Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

Nice Post C, don’t loose that attitude, it will take you far. What the hell are you doing at a TKD dojang 😆 Just kidding. Gerson runs Gracie Barra outta A tkd dojang and that GM is suppose to be a handfull.
    Thanks for the vid, good stuff. I heard Clyde is in AZ carrying a gun 😆 and pissing off the kenpo world

NKA, we’re not bagging on you. Everyone on this board has worked out with someone who partnered poorly. Hell some of us may even be the bad partner. I’m sure its not me,of course.I’m betting its GK 😛 😆 Its part of the landscape. It ends up being a plus or a minus by your attitude about it.

My worse training expirience was with a girl who I out weighed by about 100 lbs. It was my 1st class at the school and in a while. Being older I decided to just go thru the motions and work on form. The girl took exception to me not throwing 100%. and kept rolling her eyes and badgering me that she could take all I could dish out. I tried to explain, what I was doing and that my w/o is about me,not her. Meaning I wasn’t patronizing her. She was really getting annoyed as was I.

Finally, she had it. Stormed up to the instructor(a friend of Mine) and bitched in front of the whole class 😳 The instructor asked me if I felt I could ratchet it up. I said yes sir, but we’re working on push kicks. She said to go for it. I hit the pad cleanly with a kick about 70%, luanched her across the room, backpedaling she crashed into a wall and seperated her shoulder. I learned a lesson that day. I train on my schedule, for me. Not anyone else, including an instructor. As for the girl, well she of course blamed me 🙄 😆

Your doing great if you’ve had only one bad training session so far. Don’t worry they’ll be more 😆

GK’s right about mixing up partners. All different sizes,shapes, sexes and attitudes

That w/o must’ve bugged you. Sitting home moping on a Saturday night 😛 Either that or your broke 😆

Thanks everybody for your replies. Especially unstapbl1 and GK.

I got it. I’ll just deal with each situation on an individual basis.

And worst case scenario, I’ll just kick someone into a wall like unstpabl1. 😀

Oh, and I was home on a saturday night because I was watching a tom green marathon. (or I was sick. You decide which one was the truth. hahaha)

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”NewKravAddict\:

. 😀

Oh, and I was home on a saturday night because I was watching a tom green marathon. (or I was sick. You decide which one was the truth. hahaha)

I’m betting on the Tom Green marathon, either that or because you have no friends other than me and I’m not about to be seen in public with a Tom Green fan 😉

mike

clfmak

Re: Venting, need advice

quote \”NewKravAddict\:

Yes, I’m staying in on a saturday, and yes, I’m on the board.

Ok, when i said \”look bad\” I didn’t mean it in the sense of say trying to \”look good\” like a sugar ray leonard. It was a wrong choice of words and people are taking it the wrong way.

I’ll use 360 defenses as an example. When in level 1, if the attacker doesn’t make large, slow, deliberate attacks, but makes small, fast one where the defender does not have time to 1. Make a knifehand 2. 90 degree bend at elbow 3. put weight into the defense and they end up just kind of slap defending, the attacker is making the defender (the student trying to learn) LOOK BAD.

This was the exact example used during a belt test, the highly respected instructor told the attackers to make the \”airplane\” arms and attack deliberately and with weight, so the person being graded could respond accordingly.

Now THAT is what I meant about \”looking bad\” aka not doing the defeinse correctly.

I have fallen on my fat ass in class so many times, \”looking good\” is not one of my priorities.

I understand what you’re saying. Some drills are for specific situations and partners sometimes aren’t feeding the right stimulus for the technique. But when life hands you lemons, make lemonade. The 360 defense should be workable against a tighter attack and you’ll likely use it in that manner, even though it may be harder. One time we were drilling submissions and we were working on setting up the arm bar. I had a partner that would resist like hell when I’d work the technique even though nobody else was really resisting. It made it difficult, but I got to work on a lot of technique details that make it work against resistance (or, transition to a bicep splitter or other submission off of an armbar attempt).

g-v

I paired up one time in class with a dude like that. We were practicing inside/outside defenses, and he was all like, don’t stand so close, slow down, wait, now you’re too far, speed up, hey you already threw that one, bitch bitch bitch.

giant-killer

Yeah, that’s another type of bad partner, someone who constantly blames you if he does something wrong. Now, if EVERYONE is complaining, then maybe it’s your fault, but if it’s just that one guy, could be that he has ego issues involved and needs someone else to blame for his mistakes. Actually, that type of partner can be more annoying than someone who has problems delivering his attacks \”correctly\”.

g-v

Sheeeeet, when I had a partner who sucked like that I was like, muaahahahahaha, I’m better at krav than you. 😆

My way of offering encouragement for improvement.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”G.V.\:

I paired up one time in class with a dude like that. We were practicing inside/outside defenses, and he was all like, don’t stand so close, slow down, wait, now you’re too far, speed up, hey you already threw that one, bitch bitch bitch.

Thats kinda typical, then they start coaching 😆

kravjeff

Admittedly, I didn’t read every word in every post, so at the risk of repeating, and apologies up front:

You can’t rely on \”good attacks\” to make \”good defenses\” … If you’re attacked on the street, it will likely be by someone not trained (though they may be a better \”fighter\” than you are – I’ve learned to assume that everyone is). Are you going to ask them to choke you differently?

Being able to defend the attack and take it to ’em is what’s important. Not that your techniques are clean (unless you’re testing of course). Being choked? clear the airway and kick a$$. Headlock? Smack the groin and take ’em down while kicking a$$. Gun aimed at your head? RCAT (again, a$$ kicking) !!! The beauty of KM is that it’s not about perfection – It’s about surviving; defending the immediate threat and going on the offensive simultaneously / immediately and aggressively. IMHO if you screw up a technique, but win the battle, you’ve accomplished the most important aspect of self defense. If you haven’t already, just wait until you’re fighting multiples. After a few minutes things can start getting sloppy due to exhaustion. As long as I’m alive at the end and the others are writhing in pain (in the training sense) I could care less what I looked like doing it – And I consider myself a perfectionist as well.

Incidentally – Partner being a knucklehead and won’t listen to reason? A couple of less than gentle love taps can go a long way … We all (or at least many of us) like working with certain individuals, but I can’t emphasize strongly enough how important it is to not rely on a single training partner.

$0.02

unstpabl1

Hey KJ 😀 been awhile

kravjeff

Hey!! PM on the way on WT!

kravjeff

😆 A classic!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: