Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics what do you like in a KM class??

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    psyops

Re: what do you like in a KM class??

Mr. Cook,

I appreciate your point of view!

munster

quote Jeremy Stafford:

A couple of things here……If you have the chance, you should check out Seans Fight class at 6:45 on Thursdays, he incorporates all of the things you’re talking about here. I don’t think too many other fight classes force you to remember entrances and exits as you’re being pummeled! It’s top notch training.
    The thing about teaching Stick and Knife (as well as gun!) early is this, THEY BUILD ON THE BASICS THAT ARE TAUGHT IN THE LEVEL 1 AND 2 CURRICULUM!!!!!!! Why on earth should I waste a students time teaching them a weapons defense that relies on good bursts and strikes, when they do not yet have a good burst or strike! Basic weapons defenses should be introduced early in training to provide good context as to specific building block techniques (i/e bursting, strong 360’s, etc), and also to provide some good motivation, but to concentrate on these techniques early in a students training could negatively impact a students basic development (especially as most students are lucky to be able to train twice a week). If we were dealing with full training days over a period of a couple of weeks, it would be much easier to teach the Weapons stuff early, it’s just not feasable at 2 hours a week. Just my opinion though, and you know what they say about those……

You do have a good point Jeremy, but shouldnt you be working defenses against guns, knifes, and blunt objects? I mean dealing with danger, in general. I mean afterall isnt that the purpose of learning self defense? Its alittle hard “to walk in peace” when some have been a krav class for 6 months, but they cant make it home cause I was cornered with a man and a baseball bat and have no clue what to do cause its a level 2 or 3 thing? I mean if your students are pretty good at picking up on stuff why not teach them. Yes some may come twice a week but better to have something up your sleeve then nothing. The system is simple and effective you should be able to teach them these techniques in the hour you have to work with em (I guess depending on class size) they wont master it in that time, but it may be for one of them some lesson learned that may save their life one night. Just a thought….

mara-jade

It may depend what other offerings a school has but the KM curriculum in general doesn’t start weapons until Level 4. My school does have an Intro Weapons class where if you’ve tested and passed Level 1 you can take. Right there you’re expected to have basics under the belt, not just jump into it. In our class, if anyone new comes in they’re asked their experience level. If the person doesn’t qualify, they’re asked to leave. Maybe it’s just me but KM can save your life in general – weapons is only one part of it.

In a weapons class, I don’t think that’s the time the instructor should be teaching elbows, knee strikes, etc.

trish

quote Munster:

You do have a good point Jeremy, but shouldnt you be working defenses against guns, knifes, and blunt objects? I mean dealing with danger, in general. I mean afterall isnt that the purpose of learning self defense? Its alittle hard “to walk in peace” when some have been a krav class for 6 months, but they cant make it home cause I was cornered with a man and a baseball bat and have no clue what to do cause its a level 2 or 3 thing?

I hear what youíre saying, but I have to disagree with you. The curriculum for each level is what it is because it was developed with specific purposes in mind. Itís imperative for us to learn the basics first so that we have a solid foundation on which to ad advanced techniques such as weapons defenses. I think it would be a disservice to students to teach them advanced techniques without first teaching them the basics. Students need to learn how to crawl before they walk and how to walk before they run. Teaching them to run first would just be irresponsible.

quote Munster:

I mean if your students are pretty good at picking up on stuff why not teach them. Yes some may come twice a week but better to have something up your sleeve then nothing. The system is simple and effective you should be able to teach them these techniques in the hour you have to work with em (I guess depending on class size) they wont master it in that time, but it may be for one of them some lesson learned that may save their life one night. Just a thought….

An hour a couple of times a week is not enough time to teach advanced techniques on top of the basics. And please keep in mind that not everyone progresses at the same pace, another reason why there is a set curriculum. Those who pick things up quickly and have a natural ability can move through the curriculum faster than their less inclined counterparts. Thatís why they have the opportunity to test up to the next level and learn the more advanced techniques as defined by that levelís curriculum. A new level 1 student would most probably be overwhelmed if he/she was introduced to weapons defenses before learning how to burst in and out. Just my opinion though.

mara-jade

Right on Trish – that’s probably why the KM book states it takes (assuming minimum twice a week), I believe it’s a year to train for Level 4. Like you said, one’s mileage may vary on that :):

pbj

honestly, i feel its the instructors that keep you coming back.
    If you don’t have a “high-key” instructor that knows how to keep the class going at a good pace, or make a challenging drill, then your experience will be less interesting and you won’t be as dedicated to come for another class.

Anyone certified to teach krav can be an instructor… but it takes a motivated high energy instructor who can give great feedback to lead a great class.

quote Munster:

You do have a good point Jeremy, but shouldnt you be working defenses against guns, knifes, and blunt objects? I mean dealing with danger, in general. I mean afterall isnt that the purpose of learning self defense? Its alittle hard “to walk in peace” when some have been a krav class for 6 months, but they cant make it home cause I was cornered with a man and a baseball bat and have no clue what to do cause its a level 2 or 3 thing? I mean if your students are pretty good at picking up on stuff why not teach them. Yes some may come twice a week but better to have something up your sleeve then nothing. The system is simple and effective you should be able to teach them these techniques in the hour you have to work with em (I guess depending on class size) they wont master it in that time, but it may be for one of them some lesson learned that may save their life one night. Just a thought….

Hey Paul, hope the Zoomies are treating you well. By level two, most students should be proficient enough in their fundamentals to pick up quickly on weapons stuff. That being said, it comes down to a matter of prioritization. There is only a certain amount of time to teach a vast number of defenses. The system is set up so that the more common attacks are presented earlier than the less common attacks. Even in the worst cities in the US, you are more likely to face an empty handed threat than a threat with a weapon. I personally like the idea of a stand alone weapons class open to level 2 and above as a way to augment the students regular training time, and I will be adding one this Summer. But enough of this, you’ve been taking Krav for years, and I’ll bet a paycheck that you’re still useless.:box:

munster

LOL well the AF is treating me well No sleep for days and getting paid to workout and be cold wet and miserable for days absolutely love it. And thats pretty cool that your going to implement those classes for your school. As for the empty hand confrontations most cases where I had confrontations (all in which I or a my friend had to use verbal judo so I didnt get ugly for both sides) there were bats, knives, and crow bars present and I’m sure the gun was somewhere in there. People would be amazed at what kids carry on them nowadays so I wouldnt say most confrontations are going to be without weapons especially considering nowadays how much crime isnt reported in certain areas. But because I was exposed (thanks to my outstanding instructors) a variety of defensive techniques dealing with weapons, if it did turn violent I had an idea of what to do to get my friends and I out of it and E&E. Oh and btw trish sometimes people are very unlucky and have no choice but to run. However I do believe in karma and that last thing for me will be violence. So Jeremy how much money will I be getting from your paycheck? I am just a E-3 so little extra dough this month would be kinda cool especially for my bar tab. lol

Well, your experiences as a thug on the mean streets of Chatsworth are a little different than the norm. (Note to forum readers, this is sarcasm). Unarmed conflicts still vastly outnumber armed ones in the City of Los Angeles. Even in the rougher parts. E3? Jesus, not only do the Zoomies give you all sorts of meaningless trinkets for your uniform, they also promote like it’s going out of style……At this pace you’ll be a General before the war is over! Stay safe, and good luck.

P.S. You’ll always be worthless to me! Send me your contact info and I’ll hook you up with good gear when you actually deploy.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

“The mean streets of Chatsworth” I almost spit out my coffee. Those Saturday night cruises into Northridge Porter Ranch can get hairball.

rfc

quote Kevin Mack:

and what kepy you coming back after the first class?
    techniques?
    drills?
    self defense?
    fighting?
    fitness?
    all of the above?
    more or less of which?

I’ve never before taken a self-defense or martial arts class and just finished my 3rd KM class this morning. On the first class, I was 120% into it and my (stranger) partner and I were collapsing against each other just to keep standing. At the end, the serene feeling of supreme exhaustion called to me… -And I knew I’d be coming back.

Techniques: Looking forward to the day when the moves become second-nature. Also looking forward to when I can perform the moves with concentrated power.

Drills: Love the 30 second drills. Those last 10 seconds are a doozie. I hear there are 45 second drills -Woah, that’ll be an experience.

Self-Defense: You bet. Having lived in the heart of Chicago for the 1st 39 years of my life, I couldn’t tell you how many times, while riding public transportation (and other, innumerable circumstances), was a sitting duck. For the past 10 years, my time is spent in/near/around Washington DC, Baltimore and Annapolis. -Plenty of opportunity for bad things to happen. As I get older, I just don’t like that “sitting-duck” feeling. Conversely, if/when the day comes that I’m proficient in KM, I’ll do everthing possible to avoid a fight -knowing well that any kind of a real fight is a dangerous event; as evidenced by the realism of KM training. (PS: I’m not naive. I grew up where the Latin Kings, Insane Knights, 12th St Players, The Lords, a half-dozen misc. Greaser gangs and vestiges of Organized Crime controlled the cops. I was smart enough to walk between their paths -and not on them. FYI: I much preferred the “organized crime” back then as opposed to today’s “disorganized crime”).

Fighting: No, not for me. This might be a controversial statement here but, fighting for sport is not for me. Fighting for any reason other than saving yourself (or someone who justifiably needs help) from bodily harm, is the only reason I would fight.

Fittness: You bet. On and off, I’ve been jogging and “recreational” weight-lifting for decades. The dynamic aspect of KM turned me into a hurt’n unit. -And I like a good dose of genuine pain once in a while. It makes me feel alive and grounded. (Don’t get me wrong, I reach for the Ibuprophen when the need really arises).

Other Things:

–I was concerned there was going to be a bunch of rock-heads at the class. Much to my delight, it was filled with level-headed folks who, just like me, pull their pants on one leg at a time. Likewise, the instructors are “quality people”.

–The KM facility is 10 minutes from my office and 20 minutes from my house. Can’t beat that with a stick.

–It’s kinda dangerous and I have a propensity to that :dunno:.

… Good thread.

RFC (aka: Ray)

mdedwards

I like a partner that will push you and push you hard. It’s so easy to get into a rhythm when you do drills together and not really make each other develop speed, technique and power under more stressful conditions.

sticman

quote RFC:

–I was concerned there was going to be a bunch of rock-heads at the class. Much to my delight, it was filled with level-headed folks who, just like me, pull their pants on one leg at a time. Likewise, the instructors are “quality people”.

RFC (aka: Ray)

This was one of my concerns as well, seeing as how big fighting is getting in the media now.

When I asked my instructors about this on my first day, they assured me that they take anyone who’s trying to be a tough guy aside and talk with them and straighten them out, or tear up their contracts and tell them they are not welcome anymore if they don’t.

I like getting worn out and beat up in safe friendly environment 🙂

satilan

quote RFC:

Fighting: No, not for me. This might be a controversial statement here but, fighting for sport is not for me. Fighting for any reason other than saving yourself (or someone who justifiably needs help) from bodily harm, is the only reason I would fight.

Wouldn’t some fighting (e.g. sparring) help you save your life by providing you w/the most realistic opportunity to test yourself while in a good, safe environment?

I don’t understand the difference b/n training in self defense and fighting.
    Aren’t they supposed to be one and the same? I don’t understand this way of thought: “I will study Krav Maga for self defense, but I’ll never-ever spar or fight with a partner, b/c <complete the blank>”

I might be just plain stupid, who knows?

munster

quote Jeremy Stafford:

Well, your experiences as a thug on the mean streets of Chatsworth are a little different than the norm. (Note to forum readers, this is sarcasm). Unarmed conflicts still vastly outnumber armed ones in the City of Los Angeles. Even in the rougher parts. E3? Jesus, not only do the Zoomies give you all sorts of meaningless trinkets for your uniform, they also promote like it’s going out of style……At this pace you’ll be a General before the war is over! Stay safe, and good luck.

P.S. You’ll always be worthless to me! Send me your contact info and I’ll hook you up with good gear when you actually deploy.

LOL your comedy man lol and no most those confrontations were actually at parties in NH pacoma and the last one was Hollyweird which did invovled bats and knives since they didnt outnumber us to begin with so we escape and evaded didnt need any bad karma with that situation (“running to peace” to call it) . So much for chill night and thats why I hate hollywood. And dude E3 man Ive been in over a year now **** my friends in the marines are already up for corporal lol you wanna talk about fast promotions, but i guess some people have to pull out the knee pads. lol And hey if I was general this war would be totally over ROE would be changed and far more “bombs” would be invovled. lol So Jeremy are you gonna drop by chatsworth on mon and show some love …..or do you need to wait till the next time Im on leave to get the sand out of your vagina? MUHAHAHAHAHAH 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: