Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    don

Re: Why the hate for KM?

quote brewmasher:

“Your white crane kung fu will never beat my tiger kung fu”rofl2

Hey Don’t Hate!

You do remember what happened next, don’t you? 😡

;):

revobuzz

I think that there is always style bashing. Just go on any Martial Art forum. Krav often get’s marketed as the “ultimate self defence” or something similar and that get’s peoples back up. If there was one ultimate martial art everyone would do it.

shipwreck

quote revobuzz:

I think that there is always style bashing. Just go on any Martial Art forum. Krav often get’s marketed as the “ultimate self defence” or something similar and that get’s peoples back up. If there was one ultimate martial art everyone would do it.

To me (and please correct me if I am wrong) I see Krav Maga as a self defense rather than a martial art. Sure there are things like proper form etc. that we practice but not to the point of what the others do. In a street fight, form counts for d*ck and intelligence goes out the window.

I knew an amateur MMA fighter quite a few years back that practiced in ‘Pankration’ and he put it perfectly in my mind. He said that martial arts are just that. Art. They look amazing and have some sort of practicality but all the flash and style doesn’t do you much good when you are facing a mugger with a knife or gun or multiple attackers (regardless of what Jet Li and Jackie Chan movies show).

I don’t see Krav Maga as a martial art, but rather, like I said, a self defense form. We don’t learn fancy katas and smooth, fluid footwork with staffs. We learn how to get out of a deadly situation quickly and efficiently which is good enough for me.

This quote stands true no matter what style you practice.

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

As much as people hate Kata’s they are and can be effective if you understand what the techniques of each move represent. They do not need to be used to or practiced for your style to be effective. However consider that every style has some sort of trained defense and combative counter which most style call one-steps. These may merely be two or three techniques which transition better then others. For instance when we use the two handed pluck defense against a chock from the front. Most practitioners follow up with a front kick to the groin, then transition into a series of combatives which they feel most comfortable with.

I think in the end most people that don’t dojo hoop have a pretty lop sided view of other styles. I practice several different styles and have a respect for anything that works. It also seems (mainly because I train on a college campus) that most your young practitioners (under 30) of any style only respect what can be proven in the ring. I workout with a lot of folks that refuse to do any stand-up sparring, they truly believe a good ground game is all you need to survive any fight. I also know guys that refuse to kick to the groin. They show up each week with no cup and expect to spar but insist on no kicks in the groin.

in the end these things stand true when everything goes bad

you train like you fight and fight like you train
    one is none and two is one
    there will be a day when you can’t tap out

train hard and be safe,

kmyoshi

The problems with katas is there is no stress/live training when practicing katas (at least this was when I was training in TKD many years ago). That reason alone is why I don’t think katas will be worth much in an actual violent encounter. Theoretically if you practice/train it over and over again your body will instinctively do the kata moves, but we all know that when sh*t hits the fan this is not always the case. This can also be said with Krav or any other system/artt but with a choke defense for example, I ask my training partner to really try to choke me. It is up to me to deliver the proper pluck/counter attack and finish him off.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Fights are fluid / organic – kata’s are not, its as simple as that

Anonymous

I was just thinking about this as I was looking around Muay Thai forums and they were slating krav. It seems fairly obvious that a pro MT fighter would do good in a ring, but what about vs. 3 guys yelling at you, you can’t clinch 3 at once.

Personally I am looking forward to the stress part when I start krav-maga as I think this is what people forget about in self-defence. Being used to fighting under stress (like when you punch a bag and people pull you back/dark lights/people shouting) must come in handy.

They were also saying that krav doesn’t teach normal punches, just cheap shots to the groin…(which they view as a bad thing, but I’m pretty sure the guy who wants to send you to hospital doesn’t exactly want an honorouble match…)

I think it is just a martial arts elitism, and is annoying as I would never bash a martial art or defence system without facts, it’s so childish…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: