Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    jenn

Re: Why Krav?

I got into krav a 18 months ago thru a friend. She and I were doing mandatory self-defense training with the Federal Air Marshalls (my airline is the ONLY one that does self-defense training with the FAMs). She’s been doing krav for 5 years. That day she noticed I was the only one (out of 40) just beating the sh!t out of the pads and a week later she took me to a conditioning class. I’ve been hooked ever since!

No plane that I’m on is going to fly into a building!

Besides – Krav is a better work out than training for triathlons, which I’ve been doing for 7 years.

ryan

That “really intense french guy” is Richard Grillat. I miss Richard…

vinman

quote Monkeyboy808:

Because I was tired of being a wimp.

honesty

tbbfan76

quote Ryan:

when you say I miss Richard you don’t mean something happened to him do you? I hope not. He was a great guy and instructor. He really made it more than just a class. With his military background he made it more relevant for us.

silas

I’ve always been interested in taking a martial art for defense purposes but never really followed up on it mostly because alot of it just seemed silly and useless and I wanted training that would compliment not impede my natural reflexes and instincts. I dont pretend to think I could walk into the UFC and walk away with a belt but I have always been able to hold my own even with people who had “supposed” training (it’s like you can buy blackbelts in 12 packs at Wal-Mart or something). Anyway I thought I had been in fights before but i changed my mind after I was in a life or death battle 2 years ago. A friend of mine got in an argument with some gang-banger (guy 1) and his friend (guy 2) decided that if you disagree with my friends you need to die, and went to his car and got a metal bat. The scene I walked onto was guy 2 advancing on my friends blind side with what looked like every intention of bashing his head in. I charged the guy, he turned and swung at my head i ducked in and cut of his swing with my forearm and shoulder followed up imediatly with 2 elbows to the face which busted him wide open and then i took him down in a solid choke hold. I know there were flaws with this approach but it worked and the people I care about walked away safe. 3 things i walked away with are;

1. I never want to be the guy who loses, ever.
    2. I need more control, i may have killed the guy if my friends hadnt pulled me off, i had a solid game ending choke hold and i was in a red haze of fury. Self defense or no that could very easily have ended with me in prison, and that was truelly scary.
    3. What if i just got lucky?

These led me to redouble my efforts to find some training. I had never heard of Krav Maga but saw it on the sign of a defense school right near my house and went right home and looked it up. Watched some videos and knew without a doubt that was where i needed to be. I’m going to my third class on Sat. and loving it, the rest is history.

Well thats my story, sorry if it’s massive wall of text but once i started it all kinda came out.

steve009

Hi im new to the amazing site guys ang girls so hi eveyone.
    ive only just started taking lessons and boy are they good. just a bit peed due to the fact its costing £11 for an hour lesson and its only once a week, should be two lessons atleast!!

sheisa

Im late to this post but the story is I was in the best shape of my life when I did boxing in NYC (it was for fitness but had the most insane instructor –balanced both fear and humor in one body). One week I was away and the sub make us do some drills I questioned but did them anyway. Bottom line: I got majorly injured. My shoulders cannot even be surgurically repaired. So I resign myself to spin and running for the rest of my days. My shoulders still dislocate today.

So, I move to San Antonio and gain 25 pounds (half from trying all the good foods and half because I just cant seem to get into working out. I did join a gym but the instructors just werent any good compared to NYC).

I finally decide Im fat, miserable and need some kick butt exercise. I find out there is Krav Maga here but wonder if I can do it with my shoulders. I decide despite the cost, Im going to join anyway and hope for the best. That was THREE WEEKS ago. My body is bruised (knuckles and knees) but I am blissfully happy. I find myself doing 2 hour nights at the KM center. I find the instructors masachistic but I go home and rave about it. Dh is so happy. He says he got his wife back (guess i have been missing for 2 years and didnt know it). I realize its much harder with 25 pounds hanging on but I will get back into fighting shape. So far the shoulders are good. im trying to keep things balanced so I dont over do it too much.

saruotoko

quote Sheisa:

Im late to this post but the story is I was in the best shape of my life when I did boxing in NYC (it was for fitness but had the most insane instructor –balanced both fear and humor in one body). One week I was away and the sub make us do some drills I questioned but did them anyway. Bottom line: I got majorly injured. My shoulders cannot even be surgurically repaired. So I resign myself to spin and running for the rest of my days. My shoulders still dislocate today.

So, I move to San Antonio and gain 25 pounds (half from trying all the good foods and half because I just cant seem to get into working out. I did join a gym but the instructors just werent any good compared to NYC).

I finally decide Im fat, miserable and need some kick butt exercise. I find out there is Krav Maga here but wonder if I can do it with my shoulders. I decide despite the cost, Im going to join anyway and hope for the best. That was THREE WEEKS ago. My body is bruised (knuckles and knees) but I am blissfully happy. I find myself doing 2 hour nights at the KM center. I find the instructors masachistic but I go home and rave about it. Dh is so happy. He says he got his wife back (guess i have been missing for 2 years and didnt know it). I realize its much harder with 25 pounds hanging on but I will get back into fighting shape. So far the shoulders are good. im trying to keep things balanced so I dont over do it too much.

Let me just say that Pete and his trainers will take great care of you. 🙂

Also…look around to try to meet Mara and her hubby. She’s on the welcoming committee here on the forums.

Welcome to Krav, and keep those shoulders attached!

Mario

bodysculptor

I’ve always been interested in taking up a martial art, but always found the few classes I went to were to rehearsed and not made for the street, so I just stuck to weight training… but it wasn’t giving me the all over functionality I wanted, so I started doing BJJ when UFC became popular, I did a few classes it was cool, the only thing is after each class I always thought if something happened to me on the street how is BJJ gonna help me, I don’t trying to get someone on the concrete when they could be carrying a knife or gun, the truth is I didn’t feel BJJ would be beneficial for the street, so I gave it up.

I followed this pattern for a few years trying stuff and giving up, because it wasn’t giving me the combat I needed for the street, I heard about Krav maga accidentallly while doing one of my google search’s for street fighting, I found out there was a class going on close to my house, when I went to my first class, I knew straightaway this was the one for me, it was just what I’ve been searching for.

The drills are exciting and real to life, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to learn REAL self defense.

tomtom

quote steve009:

Hi im new to the amazing site guys ang girls so hi eveyone.
    ive only just started taking lessons and boy are they good. just a bit peed due to the fact its costing £11 for an hour lesson and its only once a week, should be two lessons atleast!!

Haha, I pay £10 for each one Hour & half lesson! Your not the only one paying that sort of money, Krav is not cheap in the UK it seems! Although I don’t have to purchase all the matching uniform rubbish which a lot or “martial arts” seems to love, so thats one saving grace!

kravmdjeff

quote Ryan:

Apparantly Richard doesn’t think of new and exciting ways to threaten the necessity of a feeding tube for the rest of your life like he does to other people.

I did martial arts all growing up, and the mantra was all about “watch your control, watch your control”. I’m, 6’5”, 240lb, so that was a lot of control to watch. First Krav class, I was told to punch and kick as hard as I could. That was freedom I never had before, and it fit with my personality.

That, and my wife was becoming a social worker, and there’s no way she was going to do home visits without self-defense.

Roughly five years later, KM has wholesale invaded my life, in a good way.

ryan

I remember teaching a force training course with Richard once (I hope you are safe, brother), and we were teaching 360s. Richard proceeded to pull his folder, and with no warning, give me an upward stab, which I thankfully defended. I wasn’t sure whether to be flattered, because he thought so highly of my skills, or be very afraid because he was trying to kill me.

That said, Richard embodies the KM mindset. It’s always funny to watch a group of “been there, done that”, young, strong dudes, cower in a corner when he enters a room.

dckm

it was a series of events that led up to it for me.
    getting robbed at gunpoint was the straw that broke the camel’s back. also since i do club promotions, guys in dc were robbing promoters for sport. i don’t like being anyone’s target. i like the simplicity of it and the realness of the system. now that i’ve signed up, i’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

kravmdjeff

Ryan, that definitely goes in the “don’t try this at home” category.

ryan

Trained professionals…

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: