Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Taking Level 1 test – finally!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

Oh no, a guy about an inch or two taller and a couple of pounds heavier how scary that must be… 🙁 😉

cav

Re:

quote \”CJs Dad\:

Cav’s like 6’5 300ish… imma scaaared

LOL, seeing the way you move so fluidly in the maneuvers, I’d be patting for mercy.

I think when you saw me in the lot, Joe and I were talking about different techniques that avoided being airborn to do. Actually I’ll start a thread in the KM techniques forum to see what you and everybody else says about it.

cav

Re:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Giantkiller

You know, I’ve been wondering about your handle, how deep is this aggression you’re harboring and at what size you consider a person a giant:?:

Should I be avoiding you… 😉

– CAV, friendly to all sizes of humans

katoe

Good luck. I’m not that close but hoping to be there by end of this year. Heard it’s pretty tough from the people that I train with that took the test. Obviously you’re ready if your instructors invited you to test.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”CJs Dad\:

Donít forget to hydrate, bring a few bars too.

Sean

And a bartender 😳 Sorry

I never paid much attention to hydration till very recently. Like this week. I’ve been having alot of trouble with gout last few months. turns out Dehydration is one of the many triggers for gout. So I’ve learned a few things that may help. I am not a doctor, so you need to chech the info out for your self.

Coffee and sodas dehydrate, The rule of thumb is 1/2 oz per pound of h2o. A 200llb guy need 100oz a day, under normal conditions. Itense w/o’ require more.With an intense 4 hour test coming up your hydration needs to get in line before not during. Make sure your getting enough water a few days before

My understand in light of recent deaths from over hydration a couple things to note. The one on the radio show, they weren’t going to the rest room either. Also, its caused by the elimination of electolyte, so using Gatorade should help

Hope this helps. Good Luck MaskedKat

vwr32

At the risk of looking knowledgable….

Caffeine does not cause dehydration. We’ve covered this in another thread, but would hate to see anyone give up their favorite cup of Joe because they have a run or exercise coming up.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Hydration is extremely important. But it should begin the day before, not right before class/test. I can’t think of a more uncomfortable feeling than trying to exercise with too much fluids in my stomach. During runs, i drink as I get thirsty… but the night before is when I do forced hydration.

If there’s one thing I make sure I have on long runs (excluding fluids) it’s something along the lines of what Cj’s Dad said: bring a few bars (I’m assuming energy or protein bars?). Your body will crave them for energy during extended trials. I like something known as \”Goo\” usually associated with the running circle and found at athletic stores or GNC at the checkout. It’s just like cake icing, so that part is kinda nasty, but it has plenty of carbs and some contain caffeine in the 2x and 4x varieties (shown in some studies to improve endurance and does not dehydrate). There are also ones without caffeine.

So for me, the night before is water water water… the day of the run/test/exercise has to have some carbs before and then maybe during if possible. Unstpable1 was right about the electrolytes too. Very important. For me, *Low Sodium* V8 is the best source for potassium (electrolytes) I’ve found. Around 800-1200mg per serving depending on the container. I stressed the low sodium part because u don’t want the regular v8 salt content lol. Wow. During the work week I drink a 46oz bottle a day. And water too. 😀

hollywood

Re:

quote \”Aggie Kravist\:

I did Krav back around 4 years ago. I would have tested back then but I was only on free lessons because my brother is a Bexar County Sheriff and they gave him around 2 months of free lessons for a family member. Plus I’ve been going to Krav at least 4 times a week since I started back up. All the instructors think that I’m ready to take the test, but they did tell me to bring 3 extra t-shirts cause I’m \”definitely going to need them\”. WHY ELSE WOULD I BE NERVOUS!?!?! 🙂

LOL 😀 good luck to both of you!!!

unstpabl1

Hey V
    As I stated I’m not a Doc nor a nutrition expert. a quick google will find as many pages saying coffee/soda does not dehydrate and just as many that says they act as a diuretic thus causing dehydration, and how much we need to drink. My research came mostly from Weston Price, Mercola and John Beradi as well as other sources.

Like most things on the net, with so much conflicting opinions, You end up using yourself as a test case. Being that we all metabolise things differently, results may very. Which is why I purposely stated \”you must check the info out for yourself\”, so people who read my thoughts will do their own research and come to their own conclusions

I know the h2o amount I gave is probably high as it was recommended to me to keep uric acid crystals from forming as well. Normal is 8 glasses a day

For me I know the need for hydration and the effects of soda on \”me\”. I caddy on weekends. 2 golf bags, 4-5 hours, usually in the heat of the day. When I just drink soda thru the round, I always get headaches, don’t have to pee and when I do, the pee is very dark. Also my foot hurts as the gout starts to trigger. To combat this thru trial and error, I now drink 3 bottles of h2o and 1 or 2 12oz Gatorades without fail and have had great results. Also when I drink soda , I’m still thirsty.

Bottom line for me is what you said start hydrating before the event and continue after. I know I don’t drink enough water. I have to force myself to drink it, grew up on soda. I may try the v8 thing, though I started supplimenting potassium. Gout trigger 😥

bradm

I very seldom drink sodas. Maybe a Pepsi once a week. I do hydrate a lot before and during vigorous workouts. I personally prefer Propel over Gatorade.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”BradM\:

I very seldom drink sodas. Maybe a Pepsi once a week. I do hydrate a lot before and during vigorous workouts. I personally prefer Propel over Gatorade.

There is a difference between the bottled Gatorade and the powdered gatorade. The bottles use high fructose corn syrup and the powder is still suppose to use dextrose(I think). Its suppose to be healthier as far as sugars go, according to the guys at Rosstraining. Problem is I’m having problems finding the powdered

Brad, Hi my name is mike and I’m a sodaholic 😀

giant-killer

Re:

quote \”cav\:

quote \”Giant Killer\:

Giantkiller

You know, I’ve been wondering about your handle, how deep is this aggression you’re harboring and at what size you consider a person a giant:?:

Should I be avoiding you… 😉

– CAV, friendly to all sizes of humans

The aggression is bottled up deep down inside, ready to explode at any minute…. 😈

At what point do I consider someone a giant? Well, lemme see, I’d say about 5’3”, 120 pounds. 😆 That being, ’cause I’m only 5’1”, 104 pounds myself… Me against you, three times my size, now we are talking David vs Goliath – and we all know who won that one! 😈

You could always check wal-mart. I was there yesterday buying a gallon of gatorade for tomorrow and they were loaded with the powdered stuff.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Aggie Kravist\:

You could always check wal-mart. I was there yesterday buying a gallon of gatorade for tomorrow and they were loaded with the powdered stuff.

Thanks. I even went do 2 different grocery stores after I posted and looked. I’ll try Wal mart or Costco

vwr32

Re:

quote \”BradM\:

i don’t care much for gatorade either, but haven’t looked at the powdered stuff.

Agreed unstpable1, there are sources for both. It wasn’t an attack on what you were saying, just highlighting sources that say avoiding caffeine because of hydration may not help at all. I know absolutely nothing about gout, but if it’s potassium you’re after low sodium v8 is packed with it.

I was trying to eat multiple servings of veggies throughout the day, but it’s kinda expensive and labor intensive. Time is tight enough without that headache. So I looked at v8… was surprised to see the potassium content. I’m on week 3 of this dietary experiment. Haven’t grown any extra limbs yet, still alive, and I can’t judge hydration by pee color… too many supplements lol.

Gonna cut back on some of the potassium tho. Just read about hyperkalemia. Seems 2,000 – 3,000 mg per day is target range but there’s no RDA established for it… and a lot comes from food normally. Right now I’m about 5,000 mg on the whole bottle of v8 juice alone lol. This is the part where I end up using myself as a test case rofl. Don’t follow me, i’m dangerous. 😆
    http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/h/hyperkalemia.htm

What’s the topic? Oh yeah… good luck on the test! 😀

dkatman

Good Luck to both of you.

I know I am late to this party(My level 1 was last month).

The extra shirts are great! Try to hold out as long as you can before changing shirts the first time. Once the sweating starts, it’s on.

I personally wouldn’t have thought of eating ANYTHING in the middle. But I am sensitive to having anything in my stomach and training at all. I have a lot of water…and I was dying for more.

It is fun! Yes it is hard work. But it was fun. I have been very gung ho and excited about classes. Getting to train for that long, although tiring, was a blast. I guess more advice can be given for an epsom salt bath the next day. Schedule a massage or something.

Having trained four times a week should make you conditioned nicely.

Good Luck to both of you!

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: