Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    monkeyboy808

Re: Why Krav?

Because I was tired of being a wimp.

jsumm54421

I decided on Krav Maga after first studing the concepts of Jeet Kune Do. Once I understood that being able to defend yourself was a personal journey that should not be bound by a single style, then I new Krav Maga was for me. Krav Maga takes basic techniques from many fighting arts, adds pressure and intensity to form an easy to learn practical self defense system.

I’ve trained in the KMAA system for 7 years, trained at the IKMA US head quarters and I am currently a Certified Commando Krav Maga Instructor. My background also includes Small Circle Jujitsu, boxing, Jeet Kune do, Goshi Shun Karate, WTF Taekwondo to name a few. My students have backgrounds in Krav Maga, Boxing, Aikido, Karate, TKD, Ninjitsu, BJJ, MMA, Wrestling, Broad Sword and some with no previous experience. So you see that we never fight about styles, but instead, share information. A student’s cup must be empty before I allow them to join our class.

Krav Maga fits well for me because it matches my personality. No system, technique, rank or belt color means anything in a real, life threating, attack! The individual can only rely on their own personal training and attributes to survive. When you see me do Krav Maga, Or CKM you will see “me”, the individual and never a stamp out of some system. My training is personal and inviting of all styles and systems. Krav Maga is still one of my personal favorites.

Jason

alx

In the country I live and was born in (Germany) people usually believe that nothing can happen to them because the state and the state police are going to take care of them. At the same time the police does not have any right to interfere if the actual crime has not been commited yet. That made me look into self-defense and I found Krav Maga on the internet (by accident on Wikipedia).

What I wanted was self-defense what I found was self-defense, a great work-out and a bunch of really nice people.

I am 22 years old, but I actually haven’t started my Krav yet, but I am beginning next week (hope that doesn’t disqualify me from this thread haha). Anyway, I started doing different types of martial arts when I was younger everything from kung fu to karate. I never got into it because I got bored with all the pretty “forms” that I had to memorize and was much more interested in learning something that would actually be useful. Anyway, I saw Krav Maga on one of those fighting shows on the discovery channel and became really interested. That was about 8 months ago, and I pledged to myself that once I had some time and graduated from college (this past Sunday) that I would dedicate my summer to learning and practicing Krav Maga. I will be starting my classes this upcoming Monday (or Tuesday if they aren’t open on Memorial Day) and I am really excited about it. My story isn’t half as exciting as most, but I thought I would share my $.02 because I am really excited to be a part of this whole thing.

kdak63

I was going to Israel in Oct 2007 and I was toying with the idea of having a little self defense knowledge. I was looking into various martial arts, but not seriously. Then in June of that year I saw, on the news, a story of a girl in Kansas who was abducted from a Target parking lot in broad daylight, sometime around 7:00 pm. She hadn’t parked far from the store or anything and had done everything she should have to be safe. There was footage of it on video. I thought to myself, how often am I in the same situation she was. Going to my car alone after shopping in the early evening. At first I thought about carrying a weapon, but that may not always be that easy to get to if need be. Then I heard about Krav Maga from a book my Nephew was reading. Having never heard of it before I thought it was fiction, like the book he was reading. I googled it anyway just for fun and found out it was legit. I looked into it further and I liked the practicality of it and also the fact that it was Israeli. I was thinking, if I don’t carry a weapon maybe I could become a weapon. I was pleased to find that one of the 4 schools in my state teaching Krav was just 13 miles from my home. So I tried it out. I was exhausted after the first class and also hooked. Now I have passed my yellow belt and I train about 11 hours a week, I love it and I like knowing that I can defend myself should I ever need to.

gabe

I was looking for a functional method, something that i could se in any situation, a good self-defense, i started up at BJJ (im from Brasil) and it sucks for fighting, because i never would fight someone on the floor on the street, then i did kung fu, it was very conditioning but too much tradition and too little fight techniques, then i moved up to Hawaiian Kenpo (a variation of Kajukenbo created by Bill Ryusaki it envolves a mixture of many martial arts adapted for self-defense and functional use) and i still do till today (1 year), on January i went for a KM lesson with the guys that i do Kenpo and i just loved, but i didn¥t want to abandon Kenpo since i was progressing very fast. So i do both today, it helps me greatly in conditioning, toguether with my Parkour training i have become much fitter and prepared, and the combination of both fighting techniques really helps alot.

I fell asleep on a Greyhound bus out in Tuscon heading to San Anton. When I woke up I was in Level 1 class and some bozo had me in a headlock. I’ve never been the same since.

No seriously I knew someone who took Krav and went in for the 90 minute intro over at NTC that was taught by Patterson. Signed up on the spot once he showed some defenses (including gun and knife).

Been sore for about 3 years now.

P

cearball

Came across krav completly by accident.
    Mate from work was interested in doing TKD & i was searching on google for schools in our area, somehow ended up on a krav website.
    Never really been interested in unarmed martial arts before but krav appealed to me & turned out it was being taught about 5 mins from my work place which was a bonus, went along & been hooked since .

thecrownsown

For me, it was for a number of reasons.
    Krav Maga was something unique, and very practical. After visiting a number of different dojo’s, gyms, etc. just decided that Krav Maga would give me the most benefit for my money. Simply put, it would train me in self defense, and get me in better shape. After joining, I’ve felt better at work and the stress no longer eats me up! Our centre was offering afternoon classes 2-3pm. Used to leave the office and go at least once a week. When I got back to work, even my assistant said she saw a more relaxed me! Unfotunately they’ve stopped until fall.

It may sound a little cheesy, but economically it was better than paying for Karate, and also paying for a gym membership. Now if only KM mercandise wasn’t so expensive! $45 for a shirt! rofl2

octopussy

Beacuse KM gives you the real thing.
    Specialy Israeli Krav Maga of David Kahn in USA.

He’s a very good Instructor of the Israeli Krav Maga
    David is also a student of Haim Gidon from the IKMA, he started the first organisation in the world.

Kida,

Timo from Holland

anewlease

After my encounter with an intruder in my home with my kids and I asleep (long story on another thread), my counselor invited me to a seminar, and I was hooked. I love it. And, believe me, I hate exercise, and traditional exercise bores me, but this has me jogging and doing push-ups, and now I actually enjoy it. I have a little fighter in me, and KM helps get my stress out. It’s real. Size doesn’t matter. The techniques matter. I’m still in a six-week women’s only course, but I’m signing up the minute the six weeks is over. I will never be a “victim” again.

tko99

It’s practical and provides an awesome workout (esp. the fitness classes that supplements the self defense… boy are they brutal but at the same time top notch).

dunc

I wanted a no nonsense martial art. No mumbo jumbo, no personality cults, no uniforms.

More martial, less art.

dunc

more wag,
    less bark.

tbbfan76

I got exposed in 2005 while in the Navy. My ships MWR had Jon Pascal (Force Training) came out with this really intense french guy to certify us as instructors. After the first class (9 hrs) I was so sore but I liked it. When we finished and passed the test. I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I like how everything is relevant and uses the bodies natural movements.

I got out of the Navy but was not certified to teach civilians and there is so much more for me to learn. So I just started back up and actually last night was my first class in 2 years. It felt great. I was rusty but it was coming back.

We were going over chokes from the front and my partner could not fit her hands all the way around my neck so the French guy came over and started chocking the **** out of me. I broke free and he told me I had two choices either get free or pass out.

I maybe a little crazy but I loved it..

sundance

I learned about KM after doing research online. I loved it because KM teaches practical street self-defense no fancy sport moves. My confidence level went up after a few months.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: