Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Who here’s had their knee scoped?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    maskedkat

I’ve been laying low and barely even lurking these days because I have been out of KM since mid-December. I wound up having to have knee surgery, and am now going into my 3rd week of PT.

Just a curiosity question, not asking medical advice here… but I figure this has to be fairly common around here and want to know what other people’s rehab experience was like. Specifically, how long did it take to get back to KM, and how difficult was that?

At this point, walking normally is still a challenge and there are times I get pretty discouraged about getting back to fighting shape. Encouragement needed, please!!

Thanks for indulging my whining.

jburtonpdx

Wow, happy that you are making the correct choice and taking care of yourself. That said, I feel for you. I hate it when I am sidelined for even a single class…

You will be ok, you will make it through this. Eventually you will be back at it like you never missed a beat.

progress

Wow Kat, what all did you have done?? I had surgery Thursday. My doc claims in 6-8 weeks I can start training. Painful procedure I am putting it down but doing alot of whining to my wife!! I am looking forward to using my kettlebell to help rehab.

Keep your chin up.

maskedkat

Thanks, guys. Progress, I just had arthroscopy. The delay was getting it diagnosed – which actually didn’t happen until the surgery! I was having all the symptoms of meniscal tear, but a negative MRI. So… the doc opted to have me \”rest\” and do anti-inflammatories for a month, and when it still wasn’t better, tried a cortisone shot. Still not better, so he decided to do the surgery. By this time, it’s 8 weeks or so from the original injury, and I had to wait a few weeks more til the actual surgery date. It turned out to be plica syndrome (which I’d never heard of) and the surgery should be a fix.

The problem with walking is mainly with the stiffness… but going for so long with this problem, I developed a \”hitch\” to compensate. My right hip has been killing me!

I told you I was whining… PT went really well this morning. I’m pretty impatient. It’s great walking on the treadmill and all, but I want to be running suicides and throwing elbows ‘n stuff.

So, Progress… what happened to you?

garddawg

I had my knee scoped a few years ago. I gave the doc the third degree about what would hurt the knee after surgery and what wouldn’t. My doc said that I could do anything unweighted that I could tolerate that didn’t involve pounding. Running was out for 8 weeks, as was weighted squats and any jumping. Unweighted air squats were fine. I did lots of air squats starting the day after surgery. When I went into have the stitches out I had full range of motion and didn’t need PT.

emil

6-8 weeks seems to be the generic consensus, although there’s not much research out there one way or another, it’s kind of like the 3 sets of 10 reps, people say because they’ve heard others say it.

the time frame is more of mix between the doc’s experience and CYA. but be dilligent with your PT especially your home exercises and they should be able to give you a better estimate one way or another.depending on your insurance, they can even integrate some agility and plyometric drills towards the end of your recovery. the plyometrics have been shown to be effective in knee rehab.

time frame for KM is hard to predict, as opposed to simpler activities like just running or jumping, because there’s little research out there for MA and it’s such a varied activity, one minute you are jumping, next minute you are twisting. your knee takes tremendous stresses, especially when you add a speed component to the exercise. also keep in mind that closed chain activities are more effective for rehab( exercises where your feet are connected to the ground vs leg extensions).

maskedkat

Good info!
    Garddawg, you are a freakin’ machine! Squats the DAY OF surgery?

Doing the exercise at home is important. I have a very sedentary job, and it helps to sort of march in place or \”bicycle\” my knee throughout the day. Amazing how much your quads and hamstrings tighten up – stretching is crucial.

The twisting motions and quick stop/start stuff in KM will be a challenge. I got a WaveMaster for Xmas and for awhile was trying to just work on my punching and elbows and hammerfists and stuff…. but you find out just how much that involves the hips, knees, and ankles!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: