Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Techniques that don’t rely as much on being airborne

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cav

This is going to be difficult to explain, but let me give it a try. When I say airborne in this context, I simply mean having both feet off the ground. Being a big guy, I’m trying to think of how to extend less energy for similar benefit.

The first is simply starting to get in a position appropriate for kneeing with full power. If you’re power leg is in the front, and the manuver is to get it in back, then the standard method seems to be to hop up and switch your feet. One of the instructors talked about pushing the opponent forward and stepping forward with your weak leg enough so your power leg is behind you.

The second one I learned from my Self-Defense instructor who is practiced in Krav Maga. It’s a modification to the technique of being choked from behind. Instead of letting go of his left hand from your left hand after the groin/elbow attacks and doing a 180 degree turn, it’s to duck under the arm maintain the hold and step behind them such that your holding them in a compliance hold and hitting their elbow to severely hyper extend it (setting up for a kick to the face when they go down to ease up on the elbow).

Do a lot of the maneuvers have an equivalent way out of being \”airborne?\”

kravjeff

I’m not sure I fully understand the context of airborne, especially in your second example… Here’s my initial thought – I never want to have both feet off the ground – I’m not a big guy and my power has to come from my feet being planted. Anything you may call \”hop\” I’ve learned to call \”shuffle\” or something similar. Point being – I try to keep my feet on the ground.

As to your specific example of choke from behind – It sounds like a great option, and one perhaps better suited for law enforcement for compliance (without the elbow injury and shin to the face 😉 ) … I may have to try that one … 8)

giant-killer

We used to show the compliance hold as an alternative as I recall, but it may not be done anymore. In most cases, just turning and hitting might make more sense.

By \”airborne\” I envisioned jumping spinning heel kicks or something (something to look forward to! 😉 ), but those examples don’t really seem to fit.

The switch is done quickly, with the feet close to the ground, almost more like a slide. This shouldn’t be a problem if you keep practicing. At first, everything feels strange and might take a while to get used to. Of course, you could simply take a step if you feel more comfortable, but that would take longer and be less powerful. Although, as a big guy, you may have plenty of power anyway. 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: