Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Training with gloves or not

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Re: Training with gloves or not

I prefer grappling gloves over wraps because you can take them off quickly and put them on quickly as needed.

kmtakinkm

I only wear gloves when there is extensive period of pad work planned. My logic is that during combatitives or some short term punching I want to “feel” my technique so I can correct it. While I agree with the general idea about injuries, a wrap or glove offers protection for wrists that you will not have in real life so the feeling of a punch without protection is important for me (It seems to have strengthened my wrists). Also when you are attacked on the street you will not have the benifit of gloves or wraps so I think I need to have the experience of what punching feels like without protection.
    My $0.02.

russell

i used to wrap all the time, now about a third of the time, but i use 14 oz boxing gloves all the time, between the gloves and the wraps, thats a 1lb on your hands every time you punch the first few times i wore both at the start of the class i was punching at head level and about chest level at the end

it was a hell of a workout i also noticed a little more deffinition on my upper arms

just my opinion

russell

kmman

I’ve been using gloves now and now Im wondering if Im better off with gloves that dont have that bar in the middle. I dont really need for grabbing, if I have gloves on its for pads/bags so is that bar better for that? I assume that bar offers protection…or is it bad for my fist development?

guitarded-1

I train with gloves and really like the wrist support. I looked around for a decent MMA style glove and was pretty disappointed with what I found locally. After doing a lot of research, I got some of these:

http://www.txmma.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=182

The price is right and they seem to be great quality. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

ekkis

quote guitarded_1:

I train with gloves and really like the wrist support. I looked around for a decent MMA style glove and was pretty disappointed with what I found locally. After doing a lot of research, I got some of these:

http://www.txmma.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=182

The price is right and they seem to be great quality. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

I tried the link but the domain is no longer available it seems. what’s the brand/model of the gloves? I too have been very disappointed with what’s out there and if you found something you’re happy with I’d love to know what it is…

esquire32

An ongoing discussion I always seem to have. I always get the look of why don’t you wear gloves for anything ( sparring excepted of course..and thats for them not me ) I don’t wear gloves, wraps, etc. in Krav, nor when doing bag/focus mitts etc in kickboxing. Theory being.. I never got into a REAL fight with a set of gloves, wraps, etc on. I want the hand as conditioned as it can get, then at least I know what I can take or not and won’t have any artificial sense of security.

Just my opinion.

lennykravitz

I’ve never trained with gloves apart from sparring. I guess I’ve never really had a hand injury either. I can see both sides of the argument, personal choice (as long as it is a responsible choice).

kmyoshi

One of Krav Maga’s principles is to train hard but train safe. I wear gloves because if I’m hitting a bag or pad, eventually the skin on my knuckles will peel and that hurts really bad when it comes time to clean up/shower.

The benefit I can see from not using gloves is it helps you learn how not to roll your wrist when you punch (bad punch technique). The first few times I punched without the grappling gloves (level 1) I rolled my wrist and it felt uncomfortable for a few days. I kept it up and now punch properly 😀 but still wear gloves so I don’t skin myself.

revobuzz

I like to mix.

I train without gloves for most, including focus mitt stuff but put them on for heavier pad sessions.

You don’t want injury, and you get a better workout with gloves, but we are training for reality too.

I have MMA style gloves with a built in wrist strap. Quick to take on and off.

bullseye
    quote Kirsten:

Nothing more frustrating than somebody that refuses to wear wraps or gloves in my classes then bleeds all over everyone and my equipment. Its inconsiderate and nobody is buying the “I am really tough” thing when they are cleaning all the blood up and apologizing for creating a hazmat issue in class.

Happened to me twice, so far. And when I got my training partner’s blood on my hand I was not to pleased. >:(

I’ve also noticed when someone doesn’t use hand protection they start off strong but their punches weaken the longer they go. Eventually their knuckles are so sore they just can’t put any power into their strikes.

I’ve only punched bare knuckled, in Krav class once. My very first one and only because we went outside and I didn’t have time to go back in to get my MMA gloves. My knuckles hurt like hail and my right fist still has a small scar on it to this day.

Now I have those(grappling gloves) and some gel hand wraps. I prefer using the gels because they’re small enough to give me feedback if I’m punching wrong but still protect my knuckles and wrists.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: