Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    stevetuna

Re: tasers

“If you were to get jammed up by the po-lice, take that ass-whuppin’, man, don’t mess with that taser!” One of my favorites!

Brent – I watched that Nat Geo segment when it was first on. I told my wife that there was no bleeping way that guy was going to do that. Yeah, I washed dishes for three weeks…

kmcat

An interesting new piece of technology from the Tazer company:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT2EX07lQy8

It is a self contained tazer device delivered via a “shotgun shell package” that works in a standard issue shotgun. Thus making a shotgun a non-lethal weapon.

paul

classic lol

take dat ass whoopin

kirsten

If you love that, just wait til you see the military claymore type device… intense. They are developing some amazing devices. But what they do as a company for officers killed in the line of duty is even more remarkable. They donate millions to the families of killed officers, the families just need to apply for it. Gotta love a company that gives back!

quote Kirsten:

I feel fresh and ready to go after a lightning ride!

This quote was still causing a few chuckles throughout the day – hilarious,

As if it were like a tonic (!)..

The shotgun Taser is crazy – what’ll they think of next.
    Heat sensitive cluster rounds for multiple targets..?
    Great there is increased range & (I assume) accuracy…
    Maybe cheaper for depts too if the Taser rounds can be used in standard issue shotguns.
    I wonder what the blunt trauma factor is getting hit by the projectile..

brentw

I had a taser instructor do it and I had a good spread across the front and was able to articulate both arms and grab both probes. With focus, it is possible. Never tried to get them from the back. I just leave it as a warning. If I can do it without training then it is a credible thing to worry about.

There are also counter measures. There was a homeless guy in Orange County who had built a crazy suit of chicken wire, rolled-up magazines, and traffic cones. Multiple taser hits with no effect.

All that being said – it will be the less-lethal response I trust the most.

unstpabl1

quote Kirsten:

Jeremy’s response was on the money.
    The media uses Taser and stun guns as interchangeble terms and often screw it all up. Likely it is a cheap stun gun, you know the one’s they use in the movies to “knock people out” when they get shocked in the groin. LOL.

I think the stun gun is probably more along the lines of the OP’s story. Their reletively cheap and easier to get than a gun or taser

i’ll see if I can find it later, but there is a vid of a drunk being tazed by a trooper. He’s beligerent as hell after being juiced…takes him about 5x’s to become Pavlovs dog…pretty funny…as only a drunk can be

Why do you go on the ride? I’m pretty trusting…If it looks like it hurts, I’ll take your word for it:dunno:

Basically, what I’m getting is that you guys feel the structure of your Krav techs will hold up against the weapon (taser/Stungun) if approached as a projectile or contact weapon accordingly? I’m pointing it out because it is the crux of the question…how to solve the problem of….and so much of krav seems to be based on how you solve the basics is how you deal with the complex

Happy 4th
    mike

quote BrentW:

There are also counter measures. There was a homeless guy in Orange County who had built a crazy suit of chicken wire, rolled-up magazines, and traffic cones. Multiple taser hits with no effect.

Sounds like the Ned Kelly of tasers

unstpabl1

Drunk resists..oops

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jycsQe1F-sE

This vid brought a question to mind..seeing there are so many Force trainers participating…and I ain’t pissed anyone off in a year…might as well take the risk now….Why Krav for police work? so much of what you do seems to me to be in the grapple range..ground and standup….why a system that seems strike heavy…or is that heavily addressed in Force

kirsten

quote unstpabl1:

Why Krav for police work? so much of what you do seems to me to be in the grapple range..ground and standup….why a system that seems strike heavy…or is that heavily addressed in Force

This is a great question!!!

The reason Krav Maga is so well suited for American LE is many. First, because it is a principle based system thus making the application of Krav Maga to situations in which you have never directly trained for much more simpler.

Secondly, the actual techniques are easy to remember because they are based on natural instincts and they build one on another. These are simple movements and the defenses can be used in a variety of situations and they work under stress. I have seen this time and time again from officers I have trained, and heard stories about other officers who have used it effectively in the field after minimal training.

Next you have issues like Use of Force taken into account in the training, escalation, de-escalation, scanning, assessing, appropriate use of force, and verbal skills. The training drills are designed to help to transition between all of these effectively.

Its has a strong legal backing given the people like Darren Levine, Howard Mallen, Jon Pascal, Brent Ambrose, and MANY others that are also deserving of credit but I donít have time to type outÖ Meaning you get in the shiznit and use it, you can count on KMW for back-up if needed.

The training is designed for LE and takes into account the many types of LEOísÖ from large to small, fit to not-so-fit, and young and younger. It works for everyone and can be taught in very little time. This is especially important as LEOís get about 8 hours average of pure, hand to hand defensive tactics training annually. There is less comp issues with on-the-job training because of the warm-ups (thanks Jon) and the stretching. This keeps the bean counters happy.

So to civilians Krav Maga Worldwide may seem to just be a ìheavy strikingî system, its not about just that. Its about so much more for LEOís. Itís a comprehensive system designed specifically for American Law Enforcement that the civilian system grew out of (and many people do not know this).

As for the grappling range, we bring to each encounter a slew of weapons. It is our primary focus to maintain control of our weapons for obvious reasons. If we stay at a ìhands onî range for too long we risk losing a weapon and having it used against us. Krav Maga Worldwide takes this into account and drills officers on making defenses and simultaneous counters if possible, eliminating threats, create safe separation and escalating/de-escalating if necessary.

We have ground curriculum in the event a fight goes there, with the primary focus being to get back to our feet. No other system I know of drills officers on personal weapons, blunt objects, edged weapons, improvised weapons, firearms, ground, and many more in a short amount of time and can get those officers up to a high level quickly.

This is why we use Krav Maga Worldwideís defensive tactics trainingñ and I say KMW specifically, not just Krav Maga in general because they are not all the same…

Hope that helps.

kirsten

quote unstpabl1:

Why do you go on the ride? I’m pretty trusting…If it looks like it hurts, I’ll take your word for it:dunno:

I forgot to answer this one, sorry. I do it every time I re-certify just for giggles now. I like to watch the guys scream and flop around, then I go… and don’t utter a single word or drop to my stomach. So the 5 seconds and nasty prong marks are totally worth it! 🙂

But, I initially did it because it is important you experience the OC spray and the Taser if you are going to carry them. You can articulate your use of force better if somebody tries to grab your weapon. You can testify first hand how dehabilitating that weapon can be and how your own body will respond to it being used on you. Not to mention, God forbid it actually happen- you will be better able to recover knowing what to expect, and hopefully get back into the fight.

paul

well i finally found the story and as many of you suspected it was a stun gun most likely. I was shocked and surprised that the reporter put forth information that wasnt accurate or verified and then sensationalized an isolated incident to get ratings. What has journalism come too!

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) – Police are searching for a man who allegedly shocked a store clerk with a stun gun this weekend in east Charlotte before stealing her purse.
    Kristen Hoover showed us the bruise on her stomach left by the device. Hoover claims a man used a taser on her twice outside the Circle K gas station located at 7200 The Plaza. Police, however, have not confirmed it was actually a taser.
    “It was pretty scary, I just wasn’t expecting it, I turned around and he was in my face,” said Hoover.
    She had just finished working on the car wash and was walking back to the gas station when the suspect approached her from behind. She said she felt a shock to her stomach and before she knew what hit her, the man took off.
    “It was just enough to shock me and make me throw my hands up because I was still disoriented,” she said.
    Even though she was somewhat disoriented, she managed to chase the suspect because he stole her purse. He quickly escaped, however, and made it to a getaway car at the apartment complex next to the gas station.

“I went to the exit to try to get the license plate, but there was a break in traffic and he was able to go,” she said.
    Hoover says what’s most alarming is the time of day in which the crime occurred. The incident happened during broad daylight on Saturday afternoon. She says she’s nervous about going back to work, but will be more cautious in the future.
    “Look over your shoulder, that’s the best advice I can give, always be aware of what’s going on behind you, because it could happen to anybody at a anytime,” said Hoover.
    The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department described the suspect as a black male who is 5′ 10″ tall and weighs 220 pounds. At the time of the incident, he was wearing dark blue jeans, a white t-shirt, white “do rag” and dark blue baseball cap. The suspect fled the scene in gold Honda Accord driven by a black female. If you know anything about this crime, call police.

#wnSocialToolsSection, #wnSocialToolsSection td, #wnSocialToolsSection textarea, div#js-kit-body-element td, div.js-SettingsWindow td { font: 12px Verdana,Arial; color: #000000; } #wnJsKitCommentingAll { background: #FFFFFF url(); } div.js-singleComment, #wnJsKitCommentingLimited { border-color: #CCCCCC; } div.js-kit-comments { font: 12px Verdana,Arial; color: #000000; background: #FFFFFF url(); } div.js-comment-stripe-1 { font: 11px Verdana,Arial; color: #000000; background: #FFFFFF url(); } div.js-comment-stripe-1 div.js-singleCommentINFO { font: 11px Verdana,Arial; color: #666666; border-left-color: #666666; } div.js-comment-stripe-2 { font: 11px Verdana,Arial; color: #000000; background: #F4F8FB url(); } div.js-comment-stripe-2 div.js-singleCommentINFO { font: 11px Verdana,Arial; color: #666666; border-left-color: #666666; } #wnJsKitCommentingLimited .terms { font: 9px Verdana,Arial; color: #666666; } Comments

don

quote paul:

I was shocked and surprised that the reporter put forth information that wasnt accurate or verified and then sensationalized an isolated incident to get ratings. What has journalism come too!

Were you being humorous/sarcastic or serious above? IMO, “Good” journalism went into hibernation a LONG time ago… Decent reporting pops up occasionally here and there but, for the most part, I take the news with a shaker of Morton’s…

unstpabl1

Thanks Kirsten for that response

Look how much trouble that cop had trying to take that little drunk guy to the ground. I’m sure his ROE hindered him as striking on camera is’nt a good thing…if your not going to let your officers strike or even choke..well you understand…..all you can do is attempt to restrain..which leads to the question on wouldn’t a cop be better off trining in greco Roman, judo,wrestling, jujitsu both Nippon and brazilian as it seems more job applicable

Is grappling more a factor in the Force training? I’ve heard the retention stuff is great. The krav program has to be really good, as so many depts have adopted it. But looking as a perspective student, who might want to be a cop, its a valid question to explore…no?:):

I’m not aware of any ROE that prohibit strikes. My agency teaches them and encourages their proper use in affecting the arrest or overcoming resistance. Having been involved in numerous uses of force and having many of them scrutinized in court, I would tell you that closing with a fully functioning idiot is folly. The time to close with the suspect is after they have been compromised via less lethal or solid strikes. Rolling around on the ground with body armor and a Sam Browne is idiotic.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: