Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Training in an elevator (or simulation).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    la-revancha

One of our LIII suggested trying to find an elevator to practice close quarter defenses in confined space. Unfortunately we don’t have one at our convenience. I thought about simulating the space by enclosing space with some portable mats.

Any one out there training in similiar conditions? (bear hugs, weapons, etc.?)

What about a storage closet? I’m L2 and would love to do it too 😀

Your post made me think of a related issue: if you’re trapped in a confined space with an assailant with no immediate escape in sight (e.g., in a jammed elevator), would you rather try to do minimal damage and just keep knocking him out if he comes to (and exposing yourself to more danger especially if you’re already hurt), or do more serious damage to him from the start? I know it brings us back to the legal standard of what a reasonable person would do in that situation, but just curious what people out there think.

clfmak

I know I mention this kind of a lot, but anyway…
    Check out attackproof.com, and look at the video clips. There’s one or two self defense drills that they do inside a simulated elevator. Its also got a description of the facility. Baisically, they have this enclosed area that looks like an elevator, inside a larger room. With the right amount of funding, thats a thought. Maybe a room like a storage closet would be an option, and it would be helpful to have a videocamera to review what happens.
    The guy who started the site and the methods depicted recounts a story from one of his students. A woman, after a few self defense classes with him, was accosted in an elevator. The man, who was a sexual predator, pressed the button to go to the basement. From a fear reaction stance, she exploded into his eyes and mashed all of the buttons, making the elevator stop. It opened between floors and shewas seen kicking the man on the ground.
    It seems that if you have the ability, you’d want to use the smallest amount of damage- maybe something like a joint lock or immobilization, or a mount. Its probable that there will be someone to help in a reasonable amount of time. On the other hand, an elevator is also a place where someone is probably out to commit a very serious crime, probably without concern for being caught. This kind of thing probably isn’t a mugging- they couldn’t get away easilly. It seems like it would be someone who is murderous or crazy, most likely aiming to attack you with something like a knife.

anonymous

Hey, that’s a question I’ve always wanted to ask but was too lazy to! 🙂

I think practicing in an elevator would be a great idea. If you don’t have access to an actual elevator you could maybe practice in a corner of your gym and then create one or two artificial walls with big matts or something. Of course a real elevator would be better.

I’d be especially concerned about weapons defenses in an elevator. If it’s stuck completely, that would of course be real bad. I’d say you would have to do whatever you can to knock the guy out. If he has a weapon and you are able to take it away (gun or knife) I think you may have to use it and stab or shoot him in that situation. You could of course try to step back as far as possible, point the weapon at him and tell him not to get closer. If he does anyway, you might have to shoot or stab. I don’t know what the law would dictate in such a situation. But I guess you would have to use you own judgement to deterrmine if the guy is still a threat to you.

If he’s unarmed and you are somehow able to knock him out, maybe you can find something to tie him up with while he’s out cold (if the elevator is stuck). Maybe your jacket or sweatshirt or something, then you wouldn’t have to worry about fighting him again if he wakes up.

If the elevator is in motion I guess what that girl did is a good idea to just try and press as many buttons as possible to make the elevator stop. Then get out as soon as the door opens. Meanwhile try to hit him with everything you got, if possible move your body in such a way that as soon as the door opens you can get out. Of course, if he has a gun, you should try to disarm him before disengaging.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: