Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Through A Rapist’s Eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    t-j

April is sexual assault awareness month. Here is some information about sexual assaults you may find interesting. Feel free to pass this on to your friends and family.

–TJ

Through a Rapist’s Eyes(No Joke)

This is important information for females of ALL ages.

A group of rapists and date rapists in prison were interviewed on what they look for in a potential victim and here are some interesting facts:

1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle. They aremost likely to go after a woman witha ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle that can easily be grabbed. They are also likely to go aftera woman with long hair Women with short hair are not common targets.

2) The second thingmen look for is clothing. They will look forwomen who’s clothing is easy to remove quickly . Many of them carry scissors around specifically to cut clothing.

3) They alsolook forwomen on their cell phone, searching through their purse, ordoing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and can be easily overpowered.

4) Men are most likely to attack & rape in the early morning, between 5:00a.m. and 8:30a.m.

5)The number one place women are abducted from/attacked is grocery store parking lots. Number two: is office parking lots/garages. Number three: ispublic restrooms.

6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don’t have to worry about getting caught.

7) Only 2% said they carried weapons because rape carries a 3-5 year sentence but rape with a weapon is 15-20 years.

8) If youput up any kind of a fight at all,they get discouraged because it only takes a minute or two for them to realize thatgoing after you isn’t worth it because it will be time-consuming.

9) These men said theywould not pick on women who have umbrellas, or other similar objects that can be used from a distance,in their hands.

Keys are not a deterrent because you have to get really close to the attacker to use them as a weapon. So, the idea is to convince these guys you’re not worth it.

10) Several defense mechanisms he taught us are: If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell,look them in the face and ask them a question , like “what time is it,” or make general small talk: ‘I can’t believe it is so cold out here,’ ‘we’re in for a bad winter.’ Now you’ve seen their face and could identify them in a line-up; you lose appeal as a target.

11)If someone is coming toward you,hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP or STAY BACK! Most of the rapists this man talked to said they’d leave a woman alone if she yelled or showed that she would not be afraid to fight back. Again, they are looking for an EASY target.

12) If youcarry pepper spray (this instructor was a huge advocate of it and carries it with him wherever he goes), yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAYholding it out will be a deterrent.

13)If someone grabs you, you can’t beat them with strength but you can by[SIZE=1][COLOR=black][COLOR=black]outsmarting them. If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker i.e. under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY VERY HARD. One woman in a class this guy ! taught told him she used the underarm pinch on a guy who was trying to date rape her and was so upset she broke through the skin and tore out muscle strands – the guy needed stitches. Try pinching yourself in those places as hard as you can stand it – it hurts. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]

14) After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN. I know from a particularly unfortunate experience that if you slap a guy’s parts it is extremely painful. ! You might think that you’ll anger the guy and make him want to hurt you more, but the thing these rapists told our instructor is that they want a woman who will not cause a lot of trouble. Start causing trouble and he’s out of there.

15) When the guy puts his hands up to you, grab his first two fingers and bend them back as far as possible with as much pressure pushing down on them as possible. The instructor did it to me without using much pressure, and I ended up on my knees and both knuckles cracked audibly.

16) Of course the things we always hear still apply. Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior,don’t dismiss it, go with your instincts!!!

You may feel a little silly at the time, but you’d feel much worse if the guy really was trouble.

1. Tip from KRAV MAGA: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!

2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans . If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM. Toss it away from you….chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won’t see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.

4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc, and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc.) DON’T DO THIS! The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE.

a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF, repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.

5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage:

A. Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat.

B. If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.

C. Look at the car parked on the driver’s side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)

6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs.
    (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)

7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control,ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!

8. Women are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well-educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked ‘for help’ into his vehicle or with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Through A Rapist’s Eyes

Great info TJ

Give this man some reputaion points people!

unstpabl1

i’ve seen that a few times. Maybe that should be stickied

Years ago I did the play Extremities. The rapist. In my personal research I discovered how easy it was to get personal info. At 1 am, dressed in totally grubby in dirty bdu’s I got womens addresses and phone numbers in lines at grocery stores cashing checks. Now its easier because if you google your home phone, you’ll get a map to your door.

Like anything its probably about situational awareness. Not paranoia, but being aware of who’s around.

Always thought women should focus on grapple escapes, standing and ground, because that was a more likely scenario. That they would be pulled or pushed before they would be involved with stand up punch kick defenses. Wondering what instructors think.

Also wondering if women once they become involved with a rbsd system like krav think more about carrying a weapon.

Also thinkingof how to handle possible scenarios in home, car, work place. Not to obssese about it but to have a general plan. Did they think of these things before being exposed to krav or worse?\

I’m rambling but I’m hoping this becomes an important stickied thread here. A few years back I’d put a link to a great resource on womens self defense, but there was little interest. Hopefully TJ’s got the ball rolling. then the krav girls can tell their friends and they’ll be more krav girlls

blindfold

I know during different self defense seminars, we would tell people, women most often, to place there personal information in a different place than there cash and credit cards. You would be amazed at how many people carry there address and social in with there cash and credit cards. So what may have started out as a simple theft, could potentially be a home invasion or worse.

We would tell people to carry their keys in hand when heading to the car. Don’t fumble around looking for them. Also placed between fingers can make a great offensive tool. A punch to the face or neck area can change alot with a puncture to go along with it.

My daughters are 14 and 15 years old and all of these little tidbits I print out for there reading. They are very aware of things that happen and are very offensive about their own protection. They always walk with someone and always carry keys and pencils in their hands, if something seems uncomfortable.

People need to be aware of things like this and it’s great to see people post them. Thanks T.J.

mara-jade

Great info TJ – I SECOND THE STICKY NOMINATION:D:

I knew a few of these but that’s the first I’ve read hair length is a factor. It does make sense – that’s where level 3 hair grabs would workthumbsup

skibum

TJ – thanks, that’s great info. I have to say that almost word-for-word it is repeated in “Dead or Alive” book by Thompson, link to free e-version of it Gitano posted on 3/10 in “Gift of Fear” thread. You can download all chapters and either save on your HD or print it out. I am about 1/3 way through this book – I think it is invaluable.

k8hokie

Great info! Thanks alot! I passed it on to my female friends and family. You can never be too careful and it’s always great to be reminded of that.

ryan
    unstpabl1

Hey Ryan. Even though it may not have past snopes, so much is good info. It might be better to look at whats useful.

I mean going somewhere with the guy is bad. He needs to seperate her from the herd s…things like that

This thread is from a discussion on the TPI forum. Its a really good RBSD board. Small tight group.Most teach. The main guy is Southnarc from shivworks. Very well thought of in the community and is what the user name states.

Its worth reading and not long. The OP was looking for info on whether to fight back

http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5084&highlight=rape+prevention

t-j

This was originally emailed to me by a Jail Booking Officer at work. Some of the info is good, some isn’t good. I just thought it was an interesting read since sexual assault awareness month is coming up. I am by no means trying to accept credit for this info. If it is indeed fabricated, I still think that some of the info is worth reading.

ryan

Guys, I’m not discounting it all, but when portions are garbage, you have to look at the whole thing with a more careful eye. Virtually none of the stats can be substantiated. Over the past 5 years I bet I’ve seen this e-mail, in one incarnation or another, at least a dozen times (though this is the first I’ve seen with Krav Maga listed, instead of TKD.)

Also, there sure are a lot of absolutes listed, and that’s a pretty rare thing when it comes to self protection.

alician

It’d be nice to know which sections are “good” & which are bad.
    I know to be aware of my surroundings. That’s just common sense. But, how to deal with predators once in a situation seems like it’d be different in different cases. Ya know?

ryan

Here’s the thing, be leary of terms like “never”, “always”, “do not”, “don’t do”, etc. The context of the situation will dictate your response, and violent encounters are tense, uncertain, and rapidly changing. Cookie cutter responses or templates are dangerous. I also tend to be concerned when someone gives stats with no sources.

This is not to say that all of the info is bogus, but I wouldn’t just take it at face value.

If you have specific questions about some of the text, I’m sure there are plenty of people here willing and able to answer.

All the best,
    Ryan

ryan

Okay, so someone left me this message:

“Posting the snopes links just sucks! It’s good information for all women.”

I’d like to know what you are basing your opinion on here. What information do you have to support the post? If we’re being honest, I think it sucks that everyone just takes the info at face value (this has nothing to do with TJ, whose intentions were obviously good.)

A few random tidbits:

“If someone is coming toward you,hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP or STAY BACK!” You CANNOT be serious with this. This is RAD from 1975.

“yell I HAVE PEPPER SPRAY” See above.

“If you are grabbed around the waist from behind, pinch the attacker i.e. under the arm (between the elbow and armpit) OR in the upper inner thigh VERY VERY HARD.” Do I really need to say anything here?

“After the initial hit, always GO for the GROIN.” What initial hit? What if the groin isn’t accessible?

“Tip from KRAV MAGA: The elbow is the strongest point on your body.” Really? I’ve been teaching KM for many years, and I’ve never heard this. Again, the situation will dictate (besides, an elbow to the groin seems tough.)

“If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control,ALWAYS RUN!” What if there’s no exit? What if I’m overweight? What if I have a bad leg? What if I’m on ice?

I won’t touch the stats, but there’s nothing to support them. Look, I never said the information was all bad, but I’m also not going to just ignore things that I know to be dangerous or fallacious, because I don’t want hurt someone’s feelings or I’m worried about getting some bad “rep points.”

unstpabl1

Hey Ryanthumbsup

I started to post earlier then said to myself….I said self that should be an instructors thing:D: See this could’ve IMO ended up a sticky for rape prevention/self defense, but with solid krav input. Womens self defense issues. Snoping out the article is a good thing. Going thru the list and using what is useful, discarding the rest an even better thing. Peopkle discussing it awesome

I’m not calling you out buddy. I’m actually intrigued that more women didn’t post. And more than suprised not one female instructor made a comment. It’s interesting because as I said a while back I posted a link to a discussion on this with some hardcore RBSD guys and nobody joined in or commented on it. Also in my original ramble I offered up questions to start discussion….nothing. I’m so misunderstoodrofl2

On the self defense techs those questions I assume would be answered in krav training.

The thing is Ryan I agree with how you handled this thread. Why put the effort in if no ones interested:dunno:

hope your doing great. Say hi to Mike G for me

mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: