Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge What marital art would you like to learn?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    seraphs-coal

Outside of Krav and if you had the time, what Martial Art would you like most to learn and why?

kmman

Re: What marital art would you like to learn?

Jeet Kune Do, Judo, BJJ

Jeet Kune do because it is supposed to be effective. Probably would not add anything to KM.

Judo because it is proven as is BJJ.

I’d also like to finish what I started in Shotokan, if for no other reason because it’s really cool and the people have no ego where I trained. There was a total dedication to the art. Yes, it was ritualistic, but still cool.

lions2011

I am studying Muay thai and need another 2 good yrs to get better.

Maybe in 2 yrs, I want to learn some basic BJJ only !!! BJJ is great because it teaches you how to fight off your back. This is most likely where you will end up against a good Judo or Wrestler.

I do not like Judo at all. I know it is great but I am just not made to be tossed around and thrown like rag doll. I have that tall and skinny built. Many Judo guys seems short and extremely stocky. Plus Judo has the most injuries of any Martial art from what I read.

kmyoshi

Muay Thai and BJJ or SAMBO.

BJJ I’m sort of taking but I only take about 2-3 classes a week as compared to the 3-4 Krav classes a week. The fight program is more or less kickboxing/MMA than straight up Muay Thai (which training regimen I’m not too sure about but I’m sure there is a ton of conditioning/pad work similar to what Krav does).

This may come as a surprise. I would like to learn the sport of fencing. There is something about moving gracefully with exquisite precision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_arts_timeline

lions2011

Sambo is an uique system and very hard to find. Unless you live near a Russian population like NYC or LA.

Sambo is loaded with dangeous throws like Judo plus it has hundreds of crazy leg locks!!!

Sounds dangerous!!!

Funny that chokes are illegal in Sambo.

Very different than your BJJ.

catapult

The first thing you learn in judo is how to fall without hurting yourself. I did some judo in college and never got hurt except for one time when a guy kicked me in the calf trying to do a sweep — sore for a couple of days, no big deal.

HapKiDo, or Nagasu Do

Working on Brown Belt in kajukenbo, hopefully test in about 3 months. This style is brutal.

wds2

Muay Thai and BJJ. Only thing stopping me from training BJJ is lack of time; it’s taught where I train KM.

Used to train in wing chun kung fu. It’s the basis for JKD and there are several similar moves and practices in KM. But wing chun as a whole is a waste of time, in my opinion.

The Japanese martial arts and the various Chinese martial arts.

splatcat

I’ve always had a lot of respect for Muay Thai, so I actually dropped a few bucks for a used copy of this DVD set, in large part so that I could compare the way that KM approaches things with the way that Muay Thai approaches them (seems fairly comparable so far…):

http://www.amazon.com/Muay-Thai-Master-Saekson-DVD/dp/B00066N9Y2/

Aside from Muay Thai, I remember seeing a video where this short little fat Russian dude was doing some RIDICULOUS, CRAZY, SILLY-A$$ED defenses with these “floppy” little half-a$$ed punches against various attacks, but somehow, it all seemed to work…! :Unsure: I was pretty skeptical, but I’ve gotta admit, it made an impression on me, so I looked into it a little further. Turns out, it’s an actual style, albeit a really “niche” or “fringe” style. The video is here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKfW2R6x_E

And ever since then, I’ve gotta admit, I’ve been REALLY intrigued by the Russian ‘Systema’ art. I’d LOVE to find a weekend seminar that I could check out, just to see for myself if it has any validity… :dunno:

splatcat

Oh – and since the ACTUAL title of this thread is “What marital art would you like to learn?” – errrr… Whatever “marital art” is useful for keeping my wife from griping at me…!! :D:

(Sorry – I’ve been told that I was a smart-@$$ even as a kid, & by now I’ve LONG since given up any hope that I’d grow out of it…) ;):

splatcat

quote SplatCat:

I’ve always had a lot of respect for Muay Thai, so I actually dropped a few bucks for a used copy of this DVD set, in large part so that I could compare the way that KM approaches things with the way that Muay Thai approaches them (seems fairly comparable so far…):

http://www.amazon.com/Muay-Thai-Master-Saekson-DVD/dp/B00066N9Y2/

Aside from Muay Thai, I remember seeing a video where this short little fat Russian dude was doing some RIDICULOUS, CRAZY, SILLY-A$$ED defenses with these “floppy” little half-a$$ed punches against various attacks, but somehow, it all seemed to work…! :Unsure: I was pretty skeptical, but I’ve gotta admit, it made an impression on me, so I looked into it a little further. Turns out, it’s an actual style, albeit a really “niche” or “fringe” style. The video is here…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKfW2R6x_E

And ever since then, I’ve gotta admit, I’ve been REALLY intrigued by the Russian ‘Systema’ art. I’d LOVE to find a weekend seminar that I could check out, just to see for myself if it has any validity… :dunno:

Another quick video link, this one from Black Belt magazine – for whatever that’s worth…

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/daily/self-defense-training/systema/systema-ballistic-strikes-in-action/

Like I’ve said – I honestly don’t know if Systema has any real validity to it – but MAN, I am really intrigued by it!!

Hey Splat

There is a group of Systema instructors in Canada that do some crazy hell week conference every spring. Supposed to be good stuff.

Otto

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: