Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Ways to improve Situational awareness

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tech94

We all spend hours on the mat, hitting pads, heavy bags, practicing defense against a variety of attacks. Most of us don’t focus on avoidance to the same degree. There are ways to avoid physical confrontation before it even gets to that point. Seeing something or someone that looks suspicious or just “not right” based on instinct can be a valuable asset. I have some ideas for improving situational awareness, but looking for any ideas or drills you guys may have used to address situational awareness

t-krav

Re: Ways to improve Situational awareness

Have you read or watched anything from Geoff Thompson? His approach to the spectrum of violence includes an escalating set of conditions kind of like:

Being Switched On
    Avoid – Survival tip #1
    Escape
    De-Escalate
    Loophole – give them a way out
    Posture – put up a fence
    Don’t be Physical
    If you have to be Physical – Be First and Be Ferocious

Here’s a few links for you
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9365 (a review of Geoff’s Fence tape from 2003)
    http://youtu.be/T6OJnZG3joA – 10 minute youtube clip of Geoff talking about The Fence

Let me know what you think, I’m curious on your feedback.

tech94

I’m a big fan of Geoff Thompson as well as Tony Blauer. Their fence and non violent postures are pretty similar in appearance as well as effectiveness

tech94

I’m a big fan of Geoff Thompson as well as Tony Blauer. Their concepts of “the fence” and Tonys non violent posture and SPEAR resemble each other in effectiveness and natural response. I love Blauers concepts in general, but especially his idea of detect, defuse, defend

resqr1

I take my son and nephew to the mall and we play a little tradecraft game. I will send them a text about what to look for…knives, suspicious bulges (printing) etc. they must take a picture of the items discreetly for proof. We set 2-3 RV points inside and outside the mall. When I’m ready for them to be finished I give them an abort code and an RV point. They love it!!! And you would not believe the other stuff they come up with.

The other day my son and I were at the grocery store. He nudges me and says, “PRINT”. Points to the guy and sure enough…bigger than life he was printing…

I felt bad that I missed it, but ever so proud that knowlege had been passed to my next generation.

tech94

quote resqr1:

I take my son and nephew to the mall and we play a little tradecraft game. I will send them a text about what to look for…knives, suspicious bulges (printing) etc. they must take a picture of the items discreetly for proof. We set 2-3 RV points inside and outside the mall. When I’m ready for them to be finished I give them an abort code and an RV point. They love it!

This is what I am talking about. These types of games that hone and sharpen situational awareness. I do something similar when I take my kids to the mall. My daughter is 4 and she thinks it’s fun to try to remember how many spaces from the door we parked, or what color shirt someone is wearing. Things along these lines. I figure never too young to be aware of surroundings. If she ever has to identify someone who touched her she may be more prepared.

kmyoshi

Tech94, I would love to hear what your ideas are for improving situational awareness. Resqr1, “games” sounds fun and something I wish I could have done at a young(er) age!

tech94

Basically as instated, I play games with the kids in public to help them become more aware of surroundings. Personally, I never wear headphones in public, always know where my exits are located and as a native New Yorker I have been engrained with the see something say something mentality. Looking for better ways to hone those skills and sharpen my everyday awareness. Guess it’s kind of a never ending process.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: