Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Well, it ain’t Krav Maga!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sicpuppy

In traditional karate, what is the meaning or difference between the white gi and the red top with black pants gi?

I just shot some video of a local black belt (red top/black pants gi) practicing with the three sticks connected by 2 short chains weapon… OMG!!!

Just what does it take to get a black belt these days? He was freaking terrible! I am only level 1 and *I* could do better!

And forget the fact he knows nothing about this weapon, his footwork was awful, his kicks were like Michael Jackson, balance was off, he was unsure of his next movement, and he couldn’t even catch the weapon as he swing it around his back…

This is a perfect example of why traditional martial arts black belts are useless on the street!

sicpuppy

Re: Well, it ain’t Krav Maga!

Seriously, what is the difference between the white gi and the red/black gi? Is there a meaning to this? I do not know…

kirsten

Well, I am not a Karate person, but I can say ALL systems these days seem to have issues with people achieving rank… where there is money, there is politics… No martial art or system is immune.

The uniforms for traditional styles have no real significance anymore… Its often just a matter of what suits that schools instructors. Not everyone wants to wear white pj’s everyday.

Lastly sounds like he was using a 3 section staff. Not really practical for today’s conceal carry… but whatever floats their boat. Some people enjoy the traditional martial arts for the history and tenants, weapons training, and culture. But from a self-defense perspective, yeah… pretty useless. But so are a great many reality based self defense instructors or students. It isn’t the system or style that matters any more than the person doing it. You can have the BEST system and the WORST instructor or you can have the BEST instructor and the WORST system… Meh… I would rather have the BEST instructor in the WORST system because self-defense is more than technique- it’s mindset.

I would however encourage anyone to get out of the thought that there is only one system or style and to dedicate some time in cross training. But try to choose something that will enhance your current training, not work against it.

shinfucius

My guess in the difference in gi colors is just personal preference. I doubt that the colored gi is a traditional uniform in traditional Karate (or it could be unique to their organization or school).

I would have to disagree with the statements that “traditional martial arts black belts are useless on the street” (well, maybe the actual “belt” itself, but it could still be used as tool…but I’m assuming SicPuppy was referringto actual holders of black belts) and “but from a self-defense perspective, yeah… pretty useless” (I’m assuming Kirsten was referring to the tri-sectional staff). I think this varies from person to person.

I have taken traditional martial arts and also do krav. But before I learned Krav and focused mainly on a traditional martial art, I was still fairly confident that I can defend myself on the street. I never learned the tri-sectional staff, but if I had one in my hand, I’m sure I can use it in a self defense application.

kirsten

This is why I tend to not be on this forum much anymore…

Look at what I wrote:

“Lastly sounds like he was using a 3 section staff. Not really practical for today’s conceal carry…”

Meaning, not practical for concealment and carry… Not a lot of folks want to walk down the street carrying a 3 section staff for self-defense.

Any weapon can be useful for self-defense. However choosing to carry a 3 section staff would not be practical from where I stand, at least in a life outside of the World of Warcraft.

shinfucius

I apologize…I misinterpreted the context.

quote Kirsten:

This is why I tend to not be on this forum much anymore…

Look at what I wrote:

“Lastly sounds like he was using a 3 section staff. Not really practical for today’s conceal carry…”

Meaning, not practical for concealment and carry… Not a lot of folks want to walk down the street carrying a 3 section staff for self-defense.

Any weapon can be useful for self-defense. However choosing to carry a 3 section staff would not be practical from where I stand, at least in a life outside of the World of Warcraft.

mara-jade

Kirsten,

Don’t stay away woman..you bring alot to this place. Hope you and Oneness are doing great:wav:

hm2pac

As an aside…..

It’s important to remember why/how traditional martial arts weapons came about being.

The tri-sectional staff is actually a farming implement used to thresh grain. If that’s the only thing the peasant was close to when it was time to fight, then that’s what the peasant used. Even in the most experienced hands those things are unwieldy, but they can be effective.

Just my $0.02.

sicpuppy

quote HM2PAC:

As an aside…..

It’s important to remember why/how traditional martial arts weapons came about being.

The tri-sectional staff is actually a farming implement used to thresh grain. If that’s the only thing the peasant was close to when it was time to fight, then that’s what the peasant used. Even in the most experienced hands those things are unwieldy, but they can be effective.

Just my $0.02.

I recognize he is new to this weapon. I was commenting on his obvious lack of other basic skills, and wearing a black belt!

I would post the video, if there was a place to post it… He is really horrible!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: