Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    paul

a recent story in Charlotte suggested that criminals are using tasers in thier trade. Is KM adding or have added this threat to the curriculum.

Re: tasers

quote paul:

a recent story in Charlotte suggested that criminals are using tasers in thier trade. Is KM adding or have added this threat to the curriculum.

Add it as in how? I’ve only seen one person fight through after being hit with a properly functioning taser. With a properly functioning Taser, dodging the darts would be akin to dodging a bullet. If they make a tactical mistake and stand close to you while threatening (like a handgun) then gun defenses will work. If they are utilizing it in drive-stun (like the old “stun gun”) then knife defenses will work.

don

Can you post a link to the story? I’d be VERY surprised if criminals are using Tasers – alternative weapons, including firearms, are much cheaper…

paul

upon thinking about this, the tazer would have to be stolen as when fired they drop hundreds of identifying markers. unless you carry a hand vac with you.

in criminal use they would seem to be effective tho. non lethal in most cases, if it is a kidnapping or rape situation, you have disabled your victim for a period of time to transport to a 2nd location.

i do not have a link to the story but will try to find it.

don

Taser only “disables” while sparking (although that can be a total disable). As soon as the juice is turned off, you’re up and running/fighting/whatever again.

kirsten

Jeremy’s response was on the money.
    The media uses Taser and stun guns as interchangeble terms and often screw it all up. Likely it is a cheap stun gun, you know the one’s they use in the movies to “knock people out” when they get shocked in the groin. LOL.

brentw

I will second Jeremy. You have to treat it as a gun at distance and a knife when the cartridge is spent. Even the police issue taser is not a panacea. I was able to fight through it and pull the dart out and I know it was properly functioning. It is a great tool but just that – a tool. Lots of things can go wrong, people can fight through amazing things and nothing is ever 100%. Well, except taxes.

paul

quote Don:

Taser only “disables” while sparking (although that can be a total disable). As soon as the juice is turned off, you’re up and running/fighting/whatever again.

i have seen the videos of people being Tazed, i didnt realize that you could recover that quickly

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote paul:

i have seen the videos of people being Tazed, i didnt realize that you could recover that quickly

youve never trained with Brent LOL

don

Taser test on a bull. Ideal response from the bull while being Tased – see what happens (and how quickly) when the juice is turned off…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgbzBvwGNc

stevetuna

The taser made me compliant. I experienced five seconds of extreme pain coupled with lucid thought – a strange trip, that lightning ride!

It’s a great tool, one of the best available, but it’s not foolproof. I’ve seen an article here and there where an officer’s taser has been taken from him or her and used on the officer. I don’t recall seeing anything about the bad guy bringing one to the fight yet. As Don said, guns are cheaper and easier to get.

brentw

This is more of an LE discussion but yeah, recovery for most is almost instantaneous. I’ve seen people pop right back up swinging and not know (and flat out refuse) they went down. People can function during the ride, albeit severely hindered. Others drop to the floor and don’t get up for a while. It’s like kicking people in the groin – you never know what you’re going to get. Be prepared for it not to work and be damn happy when it does.

This is the guy I met –
    http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/fight-science/all/Videos/03296_09#tab-Videos/03296_09

kirsten

As a Taser Intl. instructor since 2003, I have never seen anyone fight through a good shot. I have seen them fight through a small spread from the front and the back, but never a full spread from the back. In the field I have used it never had a problem, however my last guy I got in the buttcheek and his calf, locked him up mid stride. My coworker did get a guy from the front with a small abdominal spread and he was a fat guy that fought through it. It happens. I feel fresh and ready to go after a lightning ride! Its a fantastic tool, provided its just another tool in the box.

quote Don:

Taser test on a bull. Ideal response from the bull while being Tased – see what happens (and how quickly) when the juice is turned off…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgbzBvwGNc

Wow – its incredible how fast the bull bounces back to his feet & is able to launch a counterattack being PO’d as heck…

Amazing – luckily no one is likely to encounter a misbehaving former SEAL who has absurdly high amounts of willpower under duress…
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he trained that ‘taser defence’ quite a bit. People do the darndest things..

quote Kirsten:

I feel fresh and ready to go after a lightning ride!

Lol!

don

on the other end of the spectrum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOJ9_CApGfg

:):

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: