Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge using P90X to increase strength

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tech94

hey guys, i just completed week number 3 of my P90X 90 day training regimen yesterday. its been pretty hard squeezing in time to do the P90X and train jkd and krav, but i would like to get back in shape like in my 20’s (im 32 now) i started at 225lbs and im down to 203 now. anyone else on here tried p90x before? any advice? personally i have substitued the cardio days w km/jkd training and have done the plyometrics prog. its torture.

freelancer

Re: using P90X to increase strength

Well first off good job man, sounds like your going at it pretty hard, make sure your getting rest. I am far from being a fitness guru, but I did do P90x for a while, and it will defenitely get you into shape but the problem I had with it was the length of time as well as the repetition… In short I got bored with it and wasn’t enjoying it after about a month.

I do remember them stressing adherence to the program as a whole including diet (zone) and not avoiding particular workouts. Not doing the cardio may not be the best thing to do if your trying to lose weight although it sounds like your getting in other workouts.

Make sure your not over training, eating good and most of all, having fun. There are other people on this board that are much more qualified than I to give advice on training, so if you have questions they’ll be happy to help.

kvmorl

Kind of old but thought of using instead of new thread.

Have you kept up p90?

I just got it as a gift from my bud, he has made huge improvements physically with it and got me one.

My question is, with doing Krav 3-4 times a week, do you modify the p90 program to not burn out?

Can i concentrate on the Abs X or others?

tech94

yes i have managed to continue doing both. with p90x you do cardio and resistance training on alternate days. i’m an R and so i only work 3 days per week so i have aot of time to do both. on my cardio days i train KM and JKD. and on resistance days i do the lifting techniques from the dvd’s. i have been using the training cycle calendar they include with the only difference being my cardio is mostly martial arts. i have been doing the yoga portion as well in the early mornings when im off from work too. so some days i do both martial arts and yoga on same day. its pretty hard but i have made some progress.

kvmorl

Ok, I see what you mean, someone suggested same thing to replace cardio with my Krav classes.

Have you followed the diet(zone)? it brings?

tech94

i have tried to stick to the diet but have zeered off track. i eat healthy and eat about 5 small meals a day. try to not eat after 6 or 7 and have completely cut out empty calorie sources like soda and coffee w sugar. like i said i work as an RN and sometimes coffee is the only thing that keeps me moving lol. so that has been amongst the hardest to give up

jjones243992

quote tech94:

i have tried to stick to the diet but have zeered off track. i eat healthy and eat about 5 small meals a day. try to not eat after 6 or 7 and have completely cut out empty calorie sources like soda and coffee w sugar. like i said i work as an RN and sometimes coffee is the only thing that keeps me moving lol. so that has been amongst the hardest to give up

I’m starting the p90x routine today, thought I would supplement there cardio plan for my KM training

garddawg

P90x is about looking good. Absolutely nothing wrong with that if its your goal. However advertising it as a strength program is misleading. It is not unlike how those of us who are KM instructors feel when we see the latest slick ad advertising Tae Kwon do as a serious street self defense art. TKD is great. If you love the art do it. There is a lot of benefit from being involved in it. Just don’t bill it as the next KM. P90X is not about being strong or getting strong. If you are understrong to begin with you are likely to get stronger, but you would do that no matter what program you followed, but your certainly not going to get strong enough that anyone that is strong would take you seriously. Again nothing wrong with looking good and following a program you like, just don’t advertise it as a strength program.

kvmorl

My goal for this program is to Lean out, Fat %.

garddawg

Absolutely nothing wrong with that as a goal.

tech94

well sir i find your comment mildly offensive and condescending. i am not training for vanity. i’m 33 worked night shift as an RN and have let myself get sadly out of shape. my strength gains have been undeniable. in addition to strength gains i have also gained my HEALTH which with a baby girl due in july is far more important to me than any vain attempt to look “good”, so sir i have to ask you have you ever used the p90x? are you speaking from experience? the program IS NOT soley about looking good. it will in fact burn fat and increase your cardio/stamina and if you have EVER used the program even for the 1st phase you will not say that it will not increase your strength. it will increase your strength every bit as much as hitting the gym and lifting weight 3 times/week….oh yeah thats because you are using resistance training and had you ever even watched one of the dvd’s you’d know that. i challenge you to do the routine and then deny strength increases. this program WILL increase your strength without question.

garddawg

Tech94,
    I own a gym. Have had many people on P90X come through. They get buried. They can’t keep up. As to my stats. I’m turning 50 this year, I weigh 170, I deadlift 430, clean 220, I can do 40-50 pull ups, and run a 6:00 mile. I don’t think I should switch my program.

garddawg

Tech94,
    My post above sounds harsh. If I could edit it I would. Any program that gets people off their ass, working out, and eating right is okay in my book. My objection isn’t to the program, but rather the title of your thread. Congratulations on your child. Best reason in the world to take care of yourself.

tech94

no worries, just dont to feel like what im doing is for vanity. p90x is a “quick” 90 day program its not meant to be a life long routine just a way to get you off ur ass as you say and get you into some shape other than round..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: