Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Through A Rapist’s Eyes

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Re: Through A Rapist’s Eyes

quote unstpabl1:

6 year old girl fended off an attack in LA yesterday. Stabbed the attacker in the face with a pen

That is good news and I am glad the girl will be alright.

The eyes and the groin strike are under-rated, as well the edge of the hand blow aka karate chop.

I am sure the inmates will give the bad one eyed guy pure hell and rightfully so.

unstpabl1

quote unstpabl1:

6 year old girl fended off an attack in LA yesterday. Stabbed the attacker in the face with a pen

**** sorry about that. I had just woke up. 16 y/o girl. High school student. He’s still at large

unstpabl1

quote Ryan:

My secret admirer is back:

“Sometimes it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it. Just posting the links to snopes makes you look like a smarmy asshole. If you would have added this post to the links, it would not have come off like an attack.”

People choose to be offended or feel attacked. I don’t always have time to post essays, but I did want to get some info out since the info posted was at best untrue and at worse potentially dangerous. I’m not going to apologize for that…I’ve always posted my opinions, out here in the open, using my name, and I’ll continue to do so when I feel it’s warranted.

All the best!

Isn’t that what the forum is for making friends. Maybe we should have Our Welcoming commitee form a special welcoming section for swarmy assholes who suck. I know I would’ve made that list quite a few times and I don’t even do krav.

Welcome to my club. As an aside I’m glad your making new friends. Hope your seminar is going great

mike

mara-jade

I’ve had people email me stuff and I use snopes to check it out before I pass it on. I admit, this one got me since I only skimmed through it and caught a few things that looked good.

So Ryan posted the snopes link – big whoop. I mean big whoop in that someone’s upset over it. Isn’t it better that it was found out so we all could learn something? I thought that’s why we’re all here for in the first place, isn’t it?

TJ – Don’t feel bad – your intentions were good and that’s what counts. It’s just a matter of live and learn, you know?thumbsup

vwr32

quote unstpabl1:

Maybe we should have Our Welcoming commitee form a special welcoming section for swarmy assholes who suck. I know I would’ve made that list quite a few times and I don’t even do krav.

You were the first person I thought of when the notion of having a smarmy asshole forum title. It’s like seeing the oscar go to the wrong person. :(:

Hope you’re not taking it too bad… there’ll be other opportunities. rofl2

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

You were the first person I thought of when the notion of having a smarmy asshole forum title. It’s like seeing the oscar go to the wrong person. :(:

Hope you’re not taking it too bad… there’ll be other opportunities. rofl2

I’m bumming That Ryan guy is stealing my thunder.

giant-killer

quote blindfold:

Also, I hadn’t really noticed the Rep points until I saw that bar under Ryan’s name. You must really be able to give some good advice. thumbsup
    If that’s the case them GK must be the Black Sheep of the family. rofl2

I think most people here are going to post with the best of intentions and if not it will be pointed out very quickly.

Not that I mind being the black sheep of the KM family, I’ve held that title for several years now and am quite proud of it, but while we are on the topic, those “reputation points” are seriously flawed. First of all, some guys seemed to have been given a bit of a head start, plus it gives those people, who don’t have the courage to put their names to an opinion, an easy way to harass others with nasty anonymous messages, such as the ones Ryan got and I myself have gotten a few as well. Plus, on top of that, the nasty unsigned messages make the receiver’s (not the sender’s) “reputation” suffer, which is a bit weird, like being named an outcast as punishment for being stalked. Maybe we should at least require people to leave their names when posting these things, just to cut down on the nonsense?

Anyway, onward. Good discussion here. Not sure why Ryan shouldn’t have posted that link, always good to get some additional information.

It seems that the initial article was aimed towards women without any type of martial arts experience, so maybe, just from that standpoint, some of the questioned info could still be useful to them? For example, “Always go to the groin.” Now, I agree, the groin may not always be available, maybe another strike would be better in certain situations, but imagining a woman, who has never even thought about self-defense before, pointing out the groin as a good potential target could be useful. Of course, she’d be better off practicing KM and learning solid combatives and tested defenses, but if she just isn’t willing to do that, telling her about hitting the groin may be useful advise, not always applicable, but still better than nothing.

Same with “running when you see a gun”. Having studied a self-defense system and knowing gun defenses is of course much preferable to that option, but what if she knows nothing about fighting or weapons defenses and a guy pulls a gun on her in a parking lot and orders her into his car? Knowing that there would be a good chance that she might be killed if she complied (or at very least brutally raped), turning and running could be a better option than to actually do what the gunman tells her to. Of course, doing a gun defense, then retreating would be much better, but if she doesn’t know one, running may be all she has got and may carry less risks than the alternative.

This is not to defend those statements, just saying, under some circumstances, for people without any other kind of experience, they may have some validity.

But it’s also important to point out problems with such statements, so people can get a better understanding of the issues. Also false statistics, such as “women with short hair are rarely attacked” should be explained.

One thing I noticed about the snopes article by the way, was that they seemed to discourage people from fighting back if accosted by a potential rapist (at least that’s what I took from it). That surprised me, because it would seem that in a good number of cases (obviously not all), making a big commotion and trying to fight back could give you a chance to get away. At least that’s what we would probably do in KM (under most circumstances).

vwr32

quote Giant Killer:

This is not to defend those statements, just saying, under some circumstances, for people without any other kind of experience, they may have some validity.

I could see where something like this might go unchallenged on say the oprah show where there isn’t a lot of experience… but when it’s posted on a krav site where there is tons of training, education, and law enforcement background it shouldn’t last 2 min and the flaws in the advice should be quickly examined.

The goal should never be to give the impression there are alternatives to experience. Instead, on a site like this I would expect to find reasons experience is a necessity and why the alternatives are flawed. What happens to the lurkers who might be thinking of taking up krav and see that they could decrease the chances of being attacked by simply getting their hair cut or ALWAYS running away if someone pulls a gun? If the statements have validity for people without experience, then they have validity for people with experience.

giant-killer

Well, I agree, that’s why I said it’s good that Ryan posted the links and pointed out what he thought was flawed. It’s good to have a discussion about it, so people know what should work and what doesn’t. I suppose I was just wondering about the motives of the original authors of the e-mail, maybe they meant well, just didn’t have all their facts straight (as opposed to it being more of a prank).

Welcome back by the way. You hadn’t been posting much lately.

ryan

Well, I actually think the thread likely accomplished what TJ was attempting to do, which is invoke discussion on this topic. Instead of all this BS about internet tough guys and rep points, let’s get back to discussing sexual assault awareness, shall we?

vwr32

quote Giant Killer:

Welcome back by the way. You hadn’t been posting much lately.

Thanks… glad someone noticed I was gone. thumbsup u rock.

Recently bought the Adobe CS3 Design Standard and have been playing around with Illustrator and the full blown Photoshop (finally!). As much as I thought I knew based on what I was using before (elements 2.0), this is a whole new world.

As for the rep system… love it. I’m assuming site admin can see who posts what, so if it gets unreasonable they can address the culprits? I like it kept anonymous… people are more apt to be honest.

Back on topic… I think we all agree one of the key *good* points of the email is the emphasis on situational awareness. I think the biggest hurdle future victims face is that most people already consider themselves to be fairly observant of their surroundings therefore they don’t need to make any changes. So the question is, how do you instill the perception for the need for improvement and how do you make situational awareness an involuntary act? I can’t speak for LE, but infantry training did a pretty good job at making situational awareness second nature. I’ve been out for years and still find myself scanning rooftops and tree lines lol.

unstpabl1

quote vwr32:

Thanks… glad someone noticed I was gone. thumbsup u rock..

I noticed, but didn’t want to encourage youthumbsup Just figured out what rep points are. Now I feel like I’m being judged by an angry faceless krav mob. Its too much pressure. Now I want to be likedbow1 “I’m not worthy”

one thing to address on topic is the stress for awareness. The phone thing is a big peeve of mine anyway, so I pay attention to it alot. People don’t have a clue on whats going on in their general vicinity when their on the phone. Notice who’s watching you. On the other hand you should never be w/o one.

ohskigod

a pretty good overview of rape from a pretty knowlegable guy

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/rape.html

actually, the info on the whole website about various types of crimes is pretty good.
    I just read his book called “Blunders, violence, and Fractured Jaws”, it was one of the best books I ever read.

those interested should give it an eyeball, he has some interesting trains of thought about crime, and more importantly, crime avoidance.

giant-killer

quote vwr32:

As for the rep system… love it. I’m assuming site admin can see who posts what, so if it gets unreasonable they can address the culprits? I like it kept anonymous… people are more apt to be honest.

Don’t know about that, but the whole thing is just too arbitrary in my opinion. You could rack up tons of good points for silly chit-chat with your buddies, or have one or two angry “stalker” guys anonymously bombard you with rude remarks that they wouldn’t dare to post on the regular forum and then you end up with bad points for it. Not sure that would be a true representation of your “reputation” either way. Plus, if someone doesn’t like a post, why not just say so on the thread, so we can all have fun discussing it?

But anyway. Glad to have you back and glad you found super photoshop (no, don’t remember the exact name and am too lazy to paste and copy ;): ) This will be fun, can we look forward to BOB doing KM exercises in the KM for Dummies book? And more charts and graphs? This ought to be fun :woohoo:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

GK please keep your posts on topic

Thank you

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: