Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What did you do in Krav Maga class today?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    vinman

Re: What did you do in Krav Maga class today?

This is a great thread !! thumbsup

I often wonder what drills other schools are doing to get some new ideas, and incorporate them

I will post tomorrow after my class and let you guys know what were doing

vinman

Tuesdays class started out with some agility ladder as a warmup, followed by the drill where you punch the tombstone pad at all out speed while a few other guys try to prevent you from hitting the pad by grabbing, pulling, tackling (lol)…a real good drill

Also, we worked roundhouse kicks on the heavy bags (always can use more kicking drills) before we went to gun from the side and rear techniques

tvayumat

Today was my second KM class. We did groundwork, front kick, side kick, round kick from the ground. Then we did drills starting from the ground with a kick to the front, getting up, standing front kick, followed by a choke from behind. Holy hell am I tired.

mgothers

In Level one we reviewed some basic cross jab and front kick and then incorporated that to knife defense (after controlling the knife).
    But a great quote from our head instructor Pete G. “If his knees had testicals I’d kick him there”

kmyoshi

Yesterday we did a lot of shadow boxing, knees with hands to shoulder/arm, learning how to move to the side of an incoming attacker (foot work), choke defense from the front both with a push and without.

sicpuppy

Today we did a heck of alot of running and stuff… but then we did alot of straight defense high and low (boy my legs were like rubber by the end… lol)

I have a lot of trouble with the straight defense low- I keep wanting to do a 360 defense instead of lowering and blocking with the elbow. Gotta break that habit I think.

Then we did headlock from the side.

At the end of class we had a treat- a bit of gun defense to wet our appetites.

I don’t think our instructor has ever done a one hour class with us- it is always at least 1 hr 20 min to an hour an a half. Today, class was over 2 hours long… GREAT!!!

Then when we came home, we did a little more at home- a bit of set #1 and part of set #2, then a bit of pad work.

kmyoshi

That is great. I always try to do at least 2 classes back to back. If only the classes were longer. At my location, they only go over by 5 minutes if we are lucky.

What I did at my last class (Thursday) 1-7 elbows, choke from behind defense, and hammer fist.

kmyoshi

Is the new curriculum system at every KMWW affiliated locations as well? The new system (at least for the NTC) is they have a set lesson plan for the day i.e: Level 1 will do <fill in> level 2 will do <fill in>, level 3 … etc. etc. I unfortunately don’t have time to go every single day although I wish I could but this is both a good and bad because I usually do at least 2 to 4 classes whenever I go (3 times a week). It’s good because I get more time to learn what is being taught instead of just an hour, but at the same time if I go every week on the same day, I feel like I’m only learning those same techniques. I need to ask to see if it’s a set curriculum for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc. or do they mix it up.

d-f

Some heel strikes and hammerfists, but mainly:

Choke from the side, choke from the front.

I saw that this was really all that was planned for today on the KMWW website (btw, whoever thought of posting daily curriculum, great idea):

http://kmwtrainingcenters.com/2011/11/27/krav-maga-curriculum-monday-112811/

And I thought it was kind of weird–usually there’s a lot more variety in the coverage. But actually it turned out to be awesome, because it gave me a chance to work on the same basic technique, with a few variations, over and over again and improve it, at least incrementally, instead of rushing through lots of techniques and not really focusing in on any of them. I actually always thought my plucks, well, sucked, and after today I think they suck a little less because I was able to do choke defenses about 30 times and refine the little details that I’d been screwing up for quite a while.

(It also helped that it was just me and one other student in the early-as-hell class class. The suckiness of getting up at 5.30am to hoof it across the LA area to get to an underpopulated 7am class is well worth the individualized attention you get.)

Anyway, if any instructors are reading, one possible take-away is that at level 1 at least it may be better to focus on one technique for longer rather than running through many different techniques in the same class. Quality >> quantity and all that.

dcr67

Tuesday’s class was my 3rd in Level 1 and after warmp up we spent a lot of time working on jab/cross with mitts, both stationary and moving backwards/forwards. My first time hitting mitts, which turn out to be harder than just wailing away on a tombstone. I’m a southpaw which confused my partner (and me too) a bit. We took a 5min break to cycle through pushups/crunches/squats/up downs, before getting on the mitts again.

We ended the class working off of our backs (again a first for me). First we practiced learning how to replicate the fighting stance while on our backs and moving to keep the attacker in front of us. Ended with a drill where we had to defend/move and keep our partner from touching our head. Loser had to do 15burpees after the time was up, so good incentive not to lose.

sonnymate

We did a fitness class before our krav class ( I couldn’t stay for krav)
    Skipping warm-up
    skipping then bodyweight drill (push ups squats burpees)back to skipping etc
    30 secs kettlebell 30 secs star jumps (jumping jacks) for 10 mins.
    kettlebell pulls/raises/turns mixed with diamond push ups/lunges then 100 fast skips
    lie in pool of sweat
    stretching
    nosh
    home
    bed

revobuzz

I had one of those classes that for reasons I can’t put my finger on was just great. There was loads of focus mitt punching work, jabs, hooks crosses, hammer fist – Just really good session – I was fully “In the zone”.

Gonna ache tomorrow though…..

carl

we learned to use our Qi to balance on a metal spike, followed by 20 mins of throwing a needle through glass, then we cooled down with.. just kidding. after some shadow boxing, pressups and stretching, we did slow fighting, right punch only at first, then both arms, then incorporating legs. After that we started our full on sparring session, with pads as obstacles on the ground – quite tough to stay aware of what’s on the floor when you’re getting hit. Followed by one-two punch, roundhouse kick drills on the thai pads; tip: careful not to let their leg hit your arm, you will have a lump.. Rounded off with more sparring in a confined space about 1.5m squared, getting pushed back in by two guys on the outside. Great class, can’t wait till next week

toddunn

What kind of push ups, etc…should I expect when I start Krav Maga? Just about to start in Salt Lake City

petervdberge

I should have gone to krav maga today, but the highway leading there is shutdown 🙁 DAMN IM PISSED!!! lukily i have a boxingbag, which im going to be hitting in a couple of minutes 🙂 gotta do something, right? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: