Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    evo8

Re:

quote \”gwalsh\:

Bring Fedor over!

Did you catch Pride Shockwave 2006? i’ve never seen Fedor have such a hard time in Pride before. Mark Hunt’s getting better on the ground.

greenbeanie

Re:

[johnwhitman]
    \”Personally, I wouldn’t recommend the low hands to any typical person. (Remember, all of us — great fighters especially — have attributes that others don’t; we can’t copy a style if we don’t share those attributes.)\”

I agree. A few days ago, I was watching the top 50 Beatdowns, parts 1 and 2, on the Fox Sports Network (FSN). FSN was showing beatdowns from PRIDE and boxing matches. The overall majority of knockouts were the result of fighters having their hands down too low or throwing a punch and not recoiling fast enough to protect themselves. The latter subjecting the fighter to an overhand punch. I made a point of seeing why they were knocked out. It was quite telling.

emil

I am not sure I agree with this 100%. Fighters get knocked out mostly with punches they didn’t expect or see coming. If you watch pro bouts, they get hit dozens of times with hands down, that’s why the score cards are so high. Ultimately it’s not the punch that gets through, it’s the one they weren’t ready for. There are always exceptions, particularly with head kicks. Expected or not, with enough head whiplash, loss of consiuousness is likely.
    However for the rest of us mortals having the guard up is of utmost importance.Not to mention, in self defense scenarios it’s cruicial.

greenbeanie

Re:

[Emil]
    \”Fighters get knocked out mostly with punches they didn’t expect or see coming.\”

I agree. And that does not negate the fact that for most of the FSN Beatdown knockouts, the hands were too low to protect the head. Thus, a knockout occurred.

kravmdjeff

Emil, I agree with you to an extent, but that’s why most fighters train to KEEP their hands up, rather than only bring them up when they need to defend. In my understanding, the whole reason why someone would keep their non-striking hand up as they strike is so they don’t have to actively make a move to defend against a punch that they don’t see coming.

In my relatively (relative to any ring fighter) limited sparring experience I know that I primarily get hit hard with shots i don’t see coming, but I also defend lots of strikes that I don’t see coming just by having good fundamentals, like keeping my hands up during whatever.

greenbeanie

Re:

[KravMDjeff]
    \”…but I also defend lots of strikes that I don’t see coming just by having good fundamentals, like keeping my hands up during whatever.\”

My point exactly.

prekarious1
    anonymous

Although in our type of sparring we usually wear boxing gloves, which are very big and padded and therefore protect the head well, even if you don’t see the punch. During the UFC broadcast, they made the point however that in MMA fights those small fists can still get through the defense, even if the hands are up, so it may not be as good a protection as it would be in a boxing match.

prekarious1

The 4 oz MMA gloves are a lot smaller and actually allow you to use your hands to grab and manipulate instead of just padding for throwing a punch. They really don’t increase the physical size of your hands that much so it puts more responsibility on the fighter to block, dodge, parry or anything else.
    The gloves are close to small enough that training with them gives you a better idea of what it would be like to have nothing on your hands in a fight as far as blocking goes. The padding on them in minimal so you actually feel the punch as well. If you have never tried sparring with them try it atleast once just to get the feel for it. Might open up some discussions if tried.

anonymous

We don’t usually spar with MMA gloves, however we sometimes go lightly with no gloves at all, just open hands or closed fist to the body and it does feel different. It’s good to try both methods of sparring.

anonymous

Just watched the Samuel Peters/James Toney fight and it reminded me that plenty of boxers also seem to have a style where they are keeping their hands pretty low. In this case, both Peters and Toney often had their body bladed to the side and their lead hand hanging all the way down in front of them, defending the punches mostly with body movements. They would jab from that position, but then pull the arm right back down. Especially for Toney, the right hand would often be low, too, and sometimes he had his arms crossed in front of his chest, while doing body movements to defend.

Why is this style preferred by some boxers? Whenever I’ve tried it (once in a while), I personally liked punching from a position where my arms were down. I’m not sure why, but it seems to give additional power and it may be sneakier (harder for the opponent to see). Of course, the problem comes when it’s time to defend.

Overall, this was a pretty good heavyweight fight, plenty of action, not just two guys sleepwalking for 11 1/2 rounds. Peters looks like a walking rock. Toney could have used a giant killer to get rid of him.

greenbeanie

Re:

[Giantkiller]
    \”Just watched the Samuel Peters/James Toney fight…\”

Did you notice that Billy Blanks, of Tae Bo fame, was one of Toney’s cornermen? He was holding the spittoon bucket.

wyatt9696

Re:

quote \”greenbeanie\:

[Giantkiller]
    \”Just watched the Samuel Peters/James Toney fight…\”

Did you notice that Billy Blanks, of Tae Bo fame, was one of Toney’s cornermen? He was holding the spittoon bucket.

billy was james toney’s conditioning coach for this fight. he definitely \”toned\” toney up a bit, but he came in 1 pound heavier than his last fight. James is fighting up like 3 weight classes. it could be time to hang them up. imo

anonymous

Yeah, I noticed the Tae Bo guy. He looked a little as if he was about to cry when he saw Toney being beat up. 🙂

My mom trains at Freddie Roach’s (Toney’s trainer’s) Wild Card Gym and somebody told her that Toney didn’t train enough for the fight, coming in only three times a week with a big cigar in his mouth. No wonder he lost.

greenbeanie

Re:

[Giantkiller]
    \”My mom trains at Freddie Roach’s…\”

Interestingly, Freddie Roach comes from my state, Massachusetts. He was born in Brockton, MA (former home of Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler) and grew up in Dedham, MA, a town contiguous to Boston.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: