Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

….aren’t they mandatory during class? Or at least suggested??!!

Not to complain, but if I catch another spray of sweat coming off another forearm during class, I’m probably going to throw up.

mara-jade

All I can say I always have mine handy for every class. Newbies sometimes don’t realize they need one till after the first class 😀

dkatman

Don’t start pretending you are sweating like a pig now.

I sweat as my main way to make the wrist release. It really makes it much easier to slip my wrist from somebody’s grasp when my gorilla hairy monkey arms are covered in sweat.

I have always taken my towel to every class I have ever taken (old gym habit). But I seriously never seem to use it until after class. I don’t take the time out to go wipe myself off. Now that you have brought it up though, maybe I will try training with the towel hanging from the back of my pants to see if that is still convenient to train, but keeps the towel more accessible.

Off topic: We spoke about double training again this Saturday. I have my daughter this Saturday morning also. I plan to bring her, but I will only make her sit and play through one class. One hour is much different than sitting around for 3 hours.

My email address is my name dave at my web page address.

Dave

Towel Combat

Do you really want to talk about towels? Check out this link….LOL…

Beginners Guide to Towel Combat

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6025411

FIGHTING AMERICAN

\”These Belts Aren’t Issued They’re Earned.\”

glenngordon

Dave,

How old is your daughter? You can always drop her off at the km-X location up the street while you are training….Several parents do this.

Glenn

smokelaw1

LOL… a topic a know something about.
    I’m a sweater. Really. REALLY. I bring at least three and usually four shirts to a 1-1.5 hour training session. The instructor routinely asks to demonstrate techniques on someone \”less nasty.\” (all in fun, he works with me quite a bit). And I genuinely feel badly when I am really nasty and we work bearhugs or ground game. Like last night, working with a young woman (more advanced than me) and in her guard or when I had a mount, I was dripping on her.

I always have a towel. I use it as often as possible out of respect for the other people who might need to come in contact with me. On a hot day, during the end of a hard workout, it doesn’t do any good. But, I think it is nice to at least show that I am cognizant of the us, issue, and I am trying to be respectful.

Re:

quote \”DKatman\:

Don’t start pretending you are sweating like a pig now.

I sweat as my main way to make the wrist release. It really makes it much easier to slip my wrist from somebody’s grasp when my gorilla hairy monkey arms are covered in sweat.

I have always taken my towel to every class I have ever taken (old gym habit). But I seriously never seem to use it until after class. I don’t take the time out to go wipe myself off. Now that you have brought it up though, maybe I will try training with the towel hanging from the back of my pants to see if that is still convenient to train, but keeps the towel more accessible.

Dave

lol. This thread wasn’t meant for you Dave! haha. If I do make one for you, it’ll be about bag gloves that smell like napalm.

All joking aside though, it just gets distracting when I have to worry about slipping both a jab and the afterspray from a sweaty forearm. The other day, I caught a MOUTHFUL of sweat off of some guy’s arm. Being a sweater myself, I’m constantly towelling off. Maybe I should stop so I can send a message to the others.

I just thought it was a rule that I read somewhere that it was necessary to bring a towel.

super-b

I’m a sweater, like smokelaw. I bring a towel to every class and by the end both me and the towel are soaked 😯 .

After I started with Krav I did some research to see if it is natural to sweat so much. I found that sweat is the body’s way of cooling itself, and that mucho sweating shows an efficient motor – or so I like to believe.

dkatman

Re:

quote \”glenngordon\:

Dave,

How old is your daughter? You can always drop her off at the km-X location up the street while you are training….Several parents do this.

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks. You know I am at the NTC, right? We have KMX in the same facility, right?

I have seen you there a few times. I will be sure to introduce myself, since we have exchanged posts now. I have seen the program, and always appreciate the times I am able to see a KMX class in room 2. It is really a great program and I have been really impressed with the instructors abilities to teach the kids. My daughter was fortunate enough to have one on one instruction from Matt (whom I get instruction from on Wednesday nights) during the St. Jude’s Fundraiser. He was great! I taught preschool for 11 years in a previous lifetime. He was great with her.

My issue is that I am a part time, single father. I cannot get her to classes at the times for the KMX program (I was ready to sign her up). I think I would be throwing money away (well spending too much money for the amount of classes she can take) if I were to sign her up. It would be VERY inconsistent (coming from the guy averaging 4 classes/week).

I will try to talk to you. I wonder if you might work something out to have me pay a per class fee for her since I am a member.

I like your thought though. I would love for her to have a class while I do. Then I would also have a sparring partner, right?

Dave

giant-killer

At the NTC there are some kids classes on Saturdays. Maybe that would work? Or private kids classes.

dkatman

Brilliant!

GK,

Brilliant idea with the Private sessions. I do not know if she has to be a member to be able to do that.

I did take her this last Saturday. She participated in the 5-7 year old class to show her (even though she is 8). She liked it. She thought she might stick around and try the A Class. But just when it was supposed to start, she got intimidated by the bigger kids. i was surprised and couldn’t understand it. But I wasn’t going to make her take it. She sat and watched my class instead.

We talked about it afterwards. It sounded like she might have been fine with it had I sat in and watched hers instead of taking my class. While it wasn’t what I WANTED to do, I totally would have done that to have her try the class. But then, she brought that up after we were in the car.

I wonder if that might be a better idea in the future (private sessions) as her attendance would be VERY sporadic as I am a part time single Dad. Her available hours don’t seem to synch well with the hours of class. And they don’t have Sunday hours for the kids.

I do think she would like it though. She has seemed to really enjoy them and the instructors have all been great. And everyone (Matt) has been very supportive in being certain they can do something to help out to let her get involved.

As a side note, I am really thinking we have had to cross paths at the NTC at some time. I try to be there for the 9:30 and 11:30 Level 1’s on Saturday. I know you are well beyond those, but I had to have passed you before class at some point.

Dave

giant-killer

I usually come in for the 12:30pm groundfighting class. Haven’t been there the last few weeks, because I was in Vegas and I before that I had to be somewhere else on Saturday. But I should be back this coming Saturday. I’m the little (but ferocious) one, short brown hair, with the horribly frayed pants and sewed on red stripes.

If you are there on Saturday, maybe you could watch the kids class the first few times, until your daughter gets used to the other kids. Usually Matt is there on Saturdays, he sometimes teaches more advanced kids a little later (those kids scare me, they got guns… 🙂 ). Maybe he could teach a private class for her. Or maybe she could find some friends to go with her and they could all take private classes together when it would be convenient for all of them. You could split the costs with the other parents and maybe they could take your daughter if you can’t get off from work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: