Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Taking Level 1 test – finally!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    giant-killer

Icing can help lessen or even prevent muscle soreness. Works well for me, especially for those inner thighs that won’t let you move when they get really sore.

bullshido310

Heavy Icing? Deep tissue massages? contrasting showers? excessive carbo loading?
    I hate to inform you but 99% of people who take krav maga regard it as a hobby…. If you train accordingly, tests are just a formality where if you’ve prepared adequately by maintaining your conditioning on the same level as your knowledge of the material, your body will not be so shocked that you’ll start walking like a geriatric….Aside from age, if you are under 50, 3 days rest is more than a sufficient rest period, if you have not sustained nor aggravated any injuries.
    If you are that sore ( aside from bumps and bruises and sparring on the intermediate/advanced tests), maybe you should have trained a little harder in your cardiovascular, muscle memory and conditioning, incorporated the techniques you have learned within your sparring and improve your overrallmental tenacity.. just my two cents for any future tests….
    Ask yourself this, how beneficial can my training be if I lack;
    1) The Cardio and the necessary conditioning to train accordingly?
    2.) Actual Fight Experience in the use of the acquired knowledge?
    3.) the mental tenancity to repetitvely use the techniques learned in a crisp effective manner to the point where it is instinctual?

jburtonpdx

\”I hate to inform you but 99% of people who take krav maga regard it as a hobby\”

Got a source for this statistic?

smokelaw1

61% of all statistics are meaningless.

What does it matter is 99% of all people regard it as a hobby? I do. It is a hobby. It is a hobby that also passes on valuable skills that could save my life. It is a hobby that for me to get the maximum enjoyment out of,I train hard, and work on my conditioning, so that I can advance to even more fun levels of the hobby.

jburtonpdx

\”61% of all statistics are meaningless. \”

source?

kidding – I thought it was 87% of all statistics are made up at the time they are claimed.

I guess it just cracks me up that some folks feel this urge to talk crap about others.

I’m preparing for my level 4 test and still remember my level 1 test. I think it was the toughest of the 4 I have taken already (yes that is correct 4, I recently took a level 1 test again as part of instructor certification, and still consider the level 1 test the most difficult).

My experience with the level 1 test is that regardless of preparation, the instructor is going to push you beyond your level of training. At that point you are truly being tested, do you continue or give up?

The injuries are legit and the rest is well deserved. I thought it was great at the NTC when before we started the test, they had us turn to our partner and apologize before the test began….

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Bullshido310\:

I hate to inform you but 99% of people who take krav maga regard it as a hobby

I had the toughest time deciding between stamp collecting and Krav Maga when it comes to self-defense. I’m already doing photography and feel pretty confident that will come in handy as a backup to my earlier experiences in coin collecting should the SHTF. But I hate to brag. 😀

johnl-d11

Re:

quote \”jburtonpdx\:

I’m preparing for my level 4 test and still remember my level 1 test. I think it was the toughest of the 4 I have taken already (yes that is correct 4, I recently took a level 1 test again as part of instructor certification, and still consider the level 1 test the most difficult).

My experience with the level 1 test is that regardless of preparation, the instructor is going to push you beyond your level of training. At that point you are truly being tested, do you continue or give up?

The injuries are legit and the rest is well deserved. I thought it was great at the NTC when before we started the test, they had us turn to our partner and apologize before the test began….

I thought our last test was the worst.. lord that sucked.

jburtonpdx

\”I thought our last test was the worst.. lord that sucked.\”

True – but we had an idea of the kind of hell we were in for. Level 1 test, its the first time for that kind of thing. Its unexpected and you just dont know when its going to end….

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re:

[quote=\”Bullshido310\”]
    99% of people who take krav maga regard it as a hobby….

**SNIP**

Iím not so sure about the statistic number but I do agree with the overall assessment that most people ìprobablyî train as a hobby. Then theres others that believe itís a way of life and how to conduct themselves.

And maybe even a few people that need it for personal/private reasons.

Whatís its not is a sport.

For whatever reason you are here, as with most things in life you will get out of Krav Maga what you put in.

unstpabl1

HHmmm, I’m gonna tell the NFL players that if they trained harder they wouldn’t be sore after games and nedd things like ice, contrast showers,advil, etc. Once I tell them I can tell every other athlete as well. SSShhheeesshh, the internet 🙄

bullshido310

Unstapabl1, I have read your posts and often times I find them to be informative and have found myself to agree with them.
    However, As a former collegiate and competitive athlete, I can attest that training works you but this training received in KM although challenging and valuable in alife saving situation… is NOTHING like the training I went through in terms of the physical wear and tear on the body…Have you even the biggest baddest individual you have ever laid eyes on cry his eyeballs out or pass out from the stress on their body? Ive never seen it in krav and I am working on my blue belt.

I think my post was misinterepreted, if one is an ATHLETE, the body is conditioned and the psyche is wired to endure and sustain basically multiple forms of punishment, perhaps the average person off the street ( that’s the beauty of the KM system \”transfer of knowledge\”), the extended rest and other methods to heal I suppose would be necessary if nto accustomed to the stress that one subjects oneself to under testing circumstances.

Without being being disrespectful of anyone’s pre – conceived notions, The whole \”way of life\” notion is entitely unfounded. Consult the appropriate history regarding the commissioned creation of the system by IMI upon the formation of the state of Israel.
    This system is based upon survival in hostile environments. although we may dress up in our paramilitary- like uniforms in air conditioned rooms in the upscale neighborhoods of Sherman Oaks and West LA, we are not under constant attack, we are thousands of miles away from Gaza or Beirut and unless you have been over there or served in the military where survival is not certain.. it is a hobby, so come off it, if it is truly a way of life, then you would take it one step further and join the IDF or even the U.S Army… both are actively recruiting…. any takers?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

With all due respect I think you may have read a little much into what I said. My ìway of lifeî comment was in reference to staying fit and training hard and really wasnít meant as any kind of spiritual Israeli Zen reference.

I just meant the guys that are there everyday training hard, nothing more.

Good luck with your level 4 test, some fun stuff in blue belt.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Bullshido310\:

Unstapabl1, I have read your posts and often times I find them to be informative and have found myself to agree with them.
    However, As a former collegiate and competitive athlete, I can attest that training works you but this training received in KM although challenging and valuable in alife saving situation… is NOTHING like the training I went through in terms of the physical wear and tear on the body…Have you even the biggest baddest individual you have ever laid eyes on cry his eyeballs out or pass out from the stress on their body? Ive never seen it in krav and I am working on my blue belt.

?

I think the difference is the age and amount of time toward weekly training for the average krav student. I understood where you were coming from on the hobby statement. I’m sure most take krav on tuesday and thursday night like bowling or whatever. When they hit a 5 hour test its more stress than their used to by far. There bodies are use to going 1 hour or 2 hours at most at a time. Doubling it for the average enthusiast is a huge stressor for them. Maybe not for an athlete, but for the 9-5er

I’m simply talking about things to quicken and aid in recovery. For me I tend to hit the peak of soreness on the 3rd day after an event. I caddy on weekends,2bags. I do the same event every weekend and I’m very sore after, this is my 6th year. sometimes I have to go 36 holes double the norm. My 49 y/o body screams at me for the next week.

When I was younger I never thought about recovery. recovery was going to the bar after training, hooking up, going to work and training again 😆 I’m paying for it nowNow. I gotta do daily Myo fascile release and Ice therapy has really helped me recover

I understand the training harder mentalty, but from my understanding, the whle point of level tests is to push you outta your confort zone, get people not to quit on themselves and push thru pain and weakness. being an ex College level athlete is Elite, most of the people your working out with will never have that base and then can only devote so much time to their training

Welcome to the board by the way 😀

mike

vwr32

Re:

quote \”Bullshido310\:

This system is based upon survival in hostile environments. although we may dress up in our paramilitary- like uniforms in air conditioned rooms in the upscale neighborhoods of Sherman Oaks and West LA, we are not under constant attack, we are thousands of miles away from Gaza or Beirut and unless you have been over there or served in the military where survival is not certain.. it is a hobby, so come off it, if it is truly a way of life, then you would take it one step further and join the IDF or even the U.S Army… both are actively recruiting…. any takers?

Way of life is viewed different from different folks.

Military: They go looking for the hazards.

Civilian: The hazards come looking for them.

Being prepared in either scenario depends on training. I’ll bet anyone in the civilian sector would love to be armed to the teeth with military weapons, have at least a squad sized element watching their back, and a helicopter gunship waiting just a radio call away when trouble presents itself.

And I’d be willing to bet the soldier would love to only have to worry about a mugger waiting in the shadows as he walked to his car carrying groceries.

The threats are different, but goal is the same: survival. Granted, nobody is facing the dangers the military faces. I know what it’s like to man a checkpoint in a middleastern country, and what it’s like to wonder if the homeless guy approaching you with his hands in his pockets wants a handout or is about to pull a weapon out of desperation. Are we under constant attack? The answer to that lies in answering the question: Does the criminal element in America rest? Opportunity dictates the attacks in both Gaza and Sherman Oaks.

maskedkat

Bullshido,
    If you are so supremely fit and conditioned that you don’t need to ice, get a massage, etc. that’s fine. Don’t do ’em.

I am 42, have a sedentary job, and train 3 days a week. I am not an elite athlete nor do aspire to become one. You want to call it a hobby? Fine, no skin off my nose.

Not really sure what your whole point was, but you’re entitled to it, as we all are here.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: