Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

There’s some discussion about this in the ‘Training With Gloves’ thread:

https://kravmaga.com/forum/showthread.php?p=47334#post47334

I was curious if using wraps in training was ‘standard’ over in the USA.
    Here in Euro-land, from what I’ve seen in various countries, no one uses wraps
    ever & gloves (MMA or boxing) generally come on only for sparring.

The use of wraps seems a good idea to me to reduce the chance of injury.

How do you all find using wraps during a regular session eg: strikes, choke release, blocks etc..?

bradm

Re: Wraps in training

When I trained in Krav Maga, we always used wraps.

mara-jade

Hubby and I used wraps in 1 and 2, with gloves for sparring. Three if we did drills with LOTS of punches we’d use wraps and gloves. On punch drills sometimes we use these. Still trying them out so not sure how much I like them yet

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-speed-wraps.html

unstpabl1

I think wraps or mma gloves are a smart choice in preventive care. mostly in protecting the wrists. its so easy to roll the wrist, then add the wear and tear of caviliers. You krav guys punch so often in drills it can become a repetitive type injury..long time to heal.

In the classes, I’ve observed lately most seen to favor mma gloves, I assume for the quickness of removing

Hope this helps

smokelaw1

Our school is probably about 50/50. I wear wraps every class, and only take them off when we start doing self-defenses, plucking,etc. I’ve had some wrist issues and some hand issues, so I tend to err on the side of caution. While my hand continues to heal, I actually wear a boxing glove for ALL striking (well, all striking with the hands, anyway).

Personally, at my level (two), I don’t believe in wearing hand protection, because I’m not gonna have it out on the street if I’m attacked. The best safety mechanism is to punch properly, with correct form. If I wore gloves or wraps, I feel that would give me a false sense of security, and then in a real situation the first thing I’d do is break my wrist. For the first several months in Krav, I’d knock the skin off my knuckles sometimes (oftentimes!) while punching, but that went away…. I have calluses now. LOL

Now… when I get to a level where I’m doing cavaliers and things like that, perhaps hand/wrist protection will make more sense to me.

Just my personal preference…

kirsten

I always wear them. I wear them, then MMA gloves, then if I want extra weight and resistance, I wear my 14 oz gloves over both.

I do punch correctly, however my pad holder can screw me on accident and I can get hurt, I can split my knuckle open after an hour on the mitts, (which I hear will make the owner mad if I bleed all over her equipment), and it is good just incase I get tired and I make a bad punch.

unstpabl1

quote Kirsten:

I always wear them. I wear them, then MMA gloves, then if I want extra weight and resistance, I wear my 14 oz gloves over both.

I do punch correctly, however my pad holder can screw me on accident and I can get hurt, I can split my knuckle open after an hour on the mitts, (which I hear will make the owner mad if I bleed all over her equipment), and it is good just incase I get tired and I make a bad punch.

Thats the thing, and everyone has their reasons for what they do, being old…er, my perspective is to keep training consistently. Marc Denny, of Dog brothers fame has a motto So we can walk as warriors for all of our days…tendons develope slower than muscle and take longer to heal…I don’t want to tweak my wrists training then get in a fight that night…I wear groin protection to protect from an accident, mouthpieces, headgear,shinpads and wristwraps for the same reason

A little wisdom from bad experience here:

I pretty much always wore wraps or gloves. While preparing for L3 test I was the monkey in the middle with no gloves or wraps, one or more of the stations were strikes. Well I turned to one of the striking stations and went at it… Well the pad holder wasn’t square to me and “whomp”: my wrist gave and I ended up with a nasty sprain (so much for L3).

It takes for frickin ever for this injury to heal…… In looking into this injury I found that many boxers who train with wrist support get this same injury the first time they throw a punch for real outside the ring with no protection. I had become dependent on the wrist support and when I didn’t have it……wham…..injury.

I’ve since been told that it’s good to train with support but you should routinely do heavy bag work without it so you’re not dependent on it.

I plan to take that advice as soon as this darn thing heals….

CCB

guitarded-1

quote CaptnCornerBanger:

A little wisdom from bad experience here:

I pretty much always wore wraps or gloves. While preparing for L3 test I was the monkey in the middle with no gloves or wraps, one or more of the stations were strikes. Well I turned to one of the striking stations and went at it… Well the pad holder wasn’t square to me and “whomp”: my wrist gave and I ended up with a nasty sprain (so much for L3).

It takes for frickin ever for this injury to heal…… In looking into this injury I found that many boxers who train with wrist support get this same injury the first time they throw a punch for real outside the ring with no protection. I had become dependent on the wrist support and when I didn’t have it……wham…..injury.

I’ve since been told that it’s good to train with support but you should routinely do heavy bag work without it so you’re not dependent on it.

I plan to take that advice as soon as this darn thing heals….

CCB

At one point, I just slightly tweaked my wrist with a hook…not nearly as severe as your case. Nevertheless, it seriously took around 6 months to completely heal. It was a very strange and nagging injury.

hartez

I wear wraps mostly to prevent myself bleeding on everyone. I punch hard enough to take the skin off my two big knuckles regularly if I don’t wear some kind of protection, and the wraps protect the rest of my hands if I happen to be holding a pad that has any pointy bits on it from fraying or splitting. Without them, I’ve cut or scraped off a lot of skin on the sides of my hands holding for people with wicked strong front kicks.

inky

I’ve only just started but you will never see me at class with out them, not that you need them %100 of the time but I have had multiple injuries to my right wrist and I know how very little it takes to put myself back into a wrist brace.

On the other hand when I’m doing bag work at home I never really use them, also I’ve started conditioning my knuckles & wrist by striking a 12×12 board 150 times a day 75L – 75R I do it bare hands but only at 25-30% force and I make sure to keep my form absolutely perfect.

farhan

Can any one relay their experience with wraps while doing activities other than striking. i.e. chokes, grabs…etc. Does it restrict the wrist movement and does it hurt?

kirsten

The velcro can chew you up on the neck if your partner doesn’t have them on very well… Other than that, I have never had them bother me, or heard that they affect the training in a negative manner….

hartez

Sometimes they start to come loose after a few dozen choke defenses (when you’re the attacker). Other than that, they’re fine.

The other really nice thing is that you can put mitts on over them, so you lose a lot less time switching mitts with a partner than you would if you have to put on/take off gloves every time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: