Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics What should i look for?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    moller18

Hello! I was stabbed badly last year, and then last week me and my girlfriend, were attacked by three boys, where i got my ass kicked, so now i wanna learn to defend myself, when talking and running aint an option. My first thought was MMA, because here in Denmark most gym is mostly ” commercial ” if you know what i mean. But now before i gonna start to mma, i wanna try finding a good krav maga gym, but what should i look for, so i can find a real israeli style gym?

And does you learn boxing in krav maga?

moller18

bump

kmyoshi

Hi Moller,

Sorry to hear that you were stabbed and attacked just recently. MMA is a great base as it deals with both stand up striking as well as ground fighting and can make you a force to be reckoned with if you are proficient in it. Unfortunately since MMA is geared towards competition, it does not include any weapon defenses, or dealing with multiple threats/attackers. A good Krav gym will incorporate a good warm up to get your heart rate up, and then working techniques (Level 1 starts with the fundamentals of Krav such as fighting stance, movement, how to punch, elbows, defense against headlocks, wrist release, chokes, etc.) with a drill at the end of class where you can incorporate the techniques you just learned in a controlled but elevated stress environment. The stress inducers could include but are not limited to closing your eyes before getting attacked and having to defend, closing your eyes + spinning in circles and then getting attacked and having to defend, or if it is night time, dim lights for poor visibility, etc. etc.. Sparring should also be a regular part of the Krav curriculum, or at least have a dedicated fight class for sparring.

A lot of the basic strikes in Krav are taken from Boxing and Muay Thai but there are subtle variations with the technique. I hope that you are able to find a great gym near you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: