Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    kevin-mack

vertical punches in KM? who teaches this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qb0OoV96yZo

kmky

Re: wtf?

I think that is designed to teach beginners how to keep their elbow in – too often people tend to “chickenwing” their elbows when they try to roll the wrist at the end of the punch.

ds314

Question for the Experts- Does it really matter if you use vertical or horizontal punches? I’ve just recently started throwing vertical punches because I kept landing my punches not with the first two knuckles but the last two knuckles. So I must have been cocking for example my right hand to the left. I actually feel that my power is better punching vertically probably because I’m now contacting most of the power with the first two knuckles.

DS314

bull1189

You get more power by torquing your fist just before the punch lands, and it is harder to deflect that punch as well. The vertical punch is a smidge faster – less to think about, and as you point out DS, easier to teach someone how to contact with the first two knuckles. You see the vertical punche used in a lot of self defense techniques.

I prefer for my students to punch with the torque motion for the more or less horizontal punch (45%, really, but often it ends up being horizontal) for pad/bag work when training for a fight and the vertical punch for self defense when the initial counter is a punch.

bradm

When you first open the KMWW forum there are pictures of instructors and techniques being performed. There was one picture of Amir Perets (I think it was him) doing a knife defense and in doing so, he used a vertical punch.

bradm

Also, I think there is currently a picture of Darren using what looks like a vertical punch in a knife defense.

In Imi’s book, there are lot’s of pictures of Imi and Eyal using the vertical punch.

jamesh-d30

Because of a phenomenon called sympathetic movement, vertical punches are great during techniques suck as overhead stick defense since it’s imperative to keep the defending hand in a vertical position and the elbow down. Students pick up the proper technique much faster when presented that way.

As far as a vertical vs. horizontal punch; just let your arms hang down totally relaxed at your side. You’ll find that the position that your hands rest in is generally the most aligned position for the punch. Most people have about a 45 degree angle on their hands and though everybody is a little different, very few people will have relaxed hands with the palms facing directly backward. If they do, I would suggest a few peck stretching routines…..

f-factory

When I started Krav Maga in 1997, I was taught the vertical punch and it was also how Eyal showed punches to us. The punch with 45 degree angled fist came later. Whether it was the “way of teaching” (ie. to focus on keeping the elbows in) or a change of focus from vertical to 45 dregrees I can’t say. During my instructor course, we were taught to teach the punch with a 45 degree angled fist.

shooter

F-Factory, it must have been the teaching focus. I did the instructors course before 97 with Eyal and we where doing 45 degree punches at the training.

gabriel-rizk

As I understand it, the vertical punch is best used when making a simultaneous attack and defense, or when a punch must be made in tight quarters.

I am new to Krav though, so take it with a grain of salt.

tko99

would it be considered inappropriate if a vertical punch is used during the level one test?

I’m personally more comfortable punching this way and it eliminates all my bad habits (even when I’m extremely exhausted, my technique still holds when I’m utilizing a vertical punch)

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

For those who just started punching and have never really done it before a vertical-fist punch is preferred for 2 simple reasons. A- You are more likely to keep you elbows in. B- You are more likely to strike with the first 2 knucles GREATLY reducing the chances breaking your hand.

It only requires a few weeks or months to be able to to a horizontal-fist punch and maintain arm position and knuckle contact constantly. At that point it really doesnt make a difference.

tko99

Yeah, a lot of times new ppl (including myself when I first started) didn’t really “get it” until a vertical punch was shown and then it clicked from there.
    You don’t really want it to be completely horizontal. That’s 90 degrees instead of 45. My original issue was that I was occasionally rotating 90 degrees instead of 45.
    I’ll prob. go with the 45 degrees punch during the test, but I still like to throw in the vertical once in a while.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: