Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    hicklinc

Re: Why Krav?

quote MDeaneUSCG:

KM, at least in the base levels, is designed to give 99% of people the capability to defend themselves from 99% of the attacks they are likely to face. As my instructor put it “Would a BJJ expert be able to protect his groin while keeping you in guard? Maybe, but what are the chances you’ll be assaulted by a BJJ expert? More likely, the guy assaulting you will be some moron that watched a little too much UFC”.

So, in that regard, KM does exactly what it sets out to do, which is give real people a real defensive system, against real attacks. KM isn’t trying to win an episode of Ultimate Warrior, and be the fighting system to beat all fighting systems.

Also, I don’t know about your gym, but we have side courses that are tailored toward increasing your ground fighting abilities, with it’s own curriculum. This ability to cross train, and to incorporate other styles into KM where it works, is what makes the system effective in an ever-evolving world of self defense.

nicely put

I agree with Lions2011 that Krav is probably not perfect. I also agree that the Krav World Wide schools offer supplemental courses to help develope ground fighting skills. We are tought to stay off the ground – but if on the ground – Krav has a number of techniques designed to help you get off the ground and to defend while down. I am only a yellow belt, having taken Krav for about a year – but like it a lot.

Why Krav? – Fitness

good techniques
    stress drills
    good contact drills – the Hapkido and JKD I take doesn’t have nearly as much pad hitting as Krav

uberwensch

I’m a 5’6 female with a spirited mouth. I moved from my fairly laid-back hometown to Australia’s biggest city and found myself either getting into situations I potentially couldn’t handle, or dropping my eyes and letting distasteful stuff happen to other people because I was too scared to get involved.

The latter is what caused me to start thinking about self defense. Which is not to say I was looking for fights, not at all. But I never want to sit silently in a peak hour train carriage and listen to some asshole spit racial slur after racial slur at a quiet Indian guy in the corner ever again. It was one of the most degrading experiences I have ever had–not just for the guy being victimised, but for myself. I lost a lot of respect for myself that day, and for everyone else who sat silently with me. It felt like I was doing myself a disservice by not having the courage to stand up and say what I was thinking because I was scared it would escalate.

On top of that, there are just the things that happen generally in this city. Once it gets dark the place can become a free-for-all. I just wanted to round out my life so I could feel confident in my ability to ensure I was safe at all times. I’m confident at work, I’m confident in personal exchanges and it bugged me that there was an area of existence where I had nothing to fall back on.

I started looking, and then started researching this Krav/Kapap/Street Edge guy that I was supposed to interview for work (I am a journalist) and just knew that Krav was what I had been looking for.

Signed up for an induction that day and have been training for a little over a month now.

blaine24

Im new to Krav Maga, only been doing for 3 weeks now, but, the reason I chose is was after 3 years of Wing Chun, I just felt I couldn’t defend myself at all.

Don’t get me wrong, Wing Chun is an amazing system, however, for me, it wasn’t what I was looking for, there’s a lot of theory behind the moves, their very precise and take (for me anyway) a long time to get down, and I didn’t feel we were doing enough pressure testing or reality training.

Now after 3 weeks of Krav Maga, my confidence has started to come back, as its constant pressure, getting hit, plus knife and ground work, its exactly what I have been looking for, and one thing I have realised is that a certian amount of fitness is required to survive a fight that lasts longer than it should, after say, 30 seconds of constant punching, its surprising how it wears you down.

But the good thing is, the principles arn’t so different from Wing Chun, like relaxation, deflection rather than hard blocking, both attack and defence at same time, just different the way their applied, rather than ‘traditional’ martial art methods.

So yeah, loving Krav Maga, hope I can stick at it and explore it deeper in time.

becca63

Hello, I am looking for Krav Maga School/Classes in Galveston County or Harris County. My son is Krav Maga Instructor and Love It. My son, DC, is now living in LasVegas, Nv (were he is a Krav Maga Instructor) & would like to relocate back to Galveston or Harris County. Thanks for any help in this matter. 🙂

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum,

Best place is to check via this link. If you don’t see any in your area, just keep checking back:wav:

https://kravmaga.com/locations/licensees-affiliates/licenseesaffiliates-worldwide-all-locations-list/

cs81953

I am new to this blog. I am 57-years-old and a Krav Maga student. I am getting ready for my level 1 test .

I am the oldest person in my class, and my instructor says I am doing well, but I need to work on cardio. I feel good that I’ve made it this far in my class when most folks my age are beginning to have serious health problems.

I lost weight when I first starting taking Krav Maga, but that has leveled off now.I am not losing or gaining weight, but I do feel much better physically. When my weight loss stopped, I also lost motivation to push forward.

I go to Krav Maga class twice a week. Each class lasts about 60 minutes but is very intense.

Any suggestions in getting over the last hump so I can pass my test?

Thanks for your help,
    Cathy

unstpabl1

quote cs81953:

I am new to this blog. I am 57-years-old and a Krav Maga student. I am getting ready for my level 1 test .

I am the oldest person in my class, and my instructor says I am doing well, but I need to work on cardio. I feel good that I’ve made it this far in my class when most folks my age are beginning to have serious health problems.

I lost weight when I first starting taking Krav Maga, but that has leveled off now.I am not losing or gaining weight, but I do feel much better physically. When my weight loss stopped, I also lost motivation to push forward.

I go to Krav Maga class twice a week. Each class lasts about 60 minutes but is very intense.

Thanks for your help,
    Cathy

Thats awesome. I’m one of the oldest in my Muay thai gym. I definately train more than any one within 20 years of me.

Weight loss is not really related to exercise as much as people think. It is about nutrition. When you start a new high intensity workout like krav you may see results until your body adapts to the work load. Its the same reason your workouts feel easier than on Day one

I gained weight doing MT and I workout pretty much everyday from an hour – 3 hours at a time. The moral is that you cannot out work a bad diet. i eat like crap. So that is where I’d look if the goal is weight loss.

i know some younger guys who lost a ton of weight that don’t work as hard or worry about diet but metabolism and even medications can affect us in our 50’s

cardio is a never ending battle for any fighter. The best thing to do is to condition thru the activity. Meaning by doing krav or marathon running will condition you best for THAT activity.

Of couse you can work outside Strength and Conditioning like Crossfit but plodding along for an hour on a treadmill isn’t an answer. One of the best and cheapest things you can do is jumping rope. every fighter uses it.

You can start by jumping for a 3 minute round or 2 with 30 second rests. Don’t sweat it everyone takes breaks within those 3 minutes for awhile. Or simple do 50-100 single unders ( 50-100 turns of the rope).

Good luck

rabid-dog

quote cs81953:

Thanks for your help,
    Cathy

I totally agree with the quote from unstpabl1, i only posted in my introduction earlier that i hope I’m not to old for KM at 37yrs and this post and the way you stick at it is superb so keep going, i know it’s not the answer to your question but it’s a great example to anyone who worries about how old you need to be and shows it’s for all at all ages and all levels bow1

fennyq

just want more information

cs81953

Well, thanks for the compliment! I am getting closer to passing my level 1 test. Mock test #3 is coming up soon. My problem is that I can’t seem to find time to work out between classes. With a job, and a busy social life, I find it hard to get to the gym. I won a free gym membership when I sent in an answer to the question “how do you stay fit” to our local newspaper. It seems our city was designated the laziest city in the country by “Men’s Health” magazine. The contest was to prove to this publication that some of our residents do exercise. I am saving my money for 4 sessions with a personal trainer whom I hope will help motivate me to get going.

narv

I’m new to this forum, and also to Krav Maga.
    My whole life I have always been interested in Martial Arts. I have a background with 3 years of Karate and 1 year of Boxing. I then had a big pause from MA for a couple of years, but now want to do it again. I have looked/tried things like Muay Thai and MMA, both great styles, but just not the thing I’m looking for.

I’m a young man in his early twenties, so of course I go out with friends for having a good time at bars and clubs. And so does my girlfriend. She is a beautiful girl, no doubt, but that also means a lot of other men are hitting on her. That is okay by me – after all men are only men, right? – but what I can’t accept, are drunk assholes that can’t take no for a answer and starts to hold her against a wall, having hands all over her, even though she keeps saying no, pushes them or even slaps them.
    I get so freaking pissed when she tells me these kinds of things has happened, and I can really feel how scared she must have been in the situation.

So, Krav is the perfect mix for me. I both get my “martial art sport”, AND the skills to protect myself and the persons I love.

grizz8006

I work diff types of Security and was working in a bar one night in a bad area. When I had 2 guys fighting when I walked over I notice he kept trying to go for something. He lifted up his shirt enough for me to realize it was a knife. I was able to disarm him and remove all the threats but really had me thinking about my line of work. I read about Krav Maga somewhere on line and was hooked! I can’t imagine life without it mostly because it has saved me a few times. I also work for a law office when people are in the middle of getting divorced I can go on the womens behalf to collect her court ordered property. Its very scary because alot of the men and even few women were abusive in the relationship , and I am now alone in a house with them while they are angry!

paco

I was taking Taekwondo and got to a point where my knees could not take the twisting and spinning, after I had surgery on both my knees and no actual cartilage as a result I decided (with the urging of my Dr., Mom and Wife) I had to stop TKD. My TKD instructors had started learning Krav Maga and were working towards becoming instructors and they said I would love it and there is no real “un-natural” twisting of the knees, etc.

I discussed it with my Dr. and he agreed that I should try it out, because he knows I can’t just sit still so he might as well go along with it.

Since then I have loved it and enjoy every class, even the ones with the one guy who gets a little wild or the other guy who’s grappling gloves don’t secure all the way and I get Velcro burns.

I have since been asked, and am considering, going down the Instructor path; starting with Next Generation Krav Maga. I figure I’d start teaching kids and work my way up to adult instruction if I feel the calling.

kiddon

quote grizz8006:

it was a knife. I was able to disarm him and remove all the threats

There are no real answers to defend a knife attack, there are many tecknics to defend a menace of a kinefe, very diferent, if an assailant has intent to stab you, you have no chance, never try dysarm a guy with a knife mainly if he is a safe distance and if he wants to attack you, you must run away if you dont want die…thumbsup

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: