Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Suggestions for helping a knee problem?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    maskedkat

Hi all,
    Last week I did something to my knee. I’m not sure what, but we were doing a lot of lunges, squat jumps, etc. so there’s no real mystery. Anyhow, there was never a sudden pain or anything… but after class it just felt \”odd.\” By the time I got home I couldn’t stand on it. My husband put some dit da jow on it, and there’s been no swelling or pain unless I put pressure on the ball of my foot. I haven’t been wearing heels all week, but I’m still getting that \”unstable\” feeling with lateral moves or lunging.

Anyone have any exercises or stretches or any other advice to help? I want to get back to training but don’t want to risk really screwing up the knee.

Thanks!!

bradm

I recommend the first thing you do is see a doctor.

emil

I agree, please don’t get knee treatment advice from a self defense forum, or any forum for that matter. See a doc.

maskedkat

Thanks, guys. I was sort of afraid that’s what you’d say… it’s just one of those \”it’s not THAT bad\” things but then again, it isn’t getting better as fast as I’d like. Damn.

chris

You could have pulled some ligaments. You want to be careful with that, so yeah, see a doctor. He might have an MRI done to be on the safe side.

jl

Mkat
    See a Doctor….just not Dr. Kevorkian! 😮 LOL

maskedkat

OK…. if it’s not 100% by Monday, I’ll go see the doc. And definitely not Kevorkian… yet. Unless she says I can’t do Krav anymore.

kravjeff

Agree w/seeing a doc ASAP – In the meantime for most injuries, remember the acronym \”RICE\”

Rest (the injured joint / area)
    Ice (avoid direct contact with skin, should be done approx 30 minutes at a time)
    Compression (ACE type bandage or \”store bought\” brace)
    Elevation (should be kept above the level of the heart) …

Also be careful with everything – If it’s unstable, you don’t even want to step wrong, twist it, anything that may further aggravate your injury …

Good luck – Hope you’re able to get back to training soon!

KJ

straykat

Go see an orthopedist. He/she can examine you and pretty much tell if it is a torn ligament. Naturally an MRI will reveal the extent of the damage. Unfortunatley if it is an ACL and you choose surgery, say goodbye to KM for a while.

kpalena

Yea, I agree with everyone. Go see a doctor if the pain does not go away. There is a small chance that is is just some localized swelling, basically a sprain. But there is a chance that something more serious is going on. I thought I sprained my knee a while back, and have spent the last 10 years in pain because I did not get it taken care of. Now I have a serious problem and multiple MRI’s and surgery in my near future.

maskedkat

Thanks again. Kpalena, that’s a pretty scary thought…I hope your surgery is successful! honestly, I don’t think mine is that bad and I’m walking fine, no pain, no swelling. It was that \”giving out\” that was troubling.

I laid off for a week, and was ready to go back last night but since there are so many parents with trick-or-treaters in my class, they cancelled. So by the time I go back tomorrow, the knee will have had almost 2 weeks rest.

bradm

\”So by the time I go back tomorrow, the knee will have had almost 2 weeks rest.\”

Still, take it easy for a while. Work your knee in slowly to be sure it is okay.

maskedkat

I definitely will go slow… thanks!

kpalena

What I did, and I think might help with the \”giving out\” is to strengthen the muscles around the knee. It kept me stable for years.

maskedkat

Yes, that is the most important preventive thing to do. I used to teach step aerobics, and when I began supplementing the aerobic stuff with strength training (quads especially) the knee problems diminished. Still, if you hyperflex (which I’m pretty sure I did during some lunges) those tendons and ligaments can get hurt.

WHen are you having your surgery?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: