Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    spartan0311

Re: Why Krav?

I have not signed up yet but will be this July. I am a Correctional Officer at a maximum security facility and my Dept. will pay all tuition but I have to wait till July 1st. I will be taking classes at the KMWW Owings Mills / Columbia centers. I have no MA background but am familiar with basic SD techniques through on the job training and some MCMAP from when I was active duty USMC. In my line of work going from 0-balistic is a must if you want to come home to your family every night. Granted its certainly not everyday, but I can recall some pretty hairy moments and quite a few use of force reports…
    The more I looked into Krav the more I saw that it was a perfect system for not only my needs but my natural tendancies. I naturally fight open handed and tent to parry/strike. I also believe that the only way to win a fight is through sheer violence and intensity!
    I am really looking forward to some no BS training and getting my tail whooped every workout!!!

sues

Because there really are monsters out there, and the scary part is that they look just like you and me.

night-robin

“Human Weapon” and finally getting my butt up and looking for places to learn how to fight. I loved the “Human Weapon” show and watched every episode. So when I went shopping around for a place to learn Martial Arts, I went by Ryan Hoover’s Extreme Karate here in Gastonia, NC. A worker there mentioned all the styles they teach including Krav Maga which rung a bell from “Human Weapon”. After deciding that was the best place to train, I signed up and have been there for about 8 months now.

kvmorl

Hard to find a more qualified place/instructor than that for Krav Maga…thumbsup

night-robin

quote kvmorl:

Hard to find a more qualified place/instructor than that for Krav Maga…thumbsup

Agreed. The place is top notch and the classes are demanding but rewarding. I have a blast. I haven’t actually met Ryan Hoover yet because I am still taking Intro and Level 1, but my Intro Instructor said he is apparently going to be administering the Level 1 test I intend to take. So we shall see. Everyone speaks of the guy in very high regard and I’m currently making my way through the “Krav Maga for Beginners” book he co-authored.

kravjeff

I actually was reading one of the Tom Clancy “Splinter Cell” books, wherein the primary character of the story used KM … They made it sound awesome in the story, but I didn’t even know if it was “real.” I “Googled” Krav Maga, talked to JamesH that afternoon and the rest as they say, is history. I did one class a few days later and signed up that night. That was early 2005 …

night-robin

quote kravjeff:

I actually was reading one of the Tom Clancy “Splinter Cell” books, wherein the primary character of the story used KM … They made it sound awesome in the story, but I didn’t even know if it was “real.” I “Googled” Krav Maga, talked to JamesH that afternoon and the rest as they say, is history. I did one class a few days later and signed up that night. That was early 2005 …

Like Sam Fisher Splinter Cell? Like from the video game Splinter Cell also? Sam Fisher uses Krav Maga? Jeez! How long have I been exposed to this stuff without knowing?:confused:

kravjeff

quote Night Robin:

Like Sam Fisher Splinter Cell? Like from the video game Splinter Cell also? Sam Fisher uses Krav Maga? Jeez! How long have I been exposed to this stuff without knowing?:confused:

That’s him!!! 🙂

night-robin

quote kravjeff:

That’s him!!! 🙂

Man this stuff is everywhere! I have been stalked by Krav Maga for years. Did I choose it, or did it choose me? :Surprised:

ryan

Night Robin, are you normally at RHEK Tuesday and Thursday nights? I am glad you are enjoying the training.

All the best,
    Ryan

night-robin

quote Ryan:

Night Robin, are you normally at RHEK Tuesday and Thursday nights? I am glad you are enjoying the training.

All the best,
    Ryan

Yep. I rarely miss unless I’m sick or something. I go to the 6-6:45 Krav Intro class, and then the 6:45-7:45 Krav Level 1 class. Sometimes I can’t believe how much my endurance has improved. I’m thinking about attending the Monday BJJ/Thai Boxing classes when I can.

farhan

The first I heard of KM was on ‘Human Weapon’. I was in DC at the time. The principles and the simplicity sparked my interest. I always wanted to learn some form of Martial Arts. But never got a chance. I had signed up my wife and myself for ‘Personal Training Sessions’ and had some base fitness knowledge. Later I moved to Charlotte NC and found RHEK.

And itís been one sweet ride ever since. I convinced my wife into joining. We take the Intro and Level 1 back to back. And like ‘Night Robin’ said I don’t miss class. I actually came to class last week when I was sick (don’t worry it wasn’t contagious, it was an infection). I have been contemplating taking BJJ, despite a brimming schedule.

And while I am at the subject, I have to say that the facility ‘RHEK’ its self had a huge part in my wife’s decision to join. She loved the family and homely feel of the facility. I love the kids running around all over the place in their outfits while we are taking class. Over all very pleased with my decision!

ryan

I’ll be teaching those classes at FTF in Charlotte tonight, if you guys want to head out there. Due to our inclement weather policy, which follows the respective public school systems, we’ll have classes at FTF but not at RHEK.

All the best!

night-robin

quote Ryan:

I’ll be teaching those classes at FTF in Charlotte tonight, if you guys want to head out there. Due to our inclement weather policy, which follows the respective public school systems, we’ll have classes at FTF but not at RHEK.

All the best!

Oh man. I would love to, but I have stuff I was gonna have to attend to immediately after my classes tonight.

pdxvance42

1. I’m sick of being so out of shape.
    2. I wanted to study a practical Self Defense system.
    3. I wanted my kids to study a practical Self Defense system.

Over the years I have played around with Tae Kwon Do, Wu Ying Tao (An American eclectic style), Wing Chun, Wushu Kung Fu and Arnis. Although there were things I enjoyed about each, I always became dissillusioned with either the style, the instructors or the school/org. itself (or all the above).

I’ve never been worked out as hard as at the Krav classes; and I’ve never been encouraged to go all out. The people and instructors are fantastic and the level of professionalism (and lack of ego) is refreshing.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: