Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Training vs Training.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    roadford01

Hey every one,

Just so every one knows why I am asking this, I believe in the philosophy of training in different forms of combat. This includes, hand to hand fighting, knife fighting, baton fighting, and gun fighting. I wanted to find out every one else’s thoughts on how to balance training in these different forms, and on how to add physical training, such as strength or gym training, to the mix.

Thanks in advance.

don

Re: Training vs Training.

quote Roadford01:

Hey every one,

Just so every one knows why I am asking this, I believe in the philosophy of training in different forms of combat. This includes, hand to hand fighting, knife fighting, baton fighting, and gun fighting. I wanted to find out every one else’s thoughts on how to balance training in these different forms, and on how to add physical training, such as strength or gym training, to the mix.

Thanks in advance.

😛

roadford01

Please explain…

don

That stuff you’re talking about? Lots of people have trained for decades and written volumes (and produced bunches of videos – lots of free ones on youtube too) on all those subjects. Are you expecting someone to cover all that info in one or two written posts?

My advice in a nutshell would be: Go research, study, learn, train, experience, experiment, test, blend – ‘absorb what is useful, discard what is not, and add what is uniquely your own’.

Be great at a few things, good at many, and master of none.

Figure out what’s available and affordable; if neither of those two conditions can be satisfied it won’t matter how first-hit-knockout-tacular the training program is, you won’t use it. Pick something and form a foundation around it, then add to it with something else. You can’t compress years of learning and experience into a few months and expect to be proficient.

roadford01

T.Timmy

I do not disagree, I know people who are new to personal defense have a hard time knowing how to train for physical ability and to train for skill use. I am trying to get guidance from those that would know more than me. about the subject. So far nothing but what feels like ridicule has resulted.

don

1. Like I said before – there are TONS of information out there and, in addition, not all of it is in agreement.

2. The best programs will be the ones tailored to YOU and you have provided NOTHING about yourself for anyone to work with.

3. Without knowing anything about you, I gave you what I feel is solid advice from my vantage point. Take it or leave it, it was free.

4. How much training have you had? Because you asked what you asked, I’m guessing the answer would be “not much” or “very little”. You should get out more and TRAIN. You’ll better understand things once you get some experience under your belt – no pun intended. “If you want to learn to swim, jump in the water. On dry land, no frame of mind is ever going to help you.”

5. Back to not knowing you – you really should be asking your questions to someone who is training you or has trained you. No two people who train with me are exactly the same and I don’t train everyone exactly the same. It’s NOT a cut & dried topic and there are no cookie cutter answers.

6. Start with one thing that you think is most important or enjoyable and get good at it. Then start learning other stuff. Some places will already mix things, including the fitness aspect.

Keep this in mind as you start and progress in your training:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL05Es8LVAQ

quote Roadford01:

T.Timmy
    So far nothing but what feels like ridicule has resulted.

Not ridicule at all; but Don’s quote about swimming is perfect: you don’t know what you don’t know and until you expose yourself to the kind of training available, nothing we can say will help you. Concentrate on one thing at a time so you don’t burn out.
    Do you have a particular question about where to start?

connorb

quote Roadford01:

Hey every one,

Thanks in advance.

Good question Roadford,

Personally, I believe that cardio-strength training is equally as important as any self-defense training you may be doing.(Strong emphasis on Cardio) Sure, you may be able to throw a series of combinations against the heavy bag but it is an entirely different story when you are going multiple three minute rounds against a moving target that is returning fire.

I doubt that you will ever have to encounter a three minute long fight for your life.(Realistically, more like 30 seconds) but if you are training well enough to make it through even one three minute round, you should be conditioned well enough to push through the adrenaline dump that inevitably follows that initial adrenaline surge that results from an assault.

Be great at a few things, good at many, and master of none.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: