Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Weapon Recognition Drills

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    andre

In the interest of starting some good, cerebral discussions, what kind of weapon recognition drills do you do? If there is any done at all in your school. Or do you like them, or think they could be better. My opinion is that they are paramount to any system that is self-protection specific. A weapon, be it a improvised one, or not, can change the dynamic of any protection scenario, real or a drill.

anonymous

Not sure what you mean by \”weapon recognition drills\”. Do you mean recognizing another person drawing a weapon, or recognizing what common objects could be used in a fight?

andre

We have often talked about using improvised weapons, so I want to keep this in terms of recognizing a weapon, either before its drawn, or brandished, or when it’s still concealed.

anonymous

We sometimes do drills where one person closes his eyes and the other selects different weapons, then gives a verbal clue such as shouting \”Hey, you\” or the person’s name. The ‘victim’ will then open his or her eyes and the ‘attacker’ will attack with either knife, gun or stick, or just throw a punch without a weapon and the defender will have to recognize what kind of weapon it is, from which angle it is coming and which defense to do.

If you ared training in a lower level you might do that same exercise, but with fewer weapons (maybe just one weapon at a time).

We also sometimes do this kind of exercise with the lights turned off.

garddawg

Giantkiller,
    I like that one. Another one I like that we do starts with everyone in groups of three. Two people begin sparring. The group member who is not sparring will join the fight with a weapon, shoving a gun in someones face or attacking with a knife or club. It gets a little wild trying to avoid the punches while defending a gun, knife, or stick…but it is fun.

la-revancha

Sup, Dre!?

What do you think about fake blood (for any and all weapons training)? I actually asked about this right before the old forum was retired. There was a recent article about this in Black Belt, I think ( DO NOT turn this into KM vs. Jim Wagner!!).

Key points from the article included the paradigm shift trainees undergo when training with sticky, visceral fluids (keep it PG-rated!). He also suggested training with loud explosion and fake body extremities thrown across the floor.

Anyone out there training like this?

anonymous

I read that article in Black Belt. I thought it was a good idea. Messy but good.
    We have never used fake blood, but one time we got soap water and smeared it on our arms and then tried to do knife defenses. The soap water basically simulated slippery blood. It made it a lot harder to grab and control the opponents arm or hand.

Oh, and once in a while when we do knife fighting, we put lipstick on the plastic knives, so we can see where we would have been cut. Be sure to wear an old shirt when you try that one, you’ll never get that lipstick back out!

andre

Whats up Castigo?
    Training with fake blood…
    For me the jury is still out. For some people I could see it having a psychological impact, and definetly a physical impact in terms of being able to grab, clinch, or control. For some people, it would just be corn syrup with red dye #5.
    Though I certainly wouldn’t want anyone to hurt themselves just for more realistic training, I find that the best times are when you do actually bleed, and you have adrenaline flowing. I’m not talking about blood gushing from an artery, or dizziness from lack of blood. Just in general seeing your own blood come out of your body because of the actions of someone else can very much change the dynamic.
    This is good conversation so far, we should keep it going.

la-revancha

Is this cerebral enough for you, yet 😉 ?

In L.A., Brent, John, and Darren had us work gun a few times in the dark. Have you tried knife and stick in the dark?

Something I was thinking of trying out was bringing a big thick coat to class. The potential attacker would put the coat on and would spark converstation with defenders, with both hands in the coat pockets. Sometimes he would brandish knife, sometime gun, sometime nothing.

This is reminiscent of an incdident that occurred to me late one night at a metro subway stop, coincidentally the night before I went to participate in a knife seminar at KMPA.

anonymous

I think it might also be fun to go down to the garage at the KMNTC (or any other garage) and have one person walk alone. The other students are hidden and then suddenly jump out, one by one, from behind cars, walls etc brandishing different weapons, or sometimes they just walk past, posing no threat at all. Or they walk past first, then turn around and attack. All kinds of different scenarios.

That way you would have to recognize a threat in a realistic \”scary\” environment, where an actual attack could quite possibly take place.

And then add the fake blood and blown off limbs to that….. ‘:(‘

By the way, Revancha, was fuer ein Feuer?

andre

The coat Idea sounds good, especially with you guys living in the cold climates.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: