Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What Are The Main (Popular) KM Organizations and Core Differences

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kmman

It is not the intention of this thread to create a war on my org is better than yours but I am asking anyone with experience to share their knowledge here.

What are the main differences in either curriculum or philosophy between some of the more popular KM organizations? Some I know are KMWW, KMG, KM Security Federation, IKMF, KM Alliance. Im sure there are others.

Are these all simply organizations that were created when there was a break up of ex-partners or are there core differences?

My apologies as Im sure this was probably discussed previously but I’d like the theme here to be core fundamental differences in the actual Krav Maga or philosophical differences such as ranking, testing procedures etc.

Re: What Are The Main (Popular) KM Organizations and Core Differences

For a variety of reasons, I think the best way you can answer your own question (great question btw), would be to go to YouTube (you can Google as well, but I find the videos far more informative, on more than one level) and do the following searches:

Haim Zut
    Rhon Mizrachi
    Katrina Reynolds
    Krav Maga Federation
    KMF
    Avivit Cohen
    Chalacho Balai
    Dennis Hanover

Alan Feldman
    Kevin Mack
    Atlantic Krav Maga
    Philadelphia Krav Maga
    Krav Maga Nation

Haim Gidon
    David Kahn
    IKMA
    Retzev
    Avital Zeisler
    Rick Blitstein
    Miami Krav Maga

Avi Moyal
    Megan Kaddouch
    IKMF
    Eyal Yanilov
    Krav Maga Global
    KMG
    Alan Predolin
    Gabi Noah
    IKM
    Tsahi Shemesh
    Ts IKM

John Whitman
    Krav Maga Alliance
    KMA
    Donavin Britt
    Las Vegas Krav Maga

Darren Levine
    Kelly Campbell
    Jarret Waldman
    Amir Perets
    Sam Sade
    Krav Maga Worldwide
    KMWW
    KravCam
    Krav Maga The Best Defense

Roy Elghanyan
    Roy’s Krav Maga
    Krav Maga LA
    Krav Maga Melbourne
    Israeli Jiu-Jitsu
    Mati Elyashiv

Kobi Lichtenstein
    Master Kobi
    Mestre Kobi
    FSAKM
    Krav Maga Brasil
    Krav Maga Rio

Richard Douieb
    FEKM
    Krav Maga Europe
    Krav Maga France

Nir Maman
    Boaz Aviram
    Rachel Shir IDF
    Learn How To Defend Yourself IDF Style

Itay Gil
    Krav Maga Protect
    Sharir Richman
    Krav Maga ICCS

Eli Avikzar
    Yehuda Avikzar
    Ron Rotem
    Krav Magen
    KAMI

Imi Lichtenfeld

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Damn nice list!

And FWIW my youtube channels doing pretty good

Videos: 34Created: Sep 1, 2007Lifetime views: 15,530,962
    kmman

Yea, that is some list Metta. Can you tell me what lineage K Security Federation might fall under (Alain Cohen)?

I will begin my research on the others.

Just looking for the history of it all. Thanks!

Thanks guys! I honestly don’t know that much about this whole lineage topic (at least compared to many people who post on this forum, some of whom are on my list), it’s more just I have the combination of a huge interest and general understanding of who belongs with who, and how what they do usually looks. (One thing I do know about most Krav Maga branches, they all seem to enjoy really bad techno music, as evidenced by the fact that they feel compelled to use it in like EVERY DAMN VIDEO!)

As for Alain Cohen, have watched a couple things on YouTube and done a page or two of Google research. Suffice to say, it wasn’t enough for me (being a relative newbie to this world) to know how to accurately classify him or his group.

@CJ
    ’s Dad:

Just re-read your response more carefully. Couple things.

1. That’s a crazy amount of views! Way to go! I love the KravCam vids and would certainly watch if you made more of them.

2. I met/got together with my girlfriend Sept. 1st 2007. (And we’re still together to this day, much to her eternal chagrin…)

I know the second thing’s kind of weird and off-topic, just wanted to share.

stuartf

quote KMMAN:

Yea, that is some list Metta. Can you tell me what lineage K Security Federation might fall under (Alain Cohen)?

I will begin my research on the others.

Just looking for the history of it all. Thanks!

There’s a thread about Alain Cohen over here: https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2819

Looks like he got a first or second degree black belt from a legit org and then awarded himself a 9th degree :rolleyes: and went off on his own.

lions2011

IT seems there are dozens of KRav Organizations and they all appear to be getting far different from each other as the years go bye.
    KMWW is the biggest in the USA. In Israel they have IKMA and the biggest in Europe is IKMF
    Plus their are dozens of newer smaller ones like Krav Global and others. Very hard to figure out
    I wish all these various Krav leaders could get together at some Giant world body and agree to make all the krav styles more integrated.

lions2011

Seems that Krav MAga is becoming as generic as Kung Fu or Karate.

kevinmack

Its not to hard to figure out once you know the family tree. The cliff note version is as follows and forgive the bad typing as I have a 3 week old baby asleep in my armpit.

In the begining was the Krav Maga Association(Agudah) founded by Imi and his top students. This existed only in Israel till 1981. Then the first American instructors(Darren Levine,Alan Feldman and Rick Blitstein) were trained and they taught under the authority of the Agudah and the new American Association of Krav Maga but that fizzled out pretty quickly.By the early 90s Rick and Alan were no loinger teaching full time and Darren started KMW.The first break off from KMW was John Whitmans KM Alliance. Now you have a few other spin offs founded by KMW black belts such as Ryan Hoovers FTF,Vanguard Krav Maga and Sam Sades Alpha Krav Maga.All do things in a similar was KMW.

Back to Israel…..

By the late 80s the Agudah was starting to fall apart as many of the instructors had problems with working together(nice way to put it). The first to leave due to this was Imi’s top student Eli Avikzar who started the Krav Magen Association(K.A.M.I.). A few years later Haim Zut split off and started his organization. Both of these instructors had the largest number of students in the association and most of them followed their teachers. These two organizations are the largest Krav Maga groups in Israel today. the next to leave was Eyal Yanilov,Avi Moyal,Gabi Noah,Eli Ben Ami and a bunch of their students. They started the IKMF and set out to spread Krav Maga around the world. Up until around the early 2000’s KMW and Eyal had an agreement to work together with KMW sticking to the US and the IKMF working internationally.That agreement fell apart a few years ago. The IKMF recently split with Avi Moyal keeping the name and many of the Israeli instructors. Eyal starting KMG(krav maga global) and Gabi Noah starting IKM with Eli Ben Ami joining him a few months later. Haim Gidon and his students maintained the Krav Maga Associations name and trademarks which is commonly refered to as the IKMA with David Kahn as its representative in the United States.
    Thats basically it with a few wild cards such as Kobi Lichtenstein moving to Brazil in the late 80’s/early 90s and starting the South American Krav Maga Association(?). Your also have Richard Douieb who started teaching in France in the 1980s. All of these instructors received their black belts from either Imi or Eli Avikzar.
    Rhon Mizrachi in NYC is Haim Zuts student. I am in Philadelphia and I am a 12yr student of Alan Feldmans and received my black belt from him a few years ago.
    I might be forgetting a few unattached instructors but those are your basic,legit Krav Maga organizations. By legit I mean teaching the Krav Maga that we all recognize as Imi’s creation with of course some organization differences.

rakzo

What about Avi Abeceedon, nobody mentions him, maybe because he has only teached in Israel, until 2 years ago…
    he is the head instructor of KAMI and for a period of 15 years, Avi Avisadon acted as Deputy to the Founder Eli Avikzar, and after his death in 2004 was appointed Head of the Organization.

Avi has been active in the profession of “Krav Maga” and “Krav Magen” for over 40 years.
    Up to Rank of Dan 4, he received from the founder of Krav Maga “Imi” Lichtenfeld and his instructor Eli Avikzar. His 5th Dan to 7th Dan was received from the Founder Eli Avikzar.

Avi hold the following Diplomas from the Wingate Institute:
    · “Krav Maga” Instructor from the Wingate School of Coaches
    · “Coach in Martial Arts” from the Wingate School of Coaches
    · “Senior Teacher in Martial Arts” from the School of the Academic College at Wingate.

i think he teaches the original Krav as Imi envisioned it, correct me if im wrong but i think he has most schools in Israel contrary to other IMI students who have their schools world wide.. any coments??:dunno:

acjoslin

Nice list. I didn’t realize there were so many.

Anonymous

quote stuartf:

There’s a thread about Alain Cohen over here: https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2819

Looks like he got a first or second degree black belt from a legit org and then awarded himself a 9th degree :rolleyes: and went off on his own.

It was really very amazing thread i have ever read. Thanks for sharing.

tko99

I’d also add Krav Maga Unyted to the list. Jarret Waldman came out of KMWW. Former GM of KMWW’s S.O. and WLA NTCs. He developed his own market in downtown LA.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: