Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Law Enforcement & Military LEO Private Forums "Your training might have saved my life…"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kirsten

That was the title of an interesting email I recieved this morning. To give you some brief background, Jason came down to participate in the end-user training we offered for the “Annual LE Training Conference” last month. He is not a KM instructor and this was his first time training with KM. We offered 3 seminars on day two, one of which was arrest / control. It was a very short 2 hour seminar.

With his permission, I have reposted it here in hopes of everyone thinking about a few things:

1. How a technique that was taught in the last 5 minutes of an end-user class turned out to be the one that the officer needed to maybe save their life. There is always time to teach JUST ONE more technique. 🙂

2. To always pat-down, even on SFST’s…

3. Krav Maga saves people lives.

I believe that Krav Maga saves lives and that if I can get it to just ONE MORE officer- then maybe, just maybe their life or another’s will be saved by something they learned. I keep teaching and plugging away despite all of the frustrations working with LE admin for this one reason alone. We make a difference as instructors and to never forget that what we do- matters.

Here it is:

“I stopped a biker tonight on suspected DUI. After SFSTs and told he was under arrest, he walked away from me. I grabbed his arms and forced them behind his back, which he continued to pull away and he was getting very angry now. I then snaked my left arm under the bicep areas of both his arms (cant remember what that is called from the class) and was able to contain him. He kept trying to fight so I dumped him face first into the side of the highway. After that, and trying to cuff him, he got an arm loose, but was dazed. After a brief struggle, and moving to a better position, I noticed there was a firearm under his stomach he was reaching for. I was able to get it and throw it out of reach.

I was able to complete the arrest and he was lodged on many charges. I think that control move is AWESOME and it especially set up a great take down. I have always previously tried a one arm take down with some pain compliance and go from there. I think if I would have done that here, he would have got that gun and who knows what after that. I have never patted down prior to SFTS’s in the past, but yeah, definitely now! But thanks again for the awesome training and I hope to train with you all again soon.

Jason H.”

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: "Your training might have saved my life…"

Ive read this a dz times and I still can’t get past the feelings I get from it.

One of the most validating things I’ve read on these forums.

don

Kudos to Jason and thanks for sharing Kirsten! I think hearing that phrase is just about the end all be all for all of us as instructors – whether we are teaching LEO, Military, and/or Civilian self-defense/defensive tactics!

kirsten

It really is a testament to Krav Maga’s defensive tactics training and to Jason himself. He had the quick thinking to apply a technique that he learned in the blink of an eye. It just goes to show you that Krav Maga works; the techniques and the teaching methods. It re-energizes me!!

stevetuna

Wow. Thanks so much for posting that.

As stated, this validates what we teach and motivates us to work harder to convey this knowledge.

Well done, Officer Jason H.!

kirsten

Jason gave me an update on this case. Looks like the FEDS took it…

http://www.justice.gov/usao/or/PressReleases/2010/20100127_Jorgensen.html

sicpuppy

I know I am kind of late to this post (originally 2009 to 2011 now). But, can you tell me more about this technique? Is there a video somewhere that shows it?

Thanx!

resqr1

It sound like a single-wing. Probably no videos since we were not allowed to tape during our instructor training. This is to insure the bad guys don’t get a hold of this info.

kirsten

Yes, it was actually a single-wing takedown. Its a LEO only technique and you will hopefully never see it on video or in a book.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: