Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Up for a challange? Try the Bataan Memorial Death March!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am looking to put together a team to compete in the Bataan Memorial Death March on 30 March 2008 in New Mexico. I currently need 4 other members. You do not need to be in the military, but you do need to train for the event. I would prefer members in the Southern California area so we can train together, but I am willing to consider people from other areas as long as they are reliable. This march will be on varied desert terrain and will include uphill and fairly deep sand. I am also looking to enter the heavy category, so that means 35 pound packs minimum, not including water or anything that can be picked up en route. These packs will be inspected and weighed at the finish line, so no funny business. If you don’t have intergrity, you should not be taking part in an event like this anyways. There are 12 water points which stock both water and sports drinks as well as aid stations and roving medical patrols. I have posted some of the info from the site, as well as the link, below. If you have issues with transportation, lodging, or registration, I can make arrangements, so just get ahold of me. thumbsup

J-

The Bataan Memorial Death March is a challenging march through the high desert terrain of White Sands Missile Range, N.M., conducted in honor of the heroic service members who defended the Philippine Islands during World War II, sacrificing their freedom, health and, in many cases, their very lives.

The GREEN route is the full 26.2-mile Bataan Memorial Death March. Awards are presented to the top two finishers in each category. Those marching the 26.2 miles will be able to experience, in part, what Soldiers endured during their long forced trek through the Philippines.

http://www.bataanmarch.com

raneman

Re: Up for a challange? Try the Bataan Memorial Death March!

I think I already did this as the graduation test in SOI. 🙂

Seriously man if it was 12 years ago I would be in for sure. That weight would have been cake after humpin in a heavy weapons platoon weekly.

Good luck and I wish you luck in winning it brother.

Pete

quote Raneman:

I think I already did this as the graduation test in SOI. 🙂

Seriously man if it was 12 years ago I would be in for sure. That weight would have been cake after humpin in a heavy weapons platoon weekly.

Good luck and I wish you luck in winning it brother.

Pete

Yeah… I’ve done two 25 mile humps in training(one 35 pound ruck plus gear, the other 50 pound ruck plus gear). I’ve done longer in combat on the same kind of terrain I’m going to see on the course with more weight, but those movements were EXTREMELY slow and broken up a bit. I’m guessing this is going to be a mix of the two. Can’t wait!

J-

raneman

Just curious but is this predominantly military? If so, I would watch out for the Recon guys or SS/heavy weapons guys from 29 Palms. Normal training is 12-15 mile RUNS with 35-40 lb packs, if I remember correctly.

I would highly suggest finding a “hill buster”..somone big and storng enough to pull you team up hills to conserve stamina. In heavy weapons we had a couple guys like that the the little guys would hook to to get the gear up sloped terrain. You have done the long humps before so you know what I mean. 🙂

Do you guys have to do it in boots or can you use more “comfortable” gear? I remember the blisters after 27 mile hikes and those were no joke, especially when docs decided to put that liquid fire crap on them to help them heal faster and it took a whole platoon to hold the guy down when they did it lol.

It’s a military event, but there are a lot of civilians who participate as well. There are all military male and co-ed categories I could do or civilian male and co-ed categories. The category I enter just depends on who joins the team. As far as boots go, if I do the civilian category, I can wear whatever I want, but I’m wearing my good old Army issue desert boots. Very well broken in and they’ve never failed me before. Why mess with something that works? In the military category, you have to comply with AR 670-1 (Wear and appearance of the military uniform).

Yikes… I almost forgot about hot shots. I never let the medics give me one, but I remember some of the guys who got them screaming. No bueno.

raneman

Ahh good to hear you have an option instead of having to compete with the hardcore humpers out there if your team isn’t of the same composition. Yeah nothing beats a well broken in pair of boots. I have a pair of jungles I still wear to work around the house(the Vietnam era green ones with the canvas) and nothing beats those in comfort.

Hehe yeah we had a 6’7″ 260 lb guy in one of my platoons and the doc tried to give him a hot shot for a blister over the bottom of his heal. We had 55 guys in the room trying to hold him down and when he got that thing there was no way we could hold him down(we were piled on him at the time)

I had a beast about the same size in my platoon named Ralston. He got kicked out of the AT platoon because he couldn’t fit in the turret!!! This guy wouldn’t quit no matter what. He ended up doing a 12 mile hump with some really bad blisters. When he was finished and went back to the barracks, he took his boots off in his room and then went down the hall to grab something in his socks. There were bloody footprints down the entire hallway! Not one complaint, and he was carrying the AG gear and taking on extra equipment when another guy rolled his ankle.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: