to pick my partners based on those who go as hard as i do and take it as seriously as i do. or those students on level 2. the drills are smoother and i learn more.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: