Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Syllabus Differences between organisations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I was trawling through the KM note book thread and saw a comment regarding diferences in syllabus between you guys and the KM note book syllabus.

I am an IKMF instructor and this set me thinking is your syllabus very different to ours (apart from names etc). It was curisoty as I hear talk of belts and levels and it is sometimes hard to work out how that compares with us.

We have 5 practioner grades (1-5) which are followed by 5 graduate grades (1-5) which are followed by (I think) 5 Expert level grades. Instructors are usually G2 up and at the time of writing there are 2 Expert levels in the UK.

whatever

sommerset,

Hi…Two experts? I though only one, who is the new one? Thanks…:)

Hi

No new expert levels I am aware of. Same 2 as for ages. Marcus and John.

Cheers

Paul

taikei

I went with IKMF based grading system first, up to P2, then to orange belt with KMAA base. Roughly 2 steps of IKMF rank equivalent to 1 belt.
    E1 being black so brown to be G5, Blue G3, Green G1 etc…

anonymous

Hmmm, Marcus and John, sounds like two guys from the NTC. Could they be double agents? 8)

I’ve only been with the KMAA and they have belts from yellow to black and then different degrees for black belts. Darren (the highest ranking) is a 6th degree BB and we’ve got some 4th degrees. I’m assuming the KMAA adopted the ranking system from the IKMA, but I’m not sure. What system does the IKMA use?

The level system sounds a bit confusing at first. I’m not sure what woud correspond to what. By the way, do the guys at the IKMA or IKMF still wear their belts? And will the new guys in Europe adopt our grade system?

Hi

Belts. No never worn one. The IKMF doent have any belt, just levels.

I know the KMAA has partnered up with a European group but I dont know anything about them or belts etc.

I am not sure E1 would correlate with Black Belt 1st Dan. I actually dont know.

Student gradings occur every 6 months. P1 can be tested after only 3 months though.

Logically it would make sense. However the E levels I have seen are at a much higher level than I would expect at fisrt Dan in martial arts here in the UK.

If you did not do instructor training and passed everything first time in theory its possible to get to E1 in 5 years.

The E levels are very rare 2 in the UK I think Poland and Sweden have less than 5 ( I am not sure its a guess)

Out of curisoty how do you guys grade?

anonymous

Really, no belts? Has that always been that way? Didn’t they have some years ago at least? I’m wondering, because I think Darren got his 6th degree BB from the IKMF originally.

Generally, I think belts may be better than a grading system, because ordinary people will have a better idea of what they signify.

Hi GK

Yes I think you are right about belts. I believe that the IKMA use belts and I believe Imi did.

I am sorry to be so vague, frankly I dont know exactly when the IKMF stopped using them. I seem to remember some one saying that Eyal did not want Belts when the IKMF started.

Technically I understand what you guys (KMAA) do is very simmilar. I was just interested in how you organised it in terms of syllabus. What would be interesting would be to compare the approaches of the IKMF and KMAA in 20-30 years. Presumably they would evolve and differ according to the population they serve.

Obviously us IKMF instructors would remain more handsome than our KMAA counterparts 😆

anonymous

More handsome? Ha! One word: Amir.

http://www.amirperets.com/military_gallery.html

Now, if that isn’t the most handsome sailor ever and he is ours!! 😀

I find it interesting to compare syllabus as well. We have an instruction booklet, that explains what one needs to know for the different levels. I’m not sure if there is any way you could get it over there or if the same thing is listed on a website.

There is also a new KMAA book coming out in November, I haven’t seen it, but maybe it’ll list the curriculum. You could get it over Amazon.

Does the IKMF has a list of its curriculum or description of classes/techniques?

clfmak

Why don’t you just go and marry Amir? 8)

😀 Hi

Not sure my wife would let me !

By the looks of him, not sure I’d fancy him feeling amarous either!

I have seen the book on Amazon and pre ordered it.

I have to be honest the KMAA do seem to do a great job with their production, DVDs etc. I am sure the book will be of a simmilar standard.

Do you guys do much in the way of groundfighting?

We do a range of reversals, and escapes back to the feet I have complimented my krav with grappling training via MMA and some BJJ. I noticed Jeff at Brand X does something simmilar. I also find its useful in sessions to have ground survival and grappling sessions for variety.

I do clearly differentiate though. Otherwise if we are not carefull we loose the original system and end up with another MMA.

I have also tried a number of other Israeli systems and tried their techniques out. Apart from varyong degrees of ‘krav bashing\” I have not found anything better yet. Complimentry yes but better no.

Ah thats not strictly true. I think the Wagner knife stuff is easier to retain and apply.

anonymous

Hey, maybe marrying Amir wouldn’t be a bad idea, you know what it would mean, free private classes for life!!! 😀 Although, possibly, also free liver kicks for life… 🙁

somerset,

What is a typical IKMF class like? How long is it and what are you working on ususally? Also, how many levels do you have? We have 5. How much do you work on practicing KM exercises during a typical class and how much on hitting pads/kicking etc? Do you have separate fight classes and cardio classes?

We do a lot more ground fighting than we used to, but still not too much in regular class. I train at the NTC, where they have 3 rooms and sometimes 3 classes at the same time. We have BJJ ground fighting classes, cardio classes, different level fight classes, which are mostly stand up, but the higher level ones are a mix between stand up and ground, so more like MMA.

In the regular classes, we sometimes work on a few simple ground exercises, but nothing too complicated, you would have to go to the fighting classes or the BJJ class to learn more and do some sparring.

kravjeff

Speaking of Amir, has anyone seen his DVD’s for \”The System?\” GK – You must have them 😉

From the clip on his website, looks well done, and like straightforward Krav techniques (plus Bas is in them!) … Is this the same \”hybrid\” system that he and Bas \”developed\” that I’ve seen discussed on other threads?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: