Home Forums Moved Threads/Posts Vanguard Krav Maga

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Vanguard Krav Maga

quote bear34:

I just saw the comments criticizing Vanguard as sounding like, “My Krav is better than your Krav.” I think until they are proven fraudulent they should be treated as legitimate.

For the record neither Kevin or Pysops are KMW BB’s so I don’t think thats the case here. They arnt even in the same orgs. They are both highly reguarded school owners.

bear34

quote CJs Dad:

For the record neither Kevin or Pysyops are KMW BB’s so I don’t think thats the case here. They arnt even in the same orgs. They are both highly reguarded school owners.

I study with IKMF myself. I just felt like people were jumping to an unfairly negative conclusion. I hope they are above board, myself. Krav Maga needs a bigger presence. Most people I know have never heard of it.

kravmg

Thank you for your responses. If I may, could anyone tell me what belts/levels can a level 1 instructor award to his students? Could anyone explain to me what is the difference between level 1 and level 5 instructors? Under KMW guidelines, what are they legally allowed to test, and do they award a certificate from KMW, or from the school? There’s a school in Stockton, CA where the main instructor and owner is a level 2 instructor under KMW who is awarding black belts to his students. Thank you kindly for your help.

psyops

Kevin,

I was at the same certification with Eyal that one of the guys from Vanguard attended. He is a good practioner and he has trained with some of the very same people that you and I have. He is certainly not a liar or a cheat.

You have been around long enough to know that an instructors lineage does not automatically mean that the instructor is as skilled as his teacher. KMWW does not honor belts from other organizations and I have been told that the reason that they don’t do so is because not all instructors are created the same. For the record there are other reasons that belts aren’t honored either. I don’t really have a problem with any of that. I do have a problem when instructors receive their belt from the same person and one starts to question the validity of the other. But organizations can do whatever they wish.

I believe that people who put too much faith in an organization are just as ignorant as those who do not take the lineage of an organization into consideration at all. I was once part of KMWW and in fact I have many friends here at the mothership. At my school belts from other legitimate organizations are always honored.

psyops

One last thing. There are guys who have self promoted. They are calling themselves Grandmaster, The Source, The greatest Krav Maga practioners on the planet etc… Who bestowed these titles upon these individuals? It most certainly wasn’t Imi. What none of these guys realize is that they are no more succesful because of these self appointed ranks and titles.

kevinmack

For full disclosure here is the bio of myself and my instructor.
    http://atlantickravmaga.com/instructors.htm

I look at it this way. One of my best friends is a very talented graphic designer who has worked in the field for 13 years. He has tons of talent and a great portfolio and has been hired many times based on that. But for some reason he claims to have a BFA from a local university on his resume and I know for a fact he dropped out in his first year. Why does he feel the need to do this when his talent would speak for itself? I dont know. I would never be able to do that as I would feel like a fake.

Now lets look at my situation. My instructor earned his green belt/instructor certification the same day as Darren Levine. He opened the first KM school in the US and has been training and teaching for 30 years. He received his 3rd degree black belt from Imi and was on the same track as Darren but due to a medical issue in the early 90s he was never promoted further while Darren his now 6th degree. He is long overdue for a promotion and should be the same rank as Darren if not at least a 4th or 5th degree. But his instructor is no longer living so what should he do? If anyone should self promote it should be him but he doesnt out of respect for his teacher and his teachers standards. I do the same. As a first degree black belt I can only promote up to blue belt. I would like to be able to promote my students to black belt when the time comes as its the natural culmination of our teacher/student relationship but at this time I can not out of respect for my instructor and those standards. At seems like we are both at a stand still. Due to the politics of the KM world anyone who is qualified to promote us probably wouldnt unless some sort of business affiliation was made which I think is lame. Recently Rickson Gracie promoted Jean Jaques machado to 6th degree black belt. They are not affiliated in any business capacity nor did any money change hands. he promoted him out of respect for another practicioner of the art who was qualified and over due for a promotion. Its a shame that respect doesnt exist in the KM world.
    Maybe its due to my punk rock pedigree but I have always valued integrity over pride,prestige and money. Maybe I’m the idiot for not self promoting and making more money. maybe I will be eating these words in a few years. When I opened my school my instructor told me” kevin, dont be afraid to make money”. Im not afraid of being rich. Im afraidd of being a fake.

pfworks

I do know that the place in Santa Clara is run by someone who has personally been certified by Eyal, aloing with several of the assistant instructors. The various certifications are also hanging on the wall. Disclaimer, I happen to be a student there, but I would recommend it, especially if you are in the area.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I’m not a school owner so I don’t really care about rank. Last time I took a KM test was hmm 07?

I hate belt politics when it’s all said and done I think it boils down to how well you know the material and what comes out of you on the mat.

I know theres an argument that the belts are a measure of accomplishment that you know the material etc I just don’t feel like I need to prove it to anyone.

If someone needs to question it I always just say sure lets hit the mat, grab a weapon and friends.

Years ago myself, Darren and Brent Ambrose spent 2 days with Moshe and some other instructors who were in town from Israel. We trained swapped techniques and basically just had a good time. At the end of it to our surprise Brent and I were given 1st dans in Kapop and Darren a 3rd.

It sits in a drawer.

Thats just me, I could be wrong.

revobuzz

I think grades become less clear the higher up you go. This applies to all martial arts.

It’s easy to see who is ready for their first belt in a class and who isn’t. It’s far less clear who should be a third dan.

I’m more interested in how long my teacher has been training and who with.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: