Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

Good fights. Nice win by Chuck. He was holding his hands really low though. Would there be any advantage to doing that in a street or MMA fight? Or can only he do it, because of the good striker that he is?

prekarious1

Didn’t get to watch it for once, but Chuck has always held his hands low. He also uses angles that are just strange because of the way he moves and holds himself

jburtonpdx

Yeah every fight I have seen of him has been that way, hands are low. I wonder if he is trying to draw the other fighter in…

Chuck is not human thats for sure, whatever he is, he is freakin tough.

johnwhitman

It’s those long arms. (And, of course, the skill and the incredible hitting power.) With those arms, he tends to hit people first at the beginning of any exchange, and also to get them as they get out and think they’re out of range.

Personally, I wouldn’t recommend the low hands to any typical person. (Remember, all of us — great fighters especially — have attributes that others don’t; we can’t copy a style if we don’t share those attributes.) Liddell seems to be inviting the strikes because that’s what he wants to happen, and because those long arms can catch the other guy as he closes. Notice though, that when Tito threw a couple of high kicks, his hands seemed to be up to defend.

garddawg

I probably shouldn’t even respond after John but here goes.

John Hackelman, Chuck Liddell’s trainer teaches a low lead hand stance. He says it allows the lead hook to develop more quickly and powerfully than when the hand is held high. He also teaches a more loose style of punching than traditional boxing. If you watch them train a hook they will hit through their target, so much so that their momentum will cause them to pivot so that their back will momentarily be towards the opponent. They also make heavy use of the overhand right and end up in much the same position if they miss the punch.

Hackelman says punching like this adds power, and that there is little risk if you miss. It is hard to argue with the success of his fighters, in the ring. However in the street there is great risk to missing a punch and ending up with your back momentarily exposed, and I’m not a fan of having your hands down when you know a threat is present. In the ring you know a knife will not come into play. In the street you cannot assume that someone you think is unarmed truly is. I believe that the low lead hand makes some weapon defenses problematic.

anonymous

Another advantage of holding the hands that low may be that the developing punches are harder to see. The other fighter comes straight forward with his combination and if you are able to get out of the way using a body defense instead of hand defense, you can come straight up or around with your counter, which will be hard for the opponent to discern.

It reminds me of our gun defense, where the hand comes up in a straight line from below, which is harder to see than if your hands were up and coming down toward the weapon.

I can also imagine it being a stronger hook punch from that position, possibly more like a whiplash motion. I’ve tried this myself against the heavybag before and if you start with your arm low (or drop your arm/hand a little first, roll your shoulder forward, then punch) it can be stronger, but of course all of this is risky unless your body defenses and vision are really good.

They also made the point during the broadcast that it’s harder to defend just covering up or using your hands in a MMA fight (opposed to a boxing match), because those small fists often find their way through the defense anyway.

emil

in my humble opinion, in addition to his physical attributes, Chuck also has a good \”sense\” of the fight. He seems to be aware of what his opponent is doing and capitalizes on those errors. Other fighters that have the same \”sense\” are Anderson Siva, Fedor, Cro Cop and BJ. In addition, it seems that Chuck has an awesome takedown defense. No one seems to be able to break through that. On their first match up, Randy was able to capitalize on Chuck’s weaknesses in the clinch, but he seems to have closed that gap since then. I think it would take a really good striker that can outbox him, a bad day for Chuck, or someone that could effectively take him down and keep him down.

wyatt9696

i agree 100% with all of the above post. Chuck is a counter puncher, and just waits for that one mistake, and it’s lights out. I think Vanderlai Silva would give him a tough fight. To me, that would be a tough one to pick. All in all, some really good fights. I think that undercard was the best one yet.

anonymous

Maybe holding the arms lower is also advantageous for the takedown defense, because the hands are already in position to push the opponent away as he is coming in.

garddawg

Liddell wrestled for Cal Poly SLO. On top of that when they train they bring in wrestlers who just try and take him down.

One of the great things about Liddell is that he refuses to play the other guys game.

psyops

Hands down?

Ali had his hands down all the time! The reason why this is effective is that every other fighter is constantly being told to get their hands up. So when the fighters see their opponents hands at their waists they are encouraged to come forward. When they come forward they are over anxious and so focused on the \”opening\” they get caught on the way in.

The thing to remember though is that if your hands are low you had better be able to slip punches, kicks etc… Or you better be able to take a punch. Speed and power are a deadly combination. Chuck has them both.

Again all of the talk about the \”ground game\” of various fighters is quickly thrown out of the window when the \”ground expert\” gets punched in the mouth. Chuck is stronger, faster, great defender and more powerful than Tito! No surprise. He wins again! The UFC just bought out another organization.This organization had RAMPAGE JACKSON on their roster and the UFC now owns his contract. I would love to see him fight Chuck again. He owned Chuck when they fought in PRIDE!

anonymous

Maybe, if you train with your hands down all of the time, you are so used to it that it isn’t that much more dangerous than holding the hands up high. You’ll know how to defend the punch (mostly with body defenses, so you have to train to be quick). You might also be able to do outside hand defenses. And the different style will be confusing to your opponent, who might be drawn in, thinking he is safe and then run right into your punch.

Jackson/Chuck would be cool to watch. Is it the WTA the UFC is absorbing? WTA was affiliated with Bas’s new gym in Hollywood I think. They had an opening party and I saw Rampage there. There were also two little boys, maybe 6 and 7, pretty small, but they were sparring MMA in a small octagon outside like little pros, amazing. Then it turned out those were Rampage’s kids, which explained everything! 8)

garddawg

Of course Chuck is stronger and faster, the Pit is a CrossFit gym and Chuck uses CrossFit for his GPP. 😆

evo8

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

Maybe holding the arms lower is also advantageous for the takedown defense, because the hands are already in position to push the opponent away as he is coming in.

I agree with that reason. He knew tito couldn’t stand with him and of course he would try to shoot.

Can’t wait to see cro cop destroy UFC heavyweights.

gwalsh-d92

Bring Fedor over!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: